• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 Mark Gavin

Mark Gavin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Wow, I read the forums some more and I am stunned by the hatred, accusations and lies that are being spread here about Jochen Gartz, [redacted] and Magic Mushrooms Around The World. A user named "No One of Importance" is the worst offender. I cannot even BEGIN to address all the horrible accusations this person levies against Jochen Gartz. The thread ("Jochen Gartz Busted in Germany for Mushrooms), appropriately relegated to "Trash Talk", is closed to replies.

The following however, speaks volumes, mainly because NONE of it is true:

A brief tale of [redacted] (350 pounds or more in weight), with a slightly smaller heavy daughter).

This woman, through maile to me from Dr. Gartz, invoice papers from Hometead Book Co. The major publishers and distributors of new age and ne culture booksm, psychedelic art, underground comics, new age calendars, mushroom books and most major drug books, mushroom gowing kits, and their monthly add in High times since issue one in 1974 has been roughly form $1000. the first year (4 issues) 1975 (6) issues and form 1916 to the present, $2000 per month, provided me with letters of her attempting to sell Gartz' 1996 version of "Magic Mushrooms Around the World."

Gartz wrote me hwo she cheated him over and over ont he price for the cost of printing, gertting a $1000s here, $1500s there, $2000s, and another $1500. Before the book appeared in p-rint.
In the meantime, she printed 200- copies of a distributor's edition with really high quality photographs and a nice cover. Inside it reads as copy number 189 and has an acetate lamenated coover, something the copy sold through Amazon and a few other companies did not have ontheir copies. Only 200 copies had the shiny cover.
Now Gartz sent me letters of her keeping all sales repiepts ofthe book and using the profitss for her payment for working for Gartz. And then she wrote gartz a really nassty lett o f what she was going to do to me for saying her photo reproduction was the worst i had ever seen in a printed book. Shi, my Magic mushrooms of the Pacigic northwest has 12 colored photographs that are perfect color and it cost me .58 cents for two sides of color andthe rest of the book.
So bhecause of her nastly letters and what she did to a man I considered at the time to be my friend, I decided I would write on numerous mushroom websites what this woman had done.

The next day, at a private lecture by Rick Doblin of MAPS, I, Gartz, Ott, and Ann and Sasha Shulgin attended this lecture and that is how Imet her.

At the time, and her heavy german accent, I personally did not like her but kept mymouth shut since she appeared to be a friend of gartz.

Whoever you are "No One of Importance" you seem to think that you're important enough that your readers will believe anything you pull out of your nether regions.

The world of psychedelic mycologists is a very small one and you must know you cannot malign people indiscriminately without consequence. I have known Ms. [redacted] professionally for many years. I assisted with some of the illustrations for the English translation of "Magic Mushrooms Around The World".

1) "A brief tale about [redacted]" - You forgot an adjective: "A brief fictional tale about [redacted]"

2) She is nowhere near 350 lbs in weight and never has been. Besides, what does anything being discussed on here have to do with a person's weight? Unless of course, you're saying that overweight people are despicable on general principle, which is a great way of saying "Hey, look at me - I'm a bigot!"

3) [redacted] has no children of any gender or weight. But again, way to show your true character. Not only are you lying through your teeth, you have absolutely no qualms about dragging people's children - fictional as they may be - into your personal flame wars online. Classy.

4) Your second paragraph is so poorly written and error-riddled that it cannot be parsed into anything comprehensible.

5) Throwing dollar numbers around that you pulled out of thin air just makes you look desperate. Of course there were printing and production costs - do you think books get printed for free? The English version was self-published and self-financed and all those associated with the project, including [redacted] and Jochen Gartz and myself invested time, money and resources to bring the book to any English-speaking audience.The book had a 1-time, limited edition run of 5,000 copies. In the end, the project didn't even break even. No profits were made by anyone from the sale of the English edition. But I'm sure you can make up some more stuff to "prove" me wrong.

6) A dozen review copies with clear covers were produced, not 200. They were clearly marked, and not for distribution or sale. They were not numbered in any way, and nothing was hand-written on them.

7) Next, you're admitting that you have a vendetta against Ms. [redacted] because the two of you disagreed on the quality of the pictures in the English book. Is it possible to be any more immature than that?

8) Next, you admit that you have spread lies about [redacted] - and I'm sure about Jochen Gartz - on other websites as well. High school lunch room bullying at its best.

9) Ms. [redacted] has no accent, as she grew up bilingually. But hey, thanks for admitting that you are so unbelievably shallow you will dislike a person because English may noticeably not be their first language. Not to mention that it is utterly hilarious of you to accuse anyone of any linguistic shortcomings in a post such as the above that is so riddled with spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax errors as to be virtually incomprehensible much of the time.

Defending Jochen Gartz from your vile attacks would take dozens of pages. I don't know what this man ever did to you. Maybe making up trashy lies about people you clearly don't know is how you get your jollies. Either way, those with critical thinking skills who are reading this can independently verify much of the info I posted above. I can tell those reading this that your trash talk of Jochen Gartz is just more of the same - Plain and simple trash.

I am new to this particular forum. It was recommended to me and I expected to find some quality content here. But seeing such vicious, unfounded, personal attacks that go on for pages and pages is really disappointing. I had really hoped to find reputable contributors and information here.

- Mark
[h=1][/h]

#22 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your input Mark!

#23 Mark Gavin

Mark Gavin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

My pleasure, roc. I came back here expecting to find more of the same (flame posts and lies) in response, but it's good to see that such behavior doesn't seem to be a resident trait of this board.

Happy New Year!

- Mark

#24 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 1,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

My pleasure, roc. I came back here expecting to find more of the same (flame posts and lies) in response, but it's good to see that such behavior doesn't seem to be a resident trait of this board...

...flame posts and lies...burn brightly and quickly they die out, if we are lucky.

#25 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 1,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Dang, what a tangled web. Unfortunately it makes it hard to track accutate observations when relabling and miss attribution occur. The result is not an advancement of mycology but obfusction.

#26 roc

roc

• 6,875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Nice to see you around MJ!

#27 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,332 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yu too Roc. Sometimes my security goes off eery week or so and it deletes ny friggin passwords and I keep having to change them. I had to defend that shit poster who open a thread from several years ago just to stir my shit. I have every paper I noted in my files but I am working to clean up my site. I actually sold everything shroomy In my home to a good friend and I have about a year to catalog and finish several projects. I was just nominated to contribute to a 2-volume book set on psychoactive plants and shrooms used by primitive peoples from a scholar I know who nominated me to the University press of a particular school to write a chapter. Just as I want to go to Cambodia, I am again stuck for at least one more year of shroomy things. I have my vol. IX coming out at MAPS sometime in a month or so. Amazon wants to resell for me my Magic mushrooms of the PNW, and now someone is selling a 158 page book called Psychoactive Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest and much of the summary of it sounds like a lot of items from my book. But mine is 36 pages. I need to add the P. allenii into the guide as well as three other unnamed species I am working on with others. I am also going to contribute the chemical analysis with an SF mycologist and my Thai colleagues, an article for Mushroom the Journal from Leon Shernoff of Chicago on Thai medicinal and edibles from Thailand and Cambodia, plus 100 copies of my old Opium Poppy cultivation book from 1978 and a book on the history of LSD with a colleague from Italy, and finally an article on my two and a half month Cultivation of commercial Thai tobacco (like top and buglar [sp?]). I grew and photographed the whole process so a short pictorial for the Journal of Economic Botany. Have a shroomy day.

#28 roc

roc

• 6,875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

I love Freedom of Speech!

#29 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Holy Fuck! What The Fuck?! Personal Messenger is for this fucked up personal shit! I, for one, consider Mycotopia my sanctuary from the bullshit that exists in life. This is a place for growing, IMOFO, growing nature's blessings, as well as growing spiritually, and personally, including growing friendships and empathy.

Please, please, please, PEACE on these precious boards!

Thank you, 1967.
  • Juthro likes this

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,284 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Holy Fuck! What The Fuck?! Personal Messenger is for this fucked up personal shit! I, for one, consider Mycotopia my sanctuary from the bullshit that exists in life. This is a place for growing, IMOFO, growing nature's blessings, as well as growing spiritually, and personally, including growing friendships and empathy.

Please, please, please, PEACE on these precious boards!

Thank you, 1967.

I would have to agree.

This sounds more like “Days of our Lives”, then “Learning How to Grow”.

I like MJ, he is an active contributing member here.  He has forgot more about mycology then I will likely ever know.  I think it’s a shame someone is allowed on the site with the sole intent to flame him. This guy seems to have no interest in then site, or what we are about. What has he done to contribute here? 5 posts and not one have contributed anything but venom. He is here to grind an ax, plain and simple. I take offence to that.

I don’t know the back history, and I will be honest, I don’t care. We all have our baggage, but that doesn’t mean we need to air it out on the open forum.

I vote get over it or just get.

Mods, if I am out of line here let me know and I will take care of it.

• bigjimmy and 1967FordTitus like this

#31 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Well said, Juthro. Mycotopia is a great 'place', but we, this community here, will not be able reach our full potential, without true participation. IMO, and from my experience, when folks see this kind of negativity and poo-stirring, they tend to pull back, and not contribute, which is a great loss. Please, let's grow, in every sense of the word. As always, and in all ways, peace my friends.

#32 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,826 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Just like you guys this is not my fight. So I'm not trying to get involved.

But. . .

I will say that MJ has been coming here (and probably other OMC's) for years talking all kinds of shit about other well know mycologists.  It is about time someone calls him out.

Edited by cyclenaut, 26 January 2014 - 06:33 PM.

• 1967FordTitus likes this

#33 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm going to have to agree on this. There is ZERO reason to speak of others in such a way that MJ does frequently, and none of those posts contribute anything positive to the scene or this site. There may be legal ramifications for libel but I'm not a lawyer so cannot speak to this. There may also be an amount of free speech rights here as well, but again, not a lawyer.

I will bring this up to the staff and determine what we should and can do about it. I'll also mention putting a muzzle on MJ for these types of posts in the future, but how far do we choose to moderate such behavior from him or others before we get accused of "censoring" people?

This is a slippery slope IMHO and no good can come of it. The person in question here, Mrs. [redacted], has contacted us directly about the lies and accusations posted here by MJ. She is also apparently a friend of Mr. Gavin so there is a little bias to contend with here as well. I am closing this thread for now while we discuss, Mr. Gavin or Mrs. [redacted] may PM me if they feel it necessary.

• 1967FordTitus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!