• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Telepathic

Telepathic

Spiritualized

• Expired Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:42 AM

I just acquired a "Bufo Alvarius" today, and I'm already in love with it. I have few questions regarding the Toad as a PET. Anyone with previous bufo experience could u tell me, or gimme a few pics even of your 'cage' (for lack of a better word) set-up.

Also what sort of bugs do they like to eat? I've fed mine a cricket and a moth. He didn't seem to enthusiastic about the cricket and let it come to him, where as the moth he tracked down like Walker Texas Ranger in a crime scene. Is there anything that they would "prefer" or can I just feed it anything I find intruding in my house?

One more thing, if I just let it sit with me in my lap, think he will run away? :lol:

#2 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:05 AM

Coyotemesc and Merm have one. you may wanna ask them.
http://mycotopia.net...river-toad.html

#3 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:49 AM

or can I just feed it anything I find intruding in my house?

Normally it isn't good to feed your animals with stuff around your house. Your bufo can become parasites and other stuff.

Buy you crickets in an pet store. I think it is also recommend to dust the food sometimes with vitamines.

I also would look around in reptile forums for information.

Did you buy your bufo or did you catch it?

#4 Telepathic

Telepathic

Spiritualized

• Expired Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

I purchased this bufo off the "streets". He said he took decent care of it, but he was feeding it (and so was i) bugs from in/around his home. It is a decently biggun' although I am very unsure of it's age, when I can get a buddy's camera I will post pics, he/she(not sure) is beautiful and I am truly in love! :loveeyes:

Edit: I also didn't know there was a reptile forum, so I suppose this was posted in the wrong area, sowwies

#5 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

You will want to make sure to supplement his diet with vitamins as Bufos are prone to calcium deficiency. We use Jurassi-Vite and Rep-Cal. He/She will eat anything it can get it's mouth around. I suggest crickets, pinkies/fuzzies, worms...and "dusting" them before you feed her. In order to make sure that she is eating I HIGHLY suggest only putting what he/she will eat in there and watching her eat it. Also when ours is fed crickets, CM breaks their knees as he drops them in one at a time. We never just dump food in there. If you try and feed her frozen pinkies/fuzzies you will have to make it look alive by moving it. This takes time, but be patient.
Make sure it has plenty of Fresh water daily and a place for it to hide. Remember these toads are nocturnal so if you don't see it for a few days no bigger.
LP comes out when she is hungry or needs water. I wouldn't suggest handling it very much as it can stress the toad out.
Try to keep the temp as stable as possible. Ours is around 78 ish. You will have to find a bedding that he/ she like. Ours is picky for sure.

Also read this, Bufo alvarius Care Sheet. Sonoran Desert Toad.

That will cover everything I haven't.

And here is our happy toad http://mycotopia.net...river-toad.html

Good luck!

#6 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Yeah post pics, mabe they rip you off :amazed:

I hope i find an friend from colorado or new mexico who will send me some young ones. Here in germany you dont get them.

I contact glades herp because i see they come to an german reptile convention but they dont answer me.

All american vendors only ship when you buy for a minimum of 1000$ + the high shipping rates.

I also asked some european vendors but here nobody pay so much for an toad. And of corse the most people here think Bufo Marinus are the psychoactive toad that you can "lick".

I think thats because they are big and cheap :o)
</IMG>

#7 Telepathic

Telepathic

Spiritualized

• Expired Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

Oh trust me, its a bufo. Thanks for all the information LP is sexy btw CM and Mermaidia

#8 Telepathic

Telepathic

Spiritualized

• Expired Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:04 AM

Well, I just recently got a bufo alvarius. I have had it three days and I am completely in love with it, (he/she) is the coolest pet I have ever owned hands down. Take a look, you'll see: :loveeyes:.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 004.jpg
  • Picture 003.jpg
  • Picture 002.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg

#9 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:12 AM

:D Cool looking toad :cool:
Whats it's name

#10 Telepathic

Telepathic

Spiritualized

• Expired Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:23 AM

I'm thinking "Sir/Lady Hops A Lot", lol I haven't named it yet. Dunno if it's male or female so when I know that then I'll decide a name.

Edit: Also I'll be changing his bedding in there tomorrow, the sand came with him when I got him and I can tell he will like root bark or peat moss better. I've been feeding him worms (they get covered) and he gets the sand all over himself and in his water dish, though it looks like he dug out a little bed for himself :).

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

think you could photograph at a bit lower resolution?
those pix are HUGE.

#12 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

Cute toad!

#13 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

lounging at the beach, :cool:

#14 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

It would be funny to find out they sold you the wrong kinda toad, after licking it a few times. jk

Cool looking toad,

How many licks does it take to get to a toad, a 1, a 2, a3, 3 licks to get to a toad, Yummy. lol:pirate:

#15 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

Really cool :eusa_clap

#16 mark

mark

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

I have sort of, kind of, maybe have, heard of this kind of toad (?), and something about licking it for a drug type responce. Can someone enlighten me as to what you do and what you get out of the experience...other than a confused toad...

#17 Seven-NJ

Seven-NJ

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

wow nice toad, hope you the best with him/her. did you get it from a pet store? or through an online vendor?

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:03 AM

I saw that BBB had them for sale. What's the deal with them?

Cool pet you've got there!

#19 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

The "licking" is a farce. Posted Image
The venom is milked from the toad and smoked. The venom contains 5-Meo-DMT. When smoked it creates an intense, but short trip, if you will.

The venom is collected with out doing any harm to the toad.

#20 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

according to things I've read online you can milk the venom glands onto a mirror or similar surface, dry, scrape it up and smoke it because it contains 5meo DMT. I've been eyeballing them on BBB for like a year or more but they're kinda expensive Perhaps Telepathic can enlighten us more about this amazing animal now that he's had some time to get acclimated to his new home? lol I can't wait to hear what you think and see some more pics

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!