• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

Cool FAQ, thanks TV. I agree that these radiolytic compounds must be isolated and examined thoroughly before a final determination is made about their safety. You want to make sure you aren't releasing any prion-like compounds into the food.

As far as the PC, I'm going to take it for a test drive later this evening. Will let you know my assessment afterwards (as if anyone really cares *laugh*). The instructions say to put a small amount of vinegar into the water to prevent tarnish on jars. I never heard anyone here talk about that before so I wonder if anyone actually does it? Guess I'll give it a try, can't hurt...right?

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

The instructions say to put a small amount of vinegar into the water to prevent tarnish on jars. I never heard anyone here talk about that before so I wonder if anyone actually does it? Guess I'll give it a try, can't hurt...right?
[/COLOR]

How would glass tarnish? I mean, in a way that can't just be wiped off? I've never used vinegar, and my jars are still crystal clear after years of PC'ing. I agree that it wouldn't hurt anything, although in a PC made of aluminum it might cause a problem (your Presto is stainless I assume). I suggest not getting into the habit of using vinegar since one day you might get a an All American, which are aluminum, and acids cause pitting in aluminum. A "small" amount is kind of subjective, too, and I don't know much acidity is needed to start pitting, it's an extra step, and you have to have/get the vinegar, so I wouldn't bother at all.

And it will probably stink up the kitchen. I'd only do it if I was pressure cooking a salad!

#23 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

it's an extra step, and you have to have/get the vinegar, so I wouldn't bother at all.

And it will probably stink up the kitchen. I'd only do it if I was pressure cooking a salad!

It's settled then.......vinegar......YOU"RE FIRED!!!

#24 The Other

The Other

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

This is a little off topic but mine is a 10 qt fargo, or something like that, nothing special. Anyways, it is getting some type of build up along the waterline, is this calcium buildup? Also some residue is left after PCing. I read to use lemon juice but this doesn't seem to get rid of it all. It leaves the inside rough.

#25 goldenteacher1163

goldenteacher1163

myco guru

• Expired Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Anyways, it is getting some type of build up along the waterline, is this calcium buildup?

Foaf has the exact same thing but it is on the bottom stand-off plate we have just called it rye barnicles but if anyone knows what it actually is, I would also like to know.

It rips the crap out of the sponge used to clean the pc out.

#26 Doc Chi

Doc Chi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

Foaf has the exact same thing but it is on the bottom stand-off plate we have just called it rye barnicles but if anyone knows what it actually is, I would also like to know.
It rips the crap out of the sponge used to clean the pc out.

:hippie:Hi: It's hard water deposits thats mostly made up of Ca/Mg-2(CO3) with some Ca/Mg-SO4 plus other trace mineral salts that was in the water used in your PC.:eusa_thinIt cleans right out with LimeAway, white distilled vinegar and sour salt (dry powered citric acid) found with the Kosher foods in most food stores or cream of tarter, just mix earthier with some water to use.:eusa_dancHard water won't hurt the jars but will leave a film on them over time and they do clean up like above for the PC.:thumbup:It's best to use distilled water or at the least RO water in your PC it self to help keep it and the jars stay clean.
PS::teeth:Strong alkies can etch into the finish on aluminum PC's so it a good idea to keep them clean from to much scale. PC's:hookah:

#27 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

I just tried my first Presto and IT ROCKS! I think I like it even better than my All-American 25x. First off, it reached the 15 psi sterilization pressure in under 20 min including the 10 min gassing period before the pressure valve is closed. It took about 15 min to cool down from 15 psi to zero after sterilization was complete. My electric All-American takes about an hour to heat up then another 20 min to reach sterilization pressure and like 20 min to cool down. It's really nice not having to wait all that extra time. Also no electricity is required, just a stove. I kind of wish I had tried a Presto before I bought my All-American, I would have saved $500. Don't get me wrong I still like my trusty old steel AA, but I never thought that a regular store bought PC would have so many nice features. For all those out there like me who naively thought that you need a real stereoclave like an All-American to engage in this hobby, I can tell you it's not necessary.

#28 Doc Chi

Doc Chi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

I just tried my first Presto and IT ROCKS! I think I like it even better than my All-American 25x. First off, it reached the 15 psi sterilization pressure in under 20 min including the 10 min gassing period before the pressure valve is closed. It took about 15 min to cool down from 15 psi to zero after sterilization was complete. My electric All-American takes about an hour to heat up then another 20 min to reach sterilization pressure and like 20 min to cool down. It's really nice not having to wait all that extra time. Also no electricity is required, just a stove. I kind of wish I had tried a Presto before I bought my All-American, I would have saved $500. Don't get me wrong I still like my trusty old steel AA, but I never thought that a regular store bought PC would have so many nice features. For all those out there like me who naively thought that you need a real stereoclave like an All-American to engage in this hobby, I can tell you it's not necessary.

:hippie:Hi: :thumbup:It's always best to have the right tool for the job. Back when people did a lot of home canning a 21 to 25 qt PC made good sense and an AA PC was a good investment. An AA PC in the 21 to 25 qt range with a built in heater makes good sense for a High School, Small College or a small testing lab to have.:eusa_doh:The trouble with people is we think with our egos and not our common sense. I have a nice 12 qt stainless steel Maitre's with a thick copper and nickel bottom that I got at a thrift store for ten dollars and ten for a new gasket.:cool:It preheats quickly, seals fast and comes up to pressure in no time and that's using a standard 1500 watt hot plate, what more could I ask for. I have a 12”X 16” X 24” Steam Sterilizer with steam generator that I remanufactured for a Veterinarian and I got as part of the settlement over the bill he tried to stiff me on. I never use it and some time down the road I'm going to give it to a college that needs one with free labor!:hookah:

#29 Toads tool

Toads tool

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

Good info Doc Chi.

I have several PC 's (6 or 7) to choose from. I too have gone from one extreme to the other in quality and size.

The longer I do this, the cheaper I get.
I am currently using a Mirro-cheapo.
I use a dish cloth in the bottom of my Mirro instead of the plate and this will gain me the 1/8th of an inch needed to lay some tall 1/2 pint jars sideways on top of my others. I allow all my jars space around them in the bottom even though i could cram in 2 or 3 more, these are the ones I lay on top.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!