• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 joekickass

joekickass

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Well, while I'm waiting for my spores to arrive I was browsing over other teks and found the chronic invitro tek.

I had origionally planned to just fruit some pf cakes over perlite but there is good reason I might want to go invitro if chronic's tek really does produce the same the cakes would have gotten in an enclosure. My "terrerium" is just an old mary jane grow box made out of plywood, it's around 1.5' x 1.5' x 2' , the inside is lined with foil, and it has an adjustable exhaust fan at the top. It is wired with 4 light fixtures which I will remove but the transformer for the fan and a power cable are still inside.

Now, my main worry with this if I go with a tray of perlite is that the humidity will destroy the box/get the wood moldy/short out the electricals/etc.
Is this a serious concern?

I like the idea of the chronic tek because this would also help me maximize my space as I could stack the quart jars for a max of 8, whereas 8 pf cakes would not do so well on the same level.

I made five 1/2 pint PF cakes but they've been in there with foil ontop, undesturbed since steaming, for 2 days now, if my spores come in 2-3 days, should I still use them if they look fine or will I have to make new ones?

I have time to ponder all this as I don't need to make a descision untill the cakes are done, but I would appreciate mycotopia's input, thanks!

Pictures of the growbox soon.

#2 bluefungis182

bluefungis182

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

I made five 1/2 pint PF cakes but they've been in there with foil ontop, undesturbed since steaming, for 2 days now, if my spores come in 2-3 days, should I still use them if they look fine or will I have to make new ones?
[/quote]

i would steam them again just to be safe

#3 joekickass

joekickass

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:06 AM

Here are the photos:
-White light fixtures about 3/4 up wall
-orange fan
-black cord going to blue night light in corner
-5 foil covered cakes on plastic tray
-plastic wrapped transformer back right corner

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010129.JPG
  • P1010130.JPG

#4 joekickass

joekickass

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

Anyone have any experiance with this here?

#5 joekickass

joekickass

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

No one on this forum is capable of telling me why I shouldn't grow in a plywood box??? This is somewhat absurd...

#6 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

Welcome to the Topia' joe

You shouldn't use a plywood box as an fc, because it is porous. When it comes time to make the RH in your FC around 95 percent you will see issues with bowing of the wood and it will more than likely be tough to maintain that RH. Hopefully the plywood isn't currently harboring any contams either.

I'm sure anyone could've given you that answer. Don't be upset if someone doesnt answer your reply in record time. We are all at different places of the globe. For example, my ass was sleeping.:thumbup:

-Cheers

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

No one on this forum is capable of telling me why I shouldn't grow in a plywood box??? This is somewhat absurd...

watch yer mouth-
how much are you paying for this service ?!?

you know what Kilz is ?
paint any exposed wood surfaces with KILZ

#8 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

....also joe, have you considered doing a filterpatch bag invitro? You can get far more weight out of each flush, have more flushes and bigger fruits. I just picked 41 dry drams from 2 bags on there 2nd flush.

#9 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

brother Hip!:bow: What affect does kilz have on mush production? Im curious.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

let it dry well
should have no effects

#11 joekickass

joekickass

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Thank you and I'm sorry for the previous impatience on my part :D

:bow:no hard feelings?:bow:

Also, I will look into this filter patch invitro tek as I'm pretty sure I'd be better off going invitro

#12 psychonaut

psychonaut

Mad as a Hatter

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

The point of the killz, imo from reading the suggestion was simply to take the plywood and stop the wood from being porous. Killz, Zinser, etc are all primers. Priming wood simply seals the wood. A better primer will provide better sealing qualities. Also multiple coats can also help, but most times a quality primer is a 1 coat application. If you don't like the stench of killz (their no odor version still smells yucky to me) you could try Zinser brand. A lot of fire departments use it to cover smoke damage, which is rough to go over in one coat. It does a good job as well if Killz isn't in your area or you don't like the stink. :thumbup:

-psychotic psychonaut

#13 psychonaut

psychonaut

Mad as a Hatter

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

The apology was groovy.

...and while it's not my board, I would advise you while you are here to treat people with respect and courtesy. The reason your answer was short and to the point (and it's a cool board that you still GOT a valid answer from the owner who you may of tread on a little bit imho) might of been how you phrased the question. You also might find out with some research that hippie by and large pioneered the tek you are considering doing. I can attest from personal experience that he and others here like him will go OUT of their way to help you if you stick to just being friendly and show respect to folks who've been where you're trying to go.

This hobby requires a lot of patience.

Just my opinion.
-Psych

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!