Photo
- - - - -

Automation of co2/o2 exchange

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:04 AM

I foil taped a tiny 1 inch 1 watt fan half way up the side of my chamber ,which runs continously to mainly circulate the interior air and stimulate evapouration of the humidity source ..Out side air is gradually entrained through cracks in the lid..The idea was to simulate outdoor conditions which prevent co2 buildup in stagnant air.
I'm quite happy with the results...I dont think its ness to fan out all the air in a chamber when the co2 is primarily just localized to the casing zone..

#22 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:43 AM

I like the idea Golly, but I'm just a little worried about contams being brought in with the fresh air. I might be a little paraniod, I must be introducing shitloads of stuff when I fan manually and don't have problems, but I try to err on the cautious side sometimes :)

If I mount the fan on top and create a little positive pressure in the tank with it, there should be little chance of anything getting in.

#23 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

any pics of your setups?

#24 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:39 PM

I have a 4 inch pc fan on a 48 gal rubbermaid container. It is running 24/7. I do not have any hydration problems at all. I was warned but I dont have any hydration or RH problems.

Here are some pics of my grow chamber. The only difference is I have a second light attached to the bottom of the shelf. I got rid of the perlite on the bottom and I now have six 13x9x2 sized casings in there. I did away with the heating pad under the chamber because of the second light. You can see the little white box on the bottom Left hand side of chamber.

I still have my temp and RH the same. The fan is only running at 9.6v instead of its full 12v. I also use a coffy filter over the little wooden box the fan is in. I attached that to the side of the chamber. Sorry I ahd show my little Maz I had going at that time . I only did two 8x8x1.5 inch pans.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00192.JPG
  • DSC00213.JPG
  • Therm-Hydro.jpg
  • MazzCasings-Cake.jpg
  • Setup.jpg

#25 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:42 PM

Nice Chef...cool set up.

#26 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

"I'm just a little worried about contams being brought in with the fresh air."

Fresh air doesn't promote the growth of contams, stale air does.

I don't think you have to worry about bringing air into your setup so much as getting the stale air out.

I have an unfiltered air pump and have had no problems with contams at all.

#27 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:48 AM

Fresh air doesn't promote the growth of contams, stale air does.

Indeed, but "foreign" spores and bacteria are brought in with the fresh air unless it's filtered or otherwise cleaned.
I really don't know why I'm worrying so much, even with taking the lid off completely several times a day and fanning lots of dirty air in, I very seldom get contams.

I have used an air pump to pump fresh air in, but they're all too noisy. Even with a good "silencer" plenum chamber, and the pump rubber mounted, the constant buzzing gets on my nerves!

#28 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:07 AM

Ime, it was'nt enough to just gradually pump in fresh air. The air has to be turbulent and move around the casings ..there is a noticable difference in the length of time that the grows stay contam free,, especially here in the green zone lol.

#29 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:55 AM

I use an aquarium air pump that stays on 24/7 to provide air exchange for my casings. I usually fan once a day, though I don't always do it and I'm not sure that its necessary. I wrap the pump itself in a big towel to cut down on that annoying humm sound.

#30 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:14 AM

a RH 0f 94% usually is a bit low for cakes and a bit high for casings......but what can i say if your getting good results.

75 is a good temp.

nice work

#31 EdibleSpirits

EdibleSpirits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:26 AM

I just bought a vicks cool mist and I'm wondering if it will supply good air exchange. I have a Rubbermaid 40 gallon with 6 half inch holes on the bottom sides. The holes are covered with peices of cut filter discs. The vicks runs of a timer every 30min. Just wondering what you seniors citizens think. Good air exchange or bad?

#32 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:07 AM

I'm not a senior citizen but they have always worked good for me. On a tub that small it will exchange the air rather quickly. You say it runs every 30 minutes, for how long does it run every 30 mins?

spore....

#33 laborer

laborer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:19 PM

I would say it will provide more than enuff fresh air. Can probably pipe it to do a couple chambers. :D

#34 EdibleSpirits

EdibleSpirits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:02 PM

30min on 30min off

#35 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:32 AM

It will provide plenty of air exchange. Just make sure you can monitor rH levels.

#36 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:52 AM

30 on 30 off is a bit much. My coolmist runs 8 bins of all sizes with ease. I run mine 6 times for 15 minutes a time per day.

#37 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

I just run a tube from my air pump into my tub and I don't even fan anymore. The cakes fuzz up nice and good and there seems to be lots of humidity. I still mist but its out of habit really.
Running the cool mist results in lots more work IMO. It's a fire hazard if it runs out of water. Can result in too much water in the tub and so on. If you want lots of humidity just increase your perlite. I use 3 inches in my tub and have no problems at all. Much simpler than the cool mist setup that I originallly started iwth.

^Complete Agreement with Everything Chill Said^

Using a coolmist instead of an air pump will complicate your setup on many levels, leaving you, of course, with a much more complex system.
Complex doesn't necessarily equal bad, but it does mean that more things can go wrong.
Aquarium air pumps require NO maintenance.
The setup you described doesn't seem like it would benefit from the output of a humidifier.

Aquarium air pumps for tubs (especially tubs with perlite humidification)... Humidifiers used in conjunction with a separate air exchange system for larger spaces like greenhouses, IMHO.

You may even be able to run the air pump constantly...
Check these things out: http://www.petsmart....=gang valve&N=2

Peace, AS

#38 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

Python: I have considered attatching some sort of piece of pastic that open with the force of the air coming out of a hole, but have not found something suitable yet. I was wondering if you had an ideas you might want to share, as I'd like to test this out in the nmext few weeks. If it works, maybe its something we could both use.

How about a clothes dryer outside vent? Don't they have some kind of flapper valve? SHouldn't be difficult to make a small one.

#39 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

lol this thread is from april of 05 guys

#40 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

Some things never get old.

For ultra-simplicity and cheapness, I've had great success just putting whatever type of containter (cased spawn bag, straw tray, BRF cakes on lids, etc) inside a larger rubbermaid tub that I clip window screen over the top of and then lay a wet towel over. I leave about an inch of exposed screen around the edge for air, and I just keep the towel wet (with a little bleach mixed in, needs water added every other day or so). It's "The Towel Tek", I guess.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!