• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Rycelium

Rycelium

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

foaf currently has jars of wheat and corn colonizing. They will be birthed and fruited into dub tubs (under construction). To make the most of these grain jars Ideally they will be birthed to a bulk substrate. Unfortunetly poo is not so readily available in the area. Local materials that are available are

Coir
Verm
WBS
BRF
Popcorn
Wheat

Straw can also be found but it is only sold as a bail. The last time foaf bought one the wife freaked out because there was no way to hide it or explain what it was for if anybody ever saw it.

Can a good recipe be made from just these materials and Hips dung or could a good fruiting BS be made soley from the local materials?

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

Well u can double your fun with donkey dung...Aside from that - the next best mix imo would be spawning to a coir/verm mix,,,, maybe 70/30%
A maximum ratio of spawn to the coir mix would be around 3 or 4 to 1 part spawn ...although a 1:1 or 1:2 would be faster ,more reliable...Gluk

#3 Rycelium

Rycelium

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:31 PM

I just placed an order for some of Hip's new Donkey Dung so I guess I'll need a recipe for dung/spawn/verm. Any suggestions?

#4 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

I would do 4 parts dung, 1-2 parts verm, and 2 parts spawn. At least 2 parts spawn. If you have more to spare then add it. Getting it to colonize as quickly as possible is best.

#5 Rycelium

Rycelium

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:30 PM

can I pasturize the dung in jars in my pressure cooker? Do I need to PH balance after PC'ing?

#6 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

Yes u can set your jars in the PC ,half submerged and maintain a water temp of 170F for a couple hours ...And No need to adjust ph unless u are adding peat or other acidic materials...

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

proly a good idea to at least check the PH to see if
any adjustment is needed.

#8 Rycelium

Rycelium

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

Hip,

I got my dung today, thanks. I did have a quick question for you. I am going to be birthing these jars tmrw
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=11527
and was wondering what ratio of spawn to dung/verm I should use and what the easiest way is to pasturize the dung and ph balance it. I know I could search but there is just so many personal little recipes and opinions that I just start getting overwhelmed. I have several 15 gallon rubbermaids that I would like Spawn them to and I would like to use my PC for pasturizing if possible.

#9 Rycelium

Rycelium

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:33 PM

Can I prep some WBS and throw it into the mix to kind of stretch the DD out a little, if so what ratio? I would like to have more substrate and the WBS is alot easier to source.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

fully colonized wbs yes,
un-colonized = no.

you should use straw or coir to stretch your doo.

#11 bluehoney

bluehoney

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

Alright guys, I searched a bunch this past week, but I couldn't pull the info together 100%. I have decided i will try to spawn my WBS jars from Mycro to 2 trays(size unknown,any reccomendations? aiming for 3-4 inch depth) of Donkey dung (Mycro also). 4 jars per tray. 60% dung 40% straw substrate mix. I will hot water past. with lime and bleach. Then case with 70/30 verm/coir when ready...

question: Almost Every post says "some Lime" or "a little" but I can't find any ratios...How much lime/H20 for 3 gallon bags of dried dung? What is the consistency post past. of the dung, muddy or airy? I was thinking bleach presoak straw 12+ hours then mix with dung for hot water lime past., yes/no? Is is ok to STERILIZE that casing combo then sprinkle lime on it after it's laid, or does it need past. like a sub?

I've done straw logs w/ success, but for some reason I have a feeling past'ing the dung is gonna get it all watery/muddy...

thanks ladies and gent's

#12 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:41 AM

You wont want your doo to be muddy..it should be at Field capacity(when you squeeze it in your hand, only a drop or two should come out).

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

i'd use about 1 teaspoon of lime per gallon, no more,
or just leave it out and use heat/bleach.
too much lime and it won't colonize right,
and unlike bleach which quickly dissapates
lime stays in the mix.

#14 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

When I pasturize substrate, I like to mix all the components together and put it in a pillowcase for either hot water or steam pasturization.
That is, I don't pasturize the components seperately, but altogether, at once.
As for your casing, sterilzation is not necessary.
If you are using verm/coir, simply mix it in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, leaving a steam vent and nuke for 3 minutes.
When cool, it is ready to use.
:greenboun

#15 WHITE RABBIT

WHITE RABBIT

Let's take a trip

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

I have access to horses and donkeys. Which one would be better to use for our little friends?

#16 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Try both and then you could share your results with us.

:thumbup:

#17 WHITE RABBIT

WHITE RABBIT

Let's take a trip

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

I'm alittle late for this round but I will give both a try next time side by side with same strain and post results with pics!!:eusa_danc

#18 WHITE RABBIT

WHITE RABBIT

Let's take a trip

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Plus I was thinking, I used to raise rabbits and have a lot of aged poo so I was going to try that in the future. No rush cause it isnt going anywhere.

#19 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

I think you'll find the donkey to be just as good as the horse and both better than the rabbit.

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

what the horse/donkey is being fed is relevant-
you want an animal that is grazing on grass,
eating lots of hay and not much grain.
cows tend to be fed more grain both for milking
as well as growing meat.
horses and donkeys eat more grain in winter
more grass in summer.
i find my donkey doo is just a bit more fibrous,
lighter in texture than most horse manure i see
but that may just be because my source has his
feeding alone in a big pasture whereas the horses
are more numerous and packed in to less space
thus by necessity being fed more grain as grass is scarce.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!