#1 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

I have 6 dishes that have 2 seperate tissue clones 3-B+ Cubes
3-Pan Goliath

it looks as though all of my B+ has fallen prey to trich...I suspect it to be the lack of parafilm or anything to seal the edges for that matter. I have a question, would medical tape work? or is the idea to have something that doesnt adhere too much, but can reseal. I recall hip sayin something like, toss the dish in a plastic bag. I will get some parafilm next paycheck.

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

contam look to take a foot hold on the edges?
Buck told me that parafilm was a number one priority but i know that not everyone uses it. I would tho.

#3 Odin 13

Odin 13

Exciteable Boy!

• Expired Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

Electrical tape is a no no. Parafilm is micro porous allowing air to pass while giving contaminants a rougher time thru (they will get past over a long time frame, upwards of a month or so.) Electrical tape is completely non porous. You will still see growth for a while until the mycelium utilizes all of the oxygen in the petri & then growth will stall. You're gonna freak when you see the price on Parafilm, but a roll lasts forever. You might get by with Press & Seal, I don't know its micro porosity but it has to be better than electrical tape.

#4 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Ill budget the 70 or so bucks for the roll of parafilm and the dehydrated PDA at Sporeworks (plug) :thumbup:. I plan on getting a mexicana syringe while im at it. Come on next friday...

#5 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:13 AM

if working on clones, your best bet against contams is h202 agar..
drop a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your agar when it is cool to the touch for 2-3 seconds.. after PCing it.. before pouring.. and stir it aroud a bit..

i myself dont have access to parafilm but have been working on agar.. iv been using glad wrap..

#6 rip

rip

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:09 AM

contam look to take a foot hold on the edges?
Buck told me that parafilm was a number one priority but i know that not everyone uses it. I would tho.

I got a 30m roll of the cheapest plastic wrap and cut it in ~5cm wide pieces with a sharp(!) knife. Works for me.

#7 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

I have yet a better suggestion. After your agar has solidified in you plates, rub the surface and the lid with a cotton swab soaked in 3% H2O2. This will dramatically reduce contamination up to 99%, in my case.

I never used parafilm, but I use plastic self adhesive food wrapping or saran wrap. Make sure its food grade. Works wonders. I cut the roll with a very sharp blade to a width of 1.5 inches, so I end up with ~ 6 rolls of the plastic. Perfect for wrapping petris. Ill add a photo.

Good Luck.

Joy.:eusa_booh

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1933.jpg
  • IMG_1934.jpg

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

Ill budget the 70 or so bucks for the roll of parafilm and the dehydrated PDA at Sporeworks (plug) :thumbup:. I plan on getting a mexicana syringe while im at it. Come on next friday...

if you don't need a whole roll, just enough for some dishes
try ebay
it's higher by the foot in cost but you can grab enough for a few bucks.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!