• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#61 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

invitro lighting is the same as any other kind basically. anything from 10 min up to 24/7 will work. someplace in the middle is usually best. any kind of light should work, bluer (flourecent) is supposedly better though. if its bright enought to read by, its bright enough to trigger pins.

careful not to cook them with that incandecent thought. they get quite toasty, especially when enclosed. go for a 40W or lower.

#62 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

invitro lighting is the same as any other kind basically. anything from 10 min up to 24/7 will work. someplace in the middle is usually best. any kind of light should work, bluer is supposedly better though. if its bright enought to read by, its bright enough to trigger pins.

careful not to cook them with that incandecent thought. they get quite toasty, especially when enclosed. go for a 40W or lower.

I was wondering about that, would putting blue cellophane over the light be sufficient enough to create the required blue light?? Blue is blue right... All just wavelengths.

#63 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

I was wondering about that, would putting blue cellophane over the light be sufficient enough to create the required blue light?? Blue is blue right... All just wavelengths.

blue cellophane is technically a 'filter' it does not creat blue light, mearly absorbs anything that ISNT blue light from the original source. so the original light must have whatever blue light is getting through the filter, PLUS the other colors.

so it wont be any benifit because you are just removing non-blue light, rather then adding blue light.

#64 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

The fluoro bulb will work at 24/7, but I like to put it on a cheapo $3 timer, just to give 'em a few hours off... not sure it matters really, but it does help with dissapating the heat the unit throws off. Even mini nitelite fluoro bulbs create some heat IME.

In nature, they'd get some light and dark, so it makes sense to try and recreate that, although that logic doesn't hold water when it comes to growing lots of things, it certainly can't hurt to save a tiny bit 'o juice :)

soliver

#65 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

Yeah your right eternal. So then what kind of buld creates blue light in that case?

#66 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yeah your right eternal. So then what kind of buld creates blue light in that case?

in general, flouroecent light is comprised more of the blue end of the spectrum, while incandecents are more in the red spectrum. LED's emit a very 'clean' monochrome spectrum i.e. one single color. it will say in its technical specs, something like XXXnm which refers to the wavelength of the light i.e. the color.

heres a graph of a random light source from google to ilistrate:
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162335966

this would be a fairly white light as its distributed fairly evenly. a flouro would be more weighted to the left in the blues and purples, while incandecents are more towards the right with the reds and yellows. LED's would have a very thin spike (~50nm or so) and nothing any place else

Attached Thumbnails

• adinfo_Trichromatic.jpg

#67 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

I'm just using a tiny push light so not to throw off my temperatures. I'll have to look into "blue" light another time.

#68 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:45 AM

I am now starting to see beginning clusters that appear to might pin sometime, so i've done more air exchanges (2-3 per day) and added light (8 hours).

I just wanted to see what kind of bulbs or systems use for their pinning stages, how much light people give, and what kind of light they give.

I bought an aquarium 20w 50/50 blue spectrum and sun spectrum flourescent, because i hear the blue is closer to the range that mushrooms like, although they are nonphotosenthetic. what is the facts on this?

i just thought that any light will do as long as it doesnt bring temperatures too high and that even 15 minutes a day of light is sufficient. is this true? would pinning be affected by how much light you give them per day. i.e. 8 hours versus 15 minutes a day?

i also switched the lids from white plastic to plastic wrap. so how long till i should get pins after the myc starts showing through the casing?

#69 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:36 AM

Are these casings we are talking about? If they are and they are in your FC i would recommend not having coverings on them,,,anyone else with me on this? But if u want to have a covering over them ( to stabalize humidity and temp levels) you could add a layer of wet or dry waxpaper, check out the link at the bottom.
As far as lighting goes i would say have it on for at least a hour a day. Any type of light will do, but your correct blue is the best. As long as u can see the cakes (even slightly) you have enough light, it doesnt have to be much at all. Just as an example take my FC my light is on 24/7 (because it is my heat source) , its just a little night light bulb i think 5W it is hooked to a dimmer and i have it turned down more than half way. Not much light at all but it does the job. good luck friend

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=16393

Hers a pic of my FC and light just to give you a picture of how much light i give them.
Posted Image

#70 BigHoward

BigHoward

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

Does any one know it those new small Halogen Bulbs Produce much Light In The Blue WaveLength ???

My Friend has come up with some uniqe questions & I told him I knew who to ask.

THX
BigHoward

#71 d0ttedlinepers0n

d0ttedlinepers0n

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:50 AM

I had a quick question, i tried searching the fourms and i didn't find exactly what i was looking for. but i was wondering, i don't curently have any kind of special light, and natural light isn't exactly an option for me, i was wondering if anyone's had any sucess with just using a regular lamp, or do i need to invest in a specific bulb, i don't exactly have a whole ton of cash, so im not looking to go and buy one right at this moment, but hopefully in the near future i'll go looking if anyone has any sugestions. it would be much appreciated. thank you all! :)

#72 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

regular lamp works fine, nothing special needed.

#73 d0ttedlinepers0n

d0ttedlinepers0n

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:27 AM

Thank you very much for the input. much obliged. This site has a wealth of knowledge, and all my questions have been answered quickly, ya'll rock, thanks a million

#74 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

they just need enough light to know wich direction to grow.there was some debte on wether or not allot of light effects yeilds or not.but just enough light for direction is good.

#75 gunji

gunji

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

if you can make it work for your situation, i hear that a regular flouresent shoplight, (the one with the 4ft long tubes that you can buy at lowes for 12 dollars) works pretty well. once you get some cash that is )

best of luck

#76 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

about the only kind of light worth any extra trouble is indirect sunlight-
if you can position your stuff near a window
where it's bright but not in direct hot sunlight
then i've seen better pinning than normal light gives.
so i use both, shoplight and a window nearby.

#77 AgareatedShrooms

AgareatedShrooms

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

I have read and heard many different things about lighting, how crucial is it, and if so, what kinda wattages are we talking about?:rasta:

#78 Cheebabear

Cheebabear

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

I have read and heard many different things about lighting, how crucial is it, and if so, what kinda wattages are we talking about?:rasta:

Are you talking about for shrooms? If so, it doesn't take much, almost any small amount of light will do.

#79 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

At a minimum, Just a few mins per day durin the pinning/fruiting stage with light thats bright enough to read by [assuming mushrooms can read]

I tend to think more is better though...Flourescent and daylight prefered but incandescent works too..

Welcome to Topia...

#80 AgareatedShrooms

AgareatedShrooms

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:02 AM

ya shrooms be the crop of the week for me, but ya, what you all tell me about ideal growth temp? like how much heat can my mycellium take? and does ne one know ne good p. cubensis strain databases???

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!