• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

Field guides are indispensible to the mushroom hunter, unless you're hunting for a specific species and they are easy to identify, such as chanterelles, boletes, etc.

I bring along a copy of All That the Rain Promises and More... its a handy back pocket type book that handles getting damp pretty well.

Once my bags are full I go home where my well used copy of Mushrooms Demystified is waiting for some close examinations and work with the extensive keys.

I like that these two books are written by the same author, which he takes advantage of by referring you to MD for more info in All That the Rain Promises and More..

Also, for a more complete overview of the magic mushrooms, Paul Stamet's Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World: An Identification Guide is worth the purchase.

Feel free to share your favorite mushroom hunting books in this thread.

Attached Thumbnails

• PMoW.jpg
  • MD.jpg
  • all_that_the_rain.jpg

• RAY CECIL likes this

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

I have these 3 and really like them all.

Attached Thumbnails

• 515W9DQ1G9L._AA240_.jpg
  • 51E765EXC1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
  • 51TEH8BRYKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

This book is really nice as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 518SE2SFP2L._AA240_.jpg

#4 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:30 AM

I want to recommend my favorite Field Guides for Magic ShroomHunting.

The first is my booklet, "Magic Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest." This booklet describes 18 species common from San Francisco to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 12 photographs in full color and 35 black and white photographs.

This field guide is the oldest longest selling guide to magic mushroom identification and has out sold both of Paul Stamet's two Field guides. First published in July of 1976, it has now been in print for more than 32 years and still sells quite well.

Also I want to recommend, for those who live in Hawaii

"Magic Mushrooms of the Hawaiian Islands" with
6 photographs in full color and numerous black and white photographs Of Hawaiian Magic Mushrooms.

And for those of you wishing to vacation in Exotic Locations, a book on where to obtain mushroom omelettes, pizzas, soups, and mushroom smooties, "Magic mushrooms in Some Third World Countries, " co-authored by Jochen Gartz.

mjshroomer

Attached Thumbnails

• mmistwc1.jpg
  • mmofh1.jpg
  • MMPNW3.jpg
  • MMPNW2.jpg
  • MMPNW1.jpg

#5 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

Psychedelic Mushrooms of Eastern North America

Here is a guide you can use for free!

http://en.wikipedia....n_North_America
  • RAY CECIL likes this

#6 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hopefully Hippie3 can make this a sticky please,

mjshroomer

The most common used book by Rolf Singer who classified all the Agaricales and also later wrote the first monograph on Psilocybe species.

Singer, Rolf. The Agaricales in Modern Taxonomy, 4th Revised Edition
1200 pages, 73 plates (some colored), cloth. 1986.................................................................................................... $240.00

These are four of the most common popular books used in schools today by amateurs who want to study mushrooms.

Quote:
Largent, D.L. How to I.D to Genus I: Macroscopic Features
1980. $14.95.

Largent, D.L.: How to I.D. To Genus II: Field I.D. of Genera
1980. $26.95

Largent, D.L.: How to I.D to Genus III: Microscopic Features
1980. $23.95

Largent. D.L. & Baroni, T.J.: How to I.D. to Genus VI: Modern Genera
1988. $23.95

and here is a list of mycology books for beginners

Mycology Books for Beginners Index

http://mycotopia.net...books_index.pdf

I found it strange that this list did not include Gaston Guzman's, The Genus Psilocybe, but then again that is a book of taxonomy of the genus. The list also did not include Ewald Gerhardt's German language monograph of Panaeolus or that of Gyorgy-Miklos Ola'h's French monograph of Panaeolus.

shroom - walker

Here are two references to the most simplest of books used in universities on mycology.

Christiansen, Clyde M. 1965. Hallucinogenic fungi. The Molds of Man:215-216. University of Minnesota Press. Minneapolis.
A fine book for studying and learning the basics of mycology (the study of mushrooms).

------. 1975. Molds, Mushrooms and Mycotaxon. 164p. University of Minnesota Press. Minneapolis.

Attached Files

Edited by mjshroomer, 29 May 2009 - 12:56 PM.
trying to attache PDF File

• RAY CECIL likes this

#7 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,929 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

Largent, D.L.: How to I.D to Genus III: Microscopic Features
1980. $23.95

Largent. D.L. & Baroni, T.J.: How to I.D. to Genus VI: Modern Genera
1988. $23.95

Those are two of my favorite and most useful books.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

stuck
:bow:

#9 johnnydigital

johnnydigital

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

Thank you so much for those links.

Just downloaded your guide in pdf form WarriorSoul and it is EXCELLENT.

#10 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

Psychedelic Mushrooms of Eastern North America

Here is a guide you can use for free!

http://en.wikipedia....n_North_America

Warrior Soul,

Regarding the field guid eyou listed form Wikipedia, Psilocybe quebecensis is not the most northern known psilocybian mushroom. It was first collected and written about my colleague, Gyorgy-Mikos Ola'h and French mycologist Roger Heim in 1966 when they wrote the paper on the taxonomy of the species. In 1973, Ola'h wrote the paper, "The Fine structure of Psilocybe quebecensis. Between 1966 and 1973, Ola'h reported finding it in the same spot every year, and in several similar habitats, all in the Jacques Catier River Valley area of norther Quebec. At the time, they described it as the only species of the far northern region of the North American Continent. However, at that time, Ola'h was not aware that Psilocybe semilanceata was also north and further than the location of P. quebecensis. You might want to change the page for that comment in you Wikipedia book as I do not know how to add or remove data from those pages.

No one outside of Ola'h and Heim have found this species since. I believe that one collection of a few specimens was found in Montreal at Mount Royal Park on time.

P. semilanceata grows much farther north in pasturelands throughout north western Quebec Province as far as Riv du lu in and farther north in Quebec, including way north of Quebec city in the province of Quebec

John have a shroomy day.

There are some minor errors in species data of several in the guide.

#11 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Thanks John.

Unfortunately, people have started to edit the articles there to fit the Wikipedia format, and in the process they have reworded some of the descriptions, for the worse...Ive stopped writing articles there because of this headache.

Any errors you can point out, minor or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

btw.. there have been some finds of Psilocybe quebecensis in the last few years.

http://www.flickr.co...@N06/2599617042

http://www.flickr.co...N06/2135539245/

Edited by warriorsoul, 27 October 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#12 plantman21

plantman21

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

I love all the links! But since I am starting a personal library with my girl, we will probably just purchase most of those books. We are in the process of getting a book on Enki. And off topic a little my favorite book that I own is "Liveing on the Earth", by Alicia Bay Laurel. A true hippy book. It is all in her hand writeing, and not many copies where published. A true treasure in my eyes.
Plantman

#13 Mushrooms201

Mushrooms201

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for sharing all.

#14 gorilla

gorilla

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

what would be the best for the eastern usa (i.e. appalachia)??? it seems the best ones focus on the west coast.

#15 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

That one about Eastern North America that Lazlo posted looks like it would cover the area you're asking about.

Mushrooms Demystified is a really comprehensive manual for all North American Mushrooms. True there are probably more mushrooms in the Pacific Northwest than found in the rest of the continent, but that doesn't mean that a good field guide won't cover the other areas as well, that said I don't think you'll be disappointed by MD.

#16 gorilla

gorilla

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

This book is really nice as well.

haha whoops don't know how i missed this post.

thanks, beastmaster

#17 Jose_sixpac

Jose_sixpac

Djembe~Woof

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

Next, I will be getting the two books by D L Largent, that Mj and Alan mentioned above.

For now; I have the National Audubon society: Field guide to mushrooms; G Lincoff, nobody mentioned this one...I like the heavy duty binder and flip through guide from visual to discription.
Also I have edible wild mushrooms of north America...this one I have found not as enjoyable.
I have it with me all the time...it does mean that I am hooked and not presently seeking intervention.

I'm goin in...

jose.

Edited by Jose_sixpac, 25 August 2009 - 10:07 AM.
spell

#18 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:56 AM

I've just been gifted a copy of The Encyclopedia of Fungi of Britain and Europe. It's pretty good. 334 pages, 1,000 species with photographs. There's even a few psilocybe mushrooms listed in it, which makes a change for a British guide, but it's still less than comprehensive in this regard...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

#19 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,929 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Australian Field Guides.

"A Field Guide to Australian Fungi" - B. Fuhrer ISBN:9781876473518.

"A Field Companion to Australian Fungi" - B. Fuhrer ISBN:9781876473402.

"A Field Guide to the Fungi of Australia" - A.M. Young ISBN: 9780868407425.

"Fungi of the South-West Forests" - R. Richardson ISBN:0730755282.

"Fungi Down Under: the Fungimap Guide to Australian Fungi" - Pat & Ed Grey ISBN:9780646446745.

"Australian Fungi Illustrated" - I. McCann ISBN:9780975078006

"The Magical World of Fungi" - P. Negus ISBN:9780957772991

"Fungi Out West: Some Fungi of Southern Inland Queensland" - R. Tait ISBN:9780980382402

"Fungi of Southern Australia" - N. Bougher & K. Syme ISBN:9781875560806

"Larger Fungi of South Australia" - C.A. Grgurinovic ISBN:0730807371

"Common Australian Fungi : A Bushwalker's Guide" - T. Young ISBN:9780868406503

"An introduction to the mushrooms, toadstools and larger fungi of Queensland" - J.E.C. Aberdeen ISBN: :shrug:

"A Field Guide to the Common Genera of Gilled Fungi of Australia" - M. Cole, B. Fuhrer & A. Holland ISBN:0909605114

"Rainforest Fungi of Tasmania and South-East Australia" - B. Fuhrer & R. Robinson ISBN: 9780643053113

"Australian Mushrooms and Toadstools: How to identify them (revised ed.)" - A.E. Wood ISBN:9780868400440

Guides/Refrences to Specific Genera (Many to add here, will do so as soon as possible)

"The genus Mycena in south-eastern Australia" - C.A. Grgurinovic ISBN:9628676520

"Fungi of Australia: Hygrophoraceae" - A.M. Young ISBN:9780643091955

CD ROMS

Fungimap. Compendium of Fungimap Target Species, Version 1.1 (CD-ROM), Fungimap, Melbourne, Australia, 2001.

Young, AM. 101 Forest Fungi of Eastern Australia, CD-ROM, Version 1.0, Knowledge Books & Software, Brighton, Queensland and ABRS, Canberra, 2001.

Field Naturalists Club of Victoria, The Fungi CD
2nd Edition 2009.

Free PDF Field Guides

http://www.fungipert...Field-Book.html - Field guide to urban mushrooms of Perth. *Note: They seem to update this from time to time and it goes offline for a while when they do.

http://www.denmark.w...omacrofungi.pdf - A Guide to Macrofungi in Mt Hallowell and Wilson Inlet Foreshore Reserves

http://www.anbg.gov....ates/index.html - Plates for M.C. Cooke's "Handbook of Australian Fungi"

I will edit and update these lists with descriptions and any new additions when I have some more free time.

If anyone has any to add to the list please shoot me a message.

--Compiled by Stopwhispering
  • Rainbow _ Unicorn and TasGecko like this

#20 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Also available ar erowid.org is, "Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand" with about 25 colored photos. Originally published in a 1990 issue of the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, the erowid version is an extended edtion with data not in the journal published copy. I intend to post a PDF on my website sometime this summer from the original journal article.

Also see my best mushroom books library posted here in part one to four. I am sorry I did not get around to the books and articles of the !980s to the books of 2012. Freaky had promised to create a John Allen thread here for all of my published papers and pictorials I contributed here since 2002, yet never did. Eastwood played games with me with a midnight call trying to get me to put my personal info in advertising here when i told him my site does not endorse companies or individual sales as it is slowly a site for learning and appreciating magic shrooms. He got my phone number, called me late at night from the east coast and he also requested I hold some merchandise for him to buy and then flaked off with no response back after several pm messages which I copied and kept to my folder of people at shroom sites who asked me to save items for them and then do not respond or buy them after others asked for them and I tell them that someone already wanted them or ordered them. Eastwood's game was he had to go to the bank and he sent me several messages here that he was going after work each day for about five days. So because he did not keep his word, I sold the item he ask me to specifically hold for him. I sent him an additional mail telling him if I did not here back again aI would sell them to others that wanted the magazine.

Sometimes I get letters later from perspective buyers saying I do not have a yahoo card or I do not have a hotmail card to send the money to paypal or a paypal card (something one does not need or like Yahoo or Hotmail, no such card exists, and they tell me they need to go to the bank to get money to buy a yahoo account card. Of course that is a lie that anyone with half a brain would know. And recently someone did the same to me at another shroom site, wanted me to hold items and then after 5 days and no reply back, the person just did not answer the emails or pm messages that began with somone asking to purchase.

I want to bring to the attention of members here, I will have ten full color editions of "Magic Mushrooms of the PNW" for sale in a few months. Every species with colored photos on the pages of identification and 24 colored extra photos in the two centerfolds. A one time sale only, with one copy to Harvard, one to the U of W and one to Erowid. The other 7 will be auctioned off at ebay. A very nice member of another site just put up the money (a lot) to print ten such copies, a one time only sale and printing, for me as a thank you for all my work in the field of shrooms and my sharing that work with the world. And that very person requested that I keep his copy I was to give him as a gift to me for my work, although I am selling everything of mine mushroom and other drug related library soon as I am cataloging the photos right now in albums and the slides.

Have a shroomy day, and get the Largent books that I and Alan listed above. They are the best learning tooks to keying a mushroom ifor the serious person who really wants to learn how to key out a shroom to a particular genera and species. and have a shroomy day,

myconaut

Edited by Man of Knowledge, 31 May 2012 - 10:46 AM.
AS usual, Typos due to my bad vision

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!