• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

So this is next project, iam getting some unknown dry sceletoria in the coming days which iam wanting to clone. Now i think the best would be if i would do this on agar, iam also getting some malt extract so shouldnt be a prob to make some agar plates or alternitavly some LC-s. Now since ive never cloned a sceletoria or any dry matter i would like some pointers on how to go about doing this. My initial plan:
1,Cook agar, pour out into plates, let cool, all done in GB.
2, Once cool, cut up sceletoria, remove iner tissue, dip into 3% peroxide, and transfer to plate. Seal with special tape i forgot the name of.
3, Incubate, transfer incase of contams.

So how does this sound? What are the chances? Any input is apretiated :)

peace pot and love

#2 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

i don't know about dry.. but i have cloned fresh stones before
i broke the stone in half, don't cut it.. then i dug a chunk of it out of the center where its still sterile.. put maybe 3 or 4 peices per plate.
then just transfer when you see some good clean growth.
did that about 2 years ago.. and threw g2g i still got jars of stones going. actually i need to eat some of them, lol :)

#3 PsilocibeJuggalo

PsilocibeJuggalo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

Cloning is getting living tissue to replicate. If it is dry it is dead.

(bad information)

#4 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

Dry sclerotia is rock hard. It will be difficult to cut. Assuming its alive, surface sterilization of a whole sclerotium in peroxide dropped directly on agar should work. Its going to need to rehydrate on the agar before it grows but that shouldn't be a problem. If you insist on using inner tissue, surface treat in H2O2 and then rehydrate in sterile distilled water. It will then be soft enough to get at that inner tissue which should be sterile. An antibiotic agar or the addition of a small amount of salt to the agar will help slow or prevent bacterial growth. Even if you see bacteria soon after a transfer, give it time as the mycelium can often start late and still overgrow the contaminates. Success will be indicated by a white fuzz appearing all over the dark sclerotia before leaping off to the agar.

Alternatively, you could attempt to grow a mushroom directly from the sclerotia by planting the sclerotia in a moist casing.

Good luck!

#5 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

Thx for the great advise guys. I got the stones yesterday, they really are stones, rock hard. But there is enought to experiment with, so i think one or two will be treated with peroxide rehydrate in sterile water and moved to agar, and one will be treated soaked and taken apart for inner tissue. Ill try with both salt treated and antibiotic agar. Ill get things updated once i have everything set, my bigest prob is petri dishes. Thanx again for the great advise.

Peace

#6 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:01 AM

Guys quick question. Is it normal for scletoria to be sour as hell, as if taking a bite from a lemon? At first the taste was normal msuhroom like, then out of no where this intence sour taste flooded the back our our mouths, and not even beer wanted to wash it away completly. Is this normall? oR is it rather spiked with something?

#7 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

:bs:

Funny... People clone dry stuff all the time.

#8 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

good luck w this kocos!!
hope it turns out well for ya..
thinking you got that sclerotia from somewhere.. it might not be clean so getting the inside is a good idea :)
also, i suggest h202 agar..
heh

iv read teks before in cloning dry mushroom tissue that they soak it in distilled water for a few days? not sure then dip it in h202 before placing it on agar..

#9 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Dunno man, first i wanna find out if its normal that they taste so sour, if its not normal then i wont be cloning this one. I did finally get petri dishes though glass ones too :)

#10 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

nice :)
i use glass dishes and reuse them all the time
if i reuse them, just wash then bleach dip for 10mins at least
and then pour h202 agar
if i reuse it for agar only and not peroxide agar, i wrap it in aluminum foil and PC it
thats a good investment :)

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

If it is dry it is dead.

Not true.

Hey kokos, could you do some photography of the process and progress?

#12 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

Dude as soon as someone tells me if the sour taste is normall ill get to work and post pics of the process. If the sourness is not normall ill have to wait for another specimen or ill just clone something else thats dry. Iam still looking for parafilm, looks like ive found it now, and iam getting malt extract, i have the lab grade agar. Sooo its just this tissue sample causing confusion at the moment, why is it soooo damn sour? Is that normal?

#13 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:25 AM

i use gladware cling wrap :)

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

wrong.
plz do not speak up giving advice if you are unaware of the facts.
Mycotopia Web Archive: CloningUsing Dry Tissue

#15 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

well the stuff i've eaten taste kinda nutty to me
a weird dry mouth kinda after taste, i guess you could call it sour
personaly i just broke it up into pill sized chunks and swallowed with some koolaid
lost

#16 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

I wouldn't call it sour, more of an acrid aftertaste.

#17 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:24 AM

I wouldn't call it sour, more of an acrid aftertaste.

Ok well in that case i think iam dumping my sample. Upon ingesting a stone, the taste was normal, fungi like, but when it reached the back of my mouth the sour taste was overwhelming very much like when iam sick and i drink vitaminc cristals disolved in water. Perhaps someone spiked the stones with vitamin c? I might still give it a shot, you never know, but i think ill just clone somthing else thats dry for now and when i get my hands on some "clean" stones ill give this a shot. Thanx for the great input everyone, i will be doing this experiment sooner or later. Patience :)

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

You may have eaten a grain of grass seed also. They taste terrible and somewhat sour. They'll definitely give you the bitter beer face.

#19 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:23 AM

You may have eaten a grain of grass seed also. They taste terrible and somewhat sour. They'll definitely give you the bitter beer face.

Could have been but it wasnt, it was small little brains we were eating, def not grains, so it must have been soaked in somthing.. oh well, looks like ill be getting a jalisco print soon. Ill make me own stones, dry one and clone that just for the fun of it :)

#20 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

The Jalisco strain of P. mexicana has been selected for mushroom production and isn't the best sclerotia producer. Unless you are talking about a wild strain of mexicana from Jalisco.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!