#1 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,316 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:30 AM

Since I just read this thread with a guide by the cool GGreatOne234, I wanted to note that someone in the thread suggested using scissors to cut manured shrooms. And since the thread had no reply button to it, I created this post for further information regarding this guide.

Cutting the shrooms form manure with scissors is not good. It causes oxidation to the mushroom and some loss of potency.

You need to extract and lift the shroom with your first two fingers from the base of the ground without hardly even squeezing the mushroom so as to not cause oxidation which is a loss of some of the psilocine alkaloid That is what it the bluing is. a loss of chemicals when the damaged shroom s enzymes reach the air..

Then with your last two fingers you can flick off the small amount of manure from the bottom of the stem.

This helps preserve the potency of the shroom. And shrooms in manure, especially Copelandia species can reproduce every three days for up to 21 days. I have photographed this growth which will later appear on my site in the cultivation section.

So I am posting here a freshly collected basket of Copelandia cyanescens to show yo how they should look when collecting them without any loss of potency. IF dried properly within a day, they can be of high potency at one dried gram and that would be the equivalent of 1 gram dried of Psilocybe semilanceata or 3 dried grams or so of P. cubensis.

A couple of photos of picked Copelandia species with no damage to cause bluing.

Mjshroomer

Mushrooms in lawns or fields and meadows of grasses do not need to be cut with scissors for harvesting.

However, most wood chip and bark mulch varieties do or they get massive dirt and crud sticking to them and in the caps and along the stems. So those who should be clipped with scissors and it does help the mycellium under ground survive better. However, if you are on your hands and knees where you are picking massive collections of P. cyanescens, P. stuntzii or P. baeocystis, you are actually already causing massive damage to the mycelia from your weight on the ground. This means some mushrooms will mutate their shapes into and unusual and abnormal designs.

Notice in the images below how their is a lack of bluing in the collected specimens. Only a few become damaged. One should also carry their containers like they were a cup of coffee so as to not shake or disturb the mushrooms in their containers. Keep them still as you walk through the field and not sling or slop the container to and fro. Remember, it is up to you, the collector, to protect your shrooms from damage and oxidation

Attached Thumbnails

• copepicked4.jpg
  • copepicked2.jpg
  • copepicked3.jpg
  • copepicked1.jpg

• wildedibles likes this

#2 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:00 AM

those are huge! wow! yummy..

#3 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

Too bad the main ingredient to that recipe is fecal matter... :mistrust: Oh well, the end product sure looks good! :eusa_clap Awesome! :D

#4 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,316 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi Jake420,

Are you aware that almost 2/3rds of all vegetables grown in Asia and Southeast Asia are grown in human
excrement

mjshroomer
  • wildedibles likes this

#5 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:01 PM

great tip MJ.

I'll copy your post into the outdoor thread for you.
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

http://mycotopia.net...html#post427199

This is a link to the thread MJ is refering to.
  • wildedibles likes this

#7 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

Argh, is my humor all THAT hard to understand? That's twice now I need to explain my humor. I give up. Serious posts from now on. No more jokes people don't get. :eusa_snoo :D I love mushrooms, and know that most out of the store or off the street were probably grown off some sort of compost. Anyway, take it easy peeps.
  • wildedibles likes this

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:36 AM

#1 rule of jokes-
if you have to explain it
it ain't all that damn funny.
:lol:
  • wildedibles likes this

#9 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,316 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

Jake said:

Too bad the main ingredient to that recipe is fecal matter... :mistrust: Oh well, the end product sure looks good! :eusa_clap

Yes, and remember allt he fecal matter comes out of the end which is the product used to grow the product.

mjshroomer.

And yes I understood the humor which you posted above.
  • wildedibles likes this

#10 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

Heh, the 'cycle' of life. Or at least for the mushroom. :mistrust: It keeps going and going. :mistrust: That doesn't sound right. At least not in a good way like the energizer bunny...

#11 Djsproles420

Djsproles420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

In regards to outdoor Cubensis hunting. Cubensis do in fact grow in Memphis tn. I grew up there and successfully picked them for 7 years in a row. If you have any questions for me please don't be shy, I'm here to shed knowledge.

#12 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,318 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Too bad the main ingredient to that recipe is fecal matter... :mistrust: Oh well, the end product sure looks good! :eusa_clap Awesome! :D

The poo never bothered me but I don't like the maggots and other bugs that like shrooms. I once brewed up a gallon of shroom tea and I had a glass to try it out and put the rest in the fridge. A few days later I decided to have another glass. For some reason it tasted gritty like it had sawdust floating around in it. I held the glass up to the light and there were thousands of little maggots floating around in the glass, most no bigger than an 1/8" long. I must not have heated the tea up enough to kill off the maggots and their eggs. I poured the rest of the gallon down the drain after that. For a second I contemplated straining it through a t-shirt but decided against it.

• wildedibles likes this

#13 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,318 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

In regards to outdoor Cubensis hunting. Cubensis do in fact grow in Memphis tn. I grew up there and successfully picked them for 7 years in a row. If you have any questions for me please don't be shy, I'm here to shed knowledge.

Years ago I was given some shrooms when I was in Gatlinburg and the folks I got them from said they were picked in TN. So yes they do seem to grow in TN.

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

I would like to add that collecting mushrooms in plastic bags is no good some start rotting b4 you get them home (if its wet anyway )

I use a basket now or paper bag no problems :)

I prefer the basket cause spores fall out of it and u may spread them by walking ;)

• AGAMA likes this

#15 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,157 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Probably a brilliant grasp of the obvious but  I learned in telluride this year to bring along newspaper in a backpack and wrap individual mushrooms types separately before putting in a mushroom basket to not mix potentially toxics with edibles or pollute possible spore collection later.

• -=Zeus=- likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!