Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

where's a good bulk source for rye berries ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

hey HF wanna give me some recomended popcorn preping instructions? i know your one of the vets around here, i wanted a good high quality spawn to innoc substrate, is popcorn an inferrior substitute?

#22 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:55 AM

After trying popcorn and rye, I have definately observed that the rye is a bit easier to prepare, as it is easier IMHO to get your popcorn contaminated or even worse "starched" because of overcooking. I cant find the link but HighFlyer has a tek out for popcorn that produces great results.

also check out this thread:
http://mycotopia.net...5553#post165553

#23 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:58 AM

Call your County/regional agricultural extention agent for local grain resources..Tell em u wanna do some baking...not get baked..Harrr....

#24 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

if you go to a health food store you are going to pay way too much, but, there, you need to ask for rye berries. If you go to an ag distribution center like a local seed and feed store ask for rye grain, and you will pay a lot less for a lot more. Ask for pennington winter grazer 70 rye, and if they ask why you need it tell them that you scatter it around your property for the wildlife to eat. I should say that this product may be available only during the fall and winter months, but give it a try.

#25 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

called the feed store, they dont have it either, efff.

#26 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:59 AM

try an emergency essentials store, I couldnt get rye there but they had hard winter wheat for 20.00 for 46 lbs bucket, it seems to work just fine, no complaints here

#27 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

hey HF wanna give me some recomended popcorn preping instructions? i know your one of the vets around here, i wanted a good high quality spawn to innoc substrate, is popcorn an inferrior substitute?

Spawning with popcorn is something I would not suggest to use it for. If you are going to spawn with corn then I would use 50/50 corn/wbs. It will increase your inoculation points and allow for faster colonization. Id use quarts of corn for starting your quarts of isolates or multispore for future transfers, or if you plan on creating straight grain casings. It works very well for both of these functions. Aside from that here is how id prepare it.

PC corn for 60 minutes at 15psi to hydrate. Only fill your PC 1/4 full of corn and fill it to the top with water.
Rinse corn well and let strain for 30 minutes. I used to towel dry it, which works better and removes starch, but it became too much of a pita when just straining will work fine.
Fill your quarts. Polyfill lid (or whatever). Foil.
PC for 60 mins at 15psi.

When preparing a 50/50 corn/wbs...
soak wbs for 24 hrs
rinse well and let strain for 30 mins
prepare corn separately as mentioned above
mix

#28 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:37 PM

Whole Foods is the nations largest natural food retailer. Any location should be able to provide/order organic rye berries for you. You can even order it in huge sacks instead of from their bulk bins!

They don't blink and eye because they get all sorts of totally weird health nuts. "I'm creating rye seed crackers/bread/etc whatever."

#29 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

i havent found any places online yet, anyone else find any places that carry it online? what are the best places you guys have found locally online, etc... thanks!

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:18 AM

my organic grocer can get it ok
but they want ~$20+
for a 50 lb. bag

#31 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

man i spend almost 10 yesterday for under 10lbs. its expensive schiznit.

#32 SyntheMesc

SyntheMesc

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

Try United Natural Foods.

They are a national natural/organic foods distro with hubs all over the country. As rodger said, u should be able to obtain an account with yer tax payer id, although shipping may get you depending on where the closest hub is located. Will call is also an option too. I believe there url is www.unfi.com.

Good luck!

#33 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

8.50 for 50lbs!?! That is cheaper than WBS - damn I need to check around for a such a place in my area.

Close, but if you bough wholesale WBS it wouldn't be. RR is getting it wholesale.

Meijer sells 40 lb WBS on sale for 7.99 frequently. Probably wholesales for much less.

#34 thick50

thick50

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:57 PM

I got mine from "True Foods Market" on the web. $3.63 for 5lbs. plus s/h. :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!