• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#101 wilgarn

wilgarn

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

Waste of electricity... the fungi needs very little light.

I can understand that... I guess I should have been more direct, let me rephrase.

In comparison to an 8 on 16 off light cycle, will 24 hour light have an adverse, neutral or positive
effect on the production of mushrooms? This is assuming that all other "climate" parameters/conditions, such as relative humidity and temperature, are ideal with said light being supplied in a way that it does not alter the ideal conditions in any way.

Long story shrtened :With automated FAE, humidy and temperature, it would be so easy to just leave a light on constantly. If there are no adverse effects from it other than a slightly higher power bill, I just dont see any reason to invest in another timer... =\

#102 garrettee

garrettee

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

First off (from what I've read), manual FAE is better than automated and yes a higher light bill is all you will get by leaving the lights on 24\7. Again(from my readings), very little light is needed to fruit mushrooms. Four to twelve hours of light is the same as twenty four hours( if heat and money is not an issue). But by all means let a pro correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: If your doing this once leaving the light on will not be an issue, but IMO, over time you will save money if you invest a very small amount of money in a timer($10 or less), but again I'm still a noob.

#103 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,377 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:42 PM

I have been lighting constantly. I use 7 blue LEDs, 1 watt. The best results can be done with the simplest of setups. All passive. Room sun light is more than what is needed.

#104 garrettee

garrettee

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

I know led's give off virtually no heat and are very inexpensive to run, but what do they cost to buy?

#105 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,377 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

In my case, $0.00

#106 r00kn00b

r00kn00b

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

I know led's give off virtually no heat and are very inexpensive to run, but what do they cost to buy?

you can get LED's for pennies but you should know what you're doing before wiring them up, you'll need a dc power supply and you should wire them up with resistors to prevent blowing them out

#107 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

u can get some leds from oznium.com for a few pennies each, and even buy em with resistors for a couple pennies more. then get a 12 volt source and call it a day :) i have used battery chargers and batteries, but a switchable output adapter style plug-in works great, just hard wire it :)

#108 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

would a florescent light for a few hours a day suffice? does that have enough light in the blue spectrum?

#109 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

would a florescent light for a few hours a day suffice? does that have enough light in the blue spectrum?

Works fine for me. I use a cheap 14watt flourescent light, and that is overkill even. For Cubies I have found that natural diffused sunlight is best. This is really a science where less is more.

#110 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

i was thinking about setting up some christmas lights for doing multiple tubs...would that be a good idea? if i do should i get some blue LED ones or should i just get some normal white ones?

#111 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

I would keep the electricity out of the fc if you aren't already. You can drape the xmas lights over the top of the lids. I also heard of people using the actinic lights for growing algae as a light source for their fc. I have my Flourescent screwed into the lid on the top, it is one of the ones that people use for lighting under cabinets so it can be daisy chained if multiple lights are needed. G'luck

#112 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

...and also ttam, if thats yours (if you are a girl) or your girls ass on your avatar ----->http://mycotopia.net...tuff-books.html

:bow:

#113 normalbc

normalbc

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

leds are cheap and we all learned about circuits in school, parallel, series that all you really need to know, you can use calcs online for leds, what voltage you need and what not, you can use batteries to power your leds you dont even need a 12v power source, most are 3v 20ma so they can run on batteries for days, with a simple timer circuit for the daring your batteries will last a while, or just on a switch. less overkill imo then chistmas lights cheaper also.

#114 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

http://mycotopia.net...ds-led-tek.html

Posted Image

#115 The Other

The Other

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

I bought a 6" LED light from www.ledlight.com, (it seems there site it down right now) for 46 bucks that included shipping and a 12V ac/dc adapter. It looks like it isn't the cheapest route for leds but it was a complete package. I wanted something that was waterproof so I could mount it inside of a 55 gal tub.

#116 dta08

dta08

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

How important is fruit lighting? All i have is some mylar on my closet wall reflecting indirect light from my window. Is that enough? I have heard that if you can see if there is mushrooms growing thats enough light already, is that true? any help would be cool. thanks:rasta:

#117 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

thats fine. light is mainly to trigger pinning. after that all the shrooms do is grow towards it. least thats how i see it.

#118 dta08

dta08

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

Alright cool. Thanks dark side

#119 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

For what it's worth, I have noticed better and quicker pinsets when the light was bright enough to clearly see the mushrooms growing; enough to take a picture without needing a flash would be the way I'd describe it.

I've almost always used indirect natural light from a window (the spectrum is perfect, for one thing), and for privacy and better light distribution I covered the glass with white "Frosted Privacy Film" which is sold in rolls at big box hardware stores. Works great, and direct sun hitting it will be diffused enough by the film to not cause any problems even if the tub is stitting right next to the window (which mine are).

Cakes or trays growing under the full intensity of the frosted window pinned faster and a little bit larger than substrates that were shaded or for some reason got less light (even when they were all in the same enclosure, so it wasn't from radiant heating caused by being closer to the window).

So, to me, a little light is enough but a lot of light is better!

#120 ursamajor

ursamajor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

this has probably been asked and answered 1000s of times here, but y'all are a patient lot and my searching skills are not great. :horse:

SWIM has a lamp in the cabinet housing his chronic jars, it's required to regulate the temperature, so it's probably best to keep it on 24/7 - from what i read that won't help or hinder pinning particularly - right?

My main question, though, is what type of light might be best. Current options, without hitting a hardware store, are 60W compact fluorescent, 60W GE Reveal, 60W generic incandescent, 65W GE Grow & Show grow bulb. It's stated on the forum that fluorescent is better than incandescent, so SWIM's gone with that for now, but is that statement true for compact fluorescent or just the long tubes?

Also, is direct light better, worse, or no different than indirect light?

Thanks in advance - you all are a wonderful resource! :headbang:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!