• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:58 AM

ok i'm wanting to order some spores but 1st i like to do my home work as to what type is good for a noobie and what not so let me break it down to you my plan or idea that im prepairing for and give me ur input on ur skills as to if i need to change up some things.

#2 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

pftek

my 1st question is i plan on having 2 monotubs with bubblers in them that will kick on 3 times a day for a hour to push co2 out and exchange fresh air. of corse i plan on having my pump placed in a diy rubber maid hepa filter chaimber to keep out contams. for light i plan on using a 400 mh hung high i am not using in my veg room at the moment. now as long as i keep my fruiting room between 65 and 75 i should be fine right?

also i was thinking about throwing my incubator in there also under the mh during the pinning.

but the only time i dont want light in the incubator is during colonization right so maybe i should leave the incubator out.....

all ya and i was wanting to have a fair potent bust plentiful stain thats good for a noob. so i was thinking texan or porto riccan think i just really F*cked that strains name up.

#3 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:34 AM

you know how you can wick feed plants..... what about wick feeding ur cakes? just a thought. figured it couldnt be hard just sick the wick in the middle while pack the jars to start colonization. just leave like 3 inches out. im sure someone has tried it. would it work or just cause big problems?

#4 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:52 AM

first of all,

http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9257

plz visit our
> Mission Statement <
> Basic Board Rules <
> archives <
> vaults <
> StrainBase <
> chatroom <
> sponsors <
> search engine <
> topia's glossary <
> image browser <
> marketplace <
> contest forum <
> fungi forum <
> botanicals forum <
> grassroots <

and our bnl :flash:
enjoy your stay.

PF tek would be a good start :)
any cubie strain as well
id suggest cambo tho heh i love those fuckers

for PF you can look up hippie's > supercake < formula
then you will need those jars.. a glove box would be good.. and incubator if you are living in cold climate.. i am in the tropics and have room temp of 80F so no incubator needed..
and a fruiting chamber for when you fruit you cakes..
read up on DEC double end casing
and look up fahtster's grows on his cakes.. simply amazing stuff

good luck :)

#5 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

i am in the tropics and have room temp of 80F so no incubator needed..
good luck :)

lucky guy

#6 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

so is my 400w mh light and over kill?

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

The wick method has been used by some..Placing cakes directly on wet perlite is one method but usually ends up making them too soggy and increasing the risk of molds...Cakes will absorb more moisture than they should ,making wicking tricky..

Oh yeah ..400 watts is def overkill...

#8 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,259 posts

Donator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

my 1st question is i plan on having 2 monotubs with bubblers in them that will kick on 3 times a day for a hour to push co2 out and exchange fresh air. of corse i plan on having my pump placed in a diy rubber maid hepa filter chaimber to keep out contams.

The KISS approach is your best friend. When I first started, I tried to electrify and automate everything. All I did was complicate an easy operation. Now, the only thing that requires electricity is my light source, and that's just a regular ole CFL bulb in a cheapie light fixture.

No need for the bubblers on a timer. Too much hassle; you don't need them. Put a couple inches of wet perlite in the bottom of your tubs. This will regulate your humidity perfectly and it will be less work than maintaining a bubbler system. You can use an 'egg crate' fluorescent light cover to make a great rack to put your cakes on above the perlite. (You can find one at Home Depot for under $10. Cut to fit.)

My 'incubator' is the highest shelf in my closet. Summer temps are around 75-80 degrees.

Good luck!

#9 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

thanks guys....

feel bad just pm'd hippie to get some help but you guy popped in while i was doing so.

#10 gema

gema

XPLORER

• Expired Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

I would skip the pf tek and go straight to casing then monotubs.
Multi-spore<WBS<hpoo<case<FC THEN
LC<WBS<spawn hpoo in monotub<case<fruit
PF Tek is overrated and so 1980s.
:reb:

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

I would skip the pf tek and go straight to casing then monotubs.
Multi-spore<WBS<hpoo<case<FC THEN
LC<WBS<spawn hpoo in monotub<case<fruit

What exactly is overrated about a method that, if followed exactly as instructed, is nearly 100% certain to give a first-time grower a flush of mushrooms?

And is also so efficient in terms of harvest vs. amount of substrate? (moreso than casings, at least in terms of "biological efficiency")

If the PF Tek is "so 1980s" then what do you make of people using mason jars for bulk grain? Who does that anymore?

Our job here is to give advice that provides the desired results, and the desired results here are a successful first grow, not setting up a massive trich factory that a rookie has a high chance of doing when trying to start the hobby with casings.

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

livewire420:

Pick a set of instructions for the PF Tek that you feel will work best for you, and stick to them.

This is a classic "you have to crawl before you can walk" situation, and fortunately with the PF Tek, once you've learned to walk then run you'll probably go back to it often, for various reasons, so the skills will always be applicable.

This hobby is an art and a science, and the art develops only with experience. At first it helps to concern yourself with as few details as possible, which is why invitro is the hand's-down easiest way to start (something you may want to consider). You will "get to know" the fungi as you gain experience, and watching mycelium develop in BRF jars is very educational. You also get to see what knots and pins look like as they develop, and gain an ability to pick out myc from contamination quicker.

BTW, I would not use HID lights (even one) for fungi. Wasteful in terms of power use and may dry out your FC from radiant heating. Indirect light from a window, or some flourescents, is plenty of light.

And Doctor D gave good advice, based on his experience. My early experience was very similar. No sense reinventing the wheel; my skills made quantum leaps after I started spending time here, mainly by preventing me from repeating all the mistakes made by so many before me (and that I was making, one after another, until I got to the vaults/archives).

#13 Raistlinsly1

Raistlinsly1

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

I use a bubbler just for the simple fact i live in a dry climate and helps keep humidity up. It just sits next to the tank. I also use xmas lights. Stick with the PF TEK. if your doing alot of jars Go invetro with the bulk of them and exsperment with a few cakes in your set up. If u follow the PF TEK its hard to go wrong.

#14 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

thanks for the advice ya'll i want to get it down right and then work on bulk that way me and some friends can have an great Halloween and new years eve........

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

Unless you have one hell of a lot of friends, doing cakes intensively between now and Halloween will give you plenty, with enough left for New Year's and probably Valentine's Day. If that is your goal, I highly recommend going full speed ahead with cakes, and only cakes. Try bulk the first time when there isn't a deadline...

#16 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Welcome to topia [user]livewire420[/user]

{that is the shortest post you will ever see tv type, lol...luv ya tv ;)}

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Welcome to topia [user]livewire420[/user]

{that is the shortest post you will ever see tv type, lol...luv ya tv ;)}

No, this one is. :eusa_sile

:lol:

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

nothing over-rated about the pftek ,
obviously it's had to prove itself time and again
against its' critics, generally the casers.
opinions are a dime a dozen
but numbers are hard to dispute-
our polling shows some ~70% of all growers began with pftek
and ~50% of advanced growers still use pftek for various projects while they do the bulk for production.
so i wouldn't pass it by
just because some guy on the internet scoffs.
pictures don't lie-
pftek in action
Posted Image

#19 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

hey now. :weedpoke: the 80's ruled! :headbang:

welcome livewire.
  • tailsmcsnails likes this

#20 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:19 AM

well i do got to give it to you guys and gals if their any in this thread most people are assholes and try to give noobs hell when they 1st join. between here and icmag i think ive found a home. i really appreciate all the info. now it will be time to send out for my spores. i picked up a few things today and plan on constructing my incubator i plan on using 2 rubbermaid tubs 1 inside the other. in the 1st tub i plan on putting a aquarium heater w/ water with 4 cups in the bottom to support the second tub.

now the only reason why im making the incubator with the heater is cause well is 55f in my house do to cental air. plus from what i been seeing most people want it to be like 80f for this right?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!