• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hi all, I have on order 12 presterilized jars (pf style) with reservoirs added, and six spore syringes. I am going to do an invitro grow. I will probably start with 2 strains. I got the jars with the reservoirs and have a cleaned out drawer ready (temp stays around 75f and rh is 55%) this is room temp and I think I can get away without heating it. I will post pics of everything as I go along.

Since I will have I think 4 syringes extra after shooting up the 12 jars, (sound right?) I may go ahead and order myco bags with ports if my assumption about them is correct.

Are these bags complete invitro tek solutions as well? Just inoculate and let them go right through to fruiting, or do you have to birth and case once colonized?

Please point me to the right thread if I missed it, I have been looking but am a bit unclear on the bags.

Thx

#2 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

there are different kinds of bags..
if you order empty bags and load them yourself.. you can do it invitro ala :
http://mycotopia.net...allon-jars.html

or if you order 'spawn bags' those would most probably have grain in them and are normally used for spawn..

or you can check out www.mycrotopia.com
hippie's site.. he has several sandman style bags that would go invitro or birth in the bag as is..
hippie has some grain (spawn bags) too

good luck :)

#3 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

yeah i think those bags he has can be used like that, myco bags with ports. if the jars will fruit then I think the bags should fruit as well?

F :eusa_thin

#4 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

yup:)

#5 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

If your gonna do those jars invitro...you will want to expose them to light from day 1...so if they are gonna be in a drawer you may want to put a light in their with them..one that won't get hot of course or you'll burn the joint down

Attached Thumbnails

• RocFire.jpg

#6 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

I have the lights. (a set of 2 cost 3.97 at Hdepot batteries not included.) I will post pics of everything once I get it. I priced a terrarium heater at pet co yesterday, they cost about 15 bucks.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

Are these bags complete invitro tek solutions as well? Just inoculate and let them go right through to fruiting , or do you have to birth and case once colonized?

either/or
or used as spawn.

#8 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

the jars arrived today and are sitting in their new home awaiting spores. These are invitro jars with holes in the lids marked IR for inner reservior. I am attempting to follow Hippies invitrotek and (of course) i have a few questions.

1. The jars are in a state currently where contams are not a problem due to the vermiculite barrier?

2. after spore injection, how much water should I add and how/where?

3. after that (spores and water) should I seal up the four holes with tape or silicone, or is it ok just to leave it like that (assuming the vermiculite acts as an effective barrier and allows enough air exchange)

My spores should arrive anyday and we are off to the races...

this is the most fun i've had in years!

F

#9 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

1. yes, contam free state (hopefully)
2. only water to be added is that which comprizes your spore solution
3. just leave the holes open, the verm will do the job

#10 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

Got my spores today and am ready to inject the jars following the invitro tek. I am just going to run out and get a few last things, some alcohol to be sterile, a dust mask and some sterile gloves. I'll try and post some pics this week.

#11 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:41 AM

:bow:OK, my grow is started. Here is how i ended up.

I moved everything home into my cellar. I think my concealment will be ok there. I used 2 syringes on 12 jars, 6 of one strain (south american cubies) and six another(MR cubie). I have them in a plastic drawer about 12x24x8 (They get plenty of light) with papertowels and a board covering. (this will allow for ventilation and let some of the heat/humidity out) I am using a submerged terrarium heater, which seems harmless enough and the temp is staying constant around 80f.

I innoculated using a lighter and heated up the needle after each jar till at least a portion of it glowed red. I found you have to boil out some of the spore solution after each injeciton. Then I wiped the needle with a sterile pad alcohol wipe, which I changed every three jars or so. I wore a sterile mask and washed my hands with antibacterial soap first. (btw i did the innoculation in my office which i think has a much lower prob of free floating contams than my home. at home there are 8 people, one of which is elderly and sick and 2 of which have a fairly severe mental handicap, plus 2 dogs so, its germ heaven)

The only real concern I have now is it is very humid there. I did not count on that. I am also using the submerged heater which adds to the humidity. SInce the jars are sealed and under the vermiculite barrier, as long as i innoculated ok, i think i am ok.

Now its the chicken sitting on the eggs thing.

Send me some patience
or send me some speed
or grow me those mushrooms
cause they're just what I need.

Any thoughts, thx

FattyZ

#12 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

Hi I decided to switch to a flat panel heat pad. 18 bucks at petco. the in water terrarium heater is not doing enough for me and I am worried about the humidity. I am going to get the pics up this week. (before friday) I have to change the lid because there seems to be a slight odor (terrarium like) that is also bothering me somewhat. I will change the heater and lid tonight.

#13 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

I did switch to a different heater, its a flat heat pad thing for lizard terrariums, I like it a lot better particularly cause I really don't think the other one was working. This is fine though cause petco will take it back. So now I am happy, or if all goes well, I will be soon. I snapped a few pics. The first one is of the old heater. The new heater is barely visible in the last shot, its a black flat square about the size of a mouse pad. Seems to be working well, its right around 80F in there. Its handy that lizards and mushrooms both seem to like the temp around 80 degrees.

FattyZ

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1009 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN1008 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN1007 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN1002 (Small).JPG

#14 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

good luck :)
keep us posted.. those upside down jars you have on that wooden rack could be used for grain jars :thumbup:
dont introduce light just yet.. for invitro you can let light in early but not just yet coz no myc yet hehe
maybe when its 80%+
what strains did you work with btw?

#15 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:19 AM

Ok, I can cut most of the light out. I was under the impression that light exposure would not hurt the grow but would encourage pinning. They have been exposed to low level light since inoculation. (it seems like a month but its only been 48 hrs) Have I caused them any serious damage?

The strains are all cubies. I know one was south American. the other was labeled MR, I checked my order and I am not really sure what this abbreviation stands for. I am going to research this on the spore vendor site and I will post it later today.

Thanks

FattyZ

#16 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:21 AM

no damage :)
MR maybe matias romero

#17 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. It was a freebie from the capt'n, so since it was not one of my pics, I did not recognize it. It was there on the list of available cubies. I hope it likes to grow in glass!

#18 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

Yes it's true!:headbang: After only three days there is trace mycelium in most of my jars. I thought at first the jars were dirty, but then in some pockets I saw very definite spider web type mold starting and in one, a nice white growth spot about the size of a pea. :eusa_clap (yeah, I look at them daily, only once, to make sure the temp is ok, heh)

Man, I'm all excited.

FattyZ

#19 fattyz

fattyz

headless horseman

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

I did not realize all the avatars would change, I have lots of other good ones from the movie, some of you must recognize it?

F

#20 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

Yes it's true!:headbang: After only three days there is trace mycelium in most of my jars. I thought at first the jars were dirty, but then in some pockets I saw very definite spider web type mold starting and in one, a nice white growth spot about the size of a pea. :eusa_clap (yeah, I look at them daily, only once, to make sure the temp is ok, heh)

Man, I'm all excited.

FattyZ

:thumbup:
patience lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!