About to dunk
Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:08 AM
Will a bleach dip get rid of that after the dunk?
Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:00 AM
Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:11 AM
It should help a lot. Go with a 300:1 bleach:water ratio.
i think you mean a 300:1 water:bleach ratio
Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:46 AM
Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:17 PM
1. 26 hour refridgerated dunk.
2. 15 minute 300:1 water:bleach unrefridgerated dunk.
3. Sprayed terrarium room really well with lysol.
4. Dumped old perlite. (it was 1.5" thick with a 1/4" to a 1/2" standing water...ewww I know bad)
5. Wiped terrarium with alcohol.
6. Applied DEC
7. Put 3/4" perlite in terrarium (no standing water)
8. increased the size of my polyfilled holes and added a fourth one (they're about 2 inches in diameter now).
Cant wait to see the results!
Thanks for the help guys :headbang:
Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:53 PM
Good luck :thumbup:
Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:14 PM
Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:38 PM
Another event... I ordered 12 1/2 pint jars from mycotopia. 2 were broken upon arrival (damn post office, lol) which dropped it down to 10. I have a 1/2 bath that (sink and toilet only) that i cleaned top to bottom with bleach. It was the best I've ever cleaned anything because last time i innoculated stuff (4 bags and 6 jars) I lost all but 3 jars to contams. The syringes came from Sporeworks. So anyway, i checked the jars 5 days later and had lost 9 of them to 3 different contams. 6 had trich, 2 were completely colonized with what appered to be cobweb (although, strangely, the substrate was was almost black all the way through from this contam) and 1 was about 30% colonized with some weird light green (almost flourescent olive) contam growing down from the verm barrier. So out of 12, I have 1 that appears to be ok so far. It was the last one I innoculated. I know this because it was the only one that got injected in only 2 holes instead of 4 as I ran out of solution. So, out of 12 I got 1 :( .
So, i went ahead and cleaned the 9 contam'd jars really good and rinsed really thoroughly, made my own substrate and PC'd them. They've been sitting for 3 days now. Im gonna let em sit for about a week to make sure no contams emerge. If not, guess ill nocc them up. Man I'm just having so many problems with this. I really hope I at least get a good non-contam'd flush from my 3 good cakes...getting discouraged... Anyway gotta go to work, thanks for all you guys help.
BTW, I didnt mention names of companies i purchased from to put them down in anyway or anything, actually I mentioned them sort of to say "WTF, I know my sources are good, gonna have to examine my methods more closely to fix whatever the problem I'm having may be."
Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:53 PM
- You could have sterilized that Perlite instead of dumping it.
- Lysol is nasty and way less effective as a sterilant – I wouldn’t use it.
Lysol is a terrible air sanitizer and really bad for your pets and your mushrooms. Said another way: Lysol mutates mushrooms and can kill cats/birds/reptiles….and it is really shitty as an airborne sanitary agent! Oust is infinitely superior for sterilizing air spaces and common room surfaces. Bleach water is even better.
Other than that, sounds like ya got stuff rocking along. If you are dunking a case, it musta already done something good for ya….good luck and keep reporting!
Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:32 PM
Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:11 PM
Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:19 PM
be careful when injecting not to dribble any spore solution
into the dry vermiculite layer that seals the lid holes.
the needle on the syringe must reach far enough to get
past the verm layer entirely
and not leak on the way back up/out.