• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, I had added in a cup of fresh worm castings from the vermicomposter, the lump o poo started smelling better pretty much by the next day.

I just gotta be patient is all...

#42 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

maybe some solar Pasteurization might do the trick.

i think they refer to it as solar composting
let the sun build up under glass and bake the poo
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1190162543
never tried it but it looks pretty useful
even with some cloudy days.
goodluck breaking it down

Attached Thumbnails

• images.jpg

#43 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

No matter the amount, you can tell when compost is done when it has a brown to gold texture, normal fecal smell gone and replaced by sweet earthiness, and it compacts easily between your fingers. So, let your concoction dry back up a bit, not too much mind. Then test the texture and scent, it shouldn't be runny nor smell bad. At that stage, you may want to bake it in your oven (ewe, make sure to clean it real well before making cookies) to pasteurize it of the larger organisms and most smaller ones. Then load her up into pre-filled grain-grown spawn containers. About half an inch or less on top should be good. Thanks for keeping us updated man, sounds like you got all the bases covered and are ready to play.

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

maybe some solar Pasteurization might do the trick.

i think they refer to it as solar composting
let the sun build up under glass and bake the poo
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1190162543
never tried it but it looks pretty useful
even with some cloudy days.
goodluck breaking it down

interesting set-up

#45 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:47 PM

Well, I figured a little neglect never hurt anything, but I might have been wrong.

I haven't done anything to the tub since the last update, though I should have drained the leachate from the bottom bin as soon as it had accumulated. Either through humidity or contact the bottom of the top bin was sitting in the tea this entire time, and when I dumped it out into the mixing tub, the anaerobic poopy smell was back, though it dissipated once I started mixing it all up.

Other than that, the mass had compressed a bit, as there was about three inches of space from the top.

During mixing I noted that the cardboard was almost completely broken down. The overall color is starting to be quite a bit darker, and I think if I fluff it up every other day or so from here on out, this mix ought to turn out pretty good. I'm thinking just another week or so, assuming the weather stays nice like it has been.

There were not really any flies around, though a few dark red pupae were visible within the composting poo.

Coincidentally, it seems that this project might be aligning itself with the needs of another project I have going on... :reb:

:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

• day 20 postmix.JPG
  • day 20 mix.JPG
  • day 20 premix.JPG

#46 Happycaps

Happycaps

I love moonwalking

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:52 AM

MAN that looks like shit!!! LOL. Im glad I baught my poo from a sponsor!! But you have inspired me to go raid a couple pastures and play with more poo.

#47 Jake420

Jake420

The Mycoman

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

At least this playing with fecal matter is for a purpose instead of for some sort of fetish. At least that's what I get from Beastmaster, dunno about you Happycaps. :D Just kidding. All the experiments that can be done for the sake of learning, right?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!