• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

can anyone tell me what this strange growth is? i've never seen mycelium grow like that, so i assume it's a strange new contam i've never come across before. sorry if the picture isn't as detailed as it should be for decent identification.

Attached Thumbnails

• IM003883.JPG

#2 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

Man that is hard to tell. I think it may be ok. IT does not look like pre-sporulated trich. Do you know what trich looks like? Can you get another picture of it maybe from another angle?

How many days has it been there like that? If its trich it will sporulate very soon after you have noticed the mycelium.

#3 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

i don't know if this one is much better, but near the bottom right side of the picture is where i poked at some of the weird growth and it turned slimy and more off-white. it's generally a color darker than the white of healthy mycelium. i've had trich before, but never seen it go through a phase like this.

i'm not sure how long it's been this way as i had given up on this tub days ago. the mycelium had stalled out, so i started giving it air and light just to see if it would do anything at all, and that was the surprise i got when i opened it today. i'd say it's been at least four or five days since i looked at it. there weren't even pins on it last time i looked. i guess i'll just keep an eye on it and wait to see what happens.

also, it seems to be growing on top of pins, so there are places where pins are coming up through it. just wish i had a better camera. maybe later i can find a magnifying glass and take a picture of it magnified.

Attached Thumbnails

• IM003888.JPG

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:14 PM

I'm still not 100% sure. YOu just need to keep an eye on it. Just watch for a funny color change. The brownish stuff your seeing could be good myc metabolites.

#5 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

here's a somewhat better picture. whatever that stuff is, it's noticeably grown since just a few hours ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• IM003897.JPG

#6 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

get that OUT!

#7 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

this stuff seems to have no effect on the growing pins at all. they just keep going and take it along with them. i don't know what to make of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IM003910.JPG
  • IM003908.JPG

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

That is weird looking. Looks almost like calcium deposits (obviously not what it is). New one to me, for sure.

I would get that out of the growing environment and I wouldn't eat any of those pins.

#9 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

Yeah that stuff looks more wierd with every picture you post.

#10 RugRat5288

RugRat5288

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

What strain is that? just wondering if it might be s.a.?

#11 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:52 PM

dixieland

#12 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:57 PM

I was about to ask that. What is the substrate you are using again?

#13 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

wbs to coir/cow poo.

i should get a prize for weirdest contam, right? or at least most confounding.

still no color change, and the pins have no problem with whatever that stuff is. i thought contams were supposed to compete with the shroom mycelium and kill it off, but since no one can even identify this one..

maybe i'll spray it with a bleach solution later to see what happens.

#14 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

also, when that contam dries out, it turns orange.

#15 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

There are people who have dealt with contams by throwing them outside in shady areas, and in so doing started a perfectly healthy outdoor colony. Paul Stamets documented such a case in one of his books. Mushrooms harvested off these colonies were normal. The presence of Ultra Violet light helps kill off most bacteria and the like, and what better source than the sun? Maybe your work won't be a complete loss.

#16 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

i live in the middle of town. i doubt mycelium thrives on cement. thanks for the suggestion though.

i can't wait to move out of this place. i miss trees and grass.

#17 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hmm, find a tree with woodchips or grass underneath. Toss it late at night in a local park or something. Be creative. :D

#18 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

i live in the middle of town. i doubt mycelium thrives on cement. thanks for the suggestion though.

i can't wait to move out of this place. i miss trees and grass.

There is soil somewhere close, even if its a small spot.

#19 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:35 AM

Is there a funny smell like ammonia or fish? Was the manure bagged or fresh from the farm?

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,700 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

That stuff looks a bit like pseudomonas does on a petri dish. I've grown a strain of beech oyster, Hypsizygus tessulatus, that was endemically-contaminated with it once (I swiped an isolate from a store bought specimen). It's not very virulent, so the culture grew right along with the pseudomonas. I eventually did succeed in separating them and got a pure culture, but it was a bitch, and only possible with agar work.

I don't know if pseudomonas goes aerial like in your pics, since it's a slime mold, but I've only seen it on agar as yet so I don't know for sure if that's what it could be, but it's my guess. It also thrives in high humidity, so your environment may be too wet. Some species are beneficial to fruiting (in Agaricus culture anyway) but some can cause problems for people, such as blindness. There are well over a hundred species of pseudomonas, and your contaminant may not even be one of them, but I'm also voting for "don't eat 'em."

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!