Photo
- - - - -

Kelp as a substrate additive?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_twizzz_*

Guest_twizzz_*

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

There's a huge market for kelp, its very nutritional to people, all up and down the west coast you'll see hippies wading into the water harvesting(/gathering?) various kelps from the rocky tidal areas, than drying it and selling it at farmers market. It's incredibly good for you.

Green kelp espescially from cold northern waters like norway, alaska, mabey BC, maybe even as far south as Nor Cal, is extremley good for plants having not only iodine and a decent NPK, but mostly for it's growth hormones, cytokinin & gibberelin which it has in abbundance.

I've been wondering myself about the benifits of these hormones on fungi.

#22 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

Anyone got the answere im lookin for? I saw on the tv show "dirty jobs" they were mixing bags of urea (high nitrogen) with there mushroom compost pile.. So using a high nitrogen fertilizer should be beneficial, if you can get the concentration right! Guess i'll have to run a few tests of my own..

the nitrogen speeds up the composting most compost is very week in N,P,K, when its finished

where is a good place to get kelp i dont live by water do they sell it at lows; home depot; wallmart?

#23 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

Kelp liquids and powders are pretty easy to find at most garden shops...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!