24 replies to this topic

#21 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Yep, wet spot all the way. So much for the anti-bac agar :pirate:

Have you had any better luck with your other plates?

if you want to use agar and rye substrate, do you only need to cut a little piece of the mycelium off of the agar and put it into a 1L jar filled with PC'd rye? seems too good to be true, that's why i'm asking...seems like you could do like a hundred jars from one syringe

Yessir, that's the way it works. There's no need to work with agar if you want to extend the amount of jars you can do with a syringe though. You could start a liquid culture by sterilizing some honey-water in the microwave and use that to inoculate jars. If you're careful and maybe a little lucky you'll never have to buy another spore syringe again.

#22 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

can you clone into liquid cultures too? i'm assuming it'd be hard to seperate the rhizomorphic growth in a LC...i'll have to read up on that stuff....there is so much to this hobby!! haha

#23 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

Sure, but there's no need to clone mycellium. You'll be more successful cloning a bit of the inner stem tissue of a maturing mushroom straight into the LC.

Sorry for the hijack truth=peace :hugs:

#24 truth=peace

truth=peace

drapes and curtains

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

last night, i inoc'd four more plates from the same pour, which exhibited no signs of contams. i will post updated pics as soon as possible.

and Defiance, dont be hijackin my threads. i see any more posts from you and im crackin skulls! :lol:

(that's a joke dude. more the merrier! :eusa_clap)

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

It helps to stack dishes you've just poured, since as they cool, the heat from the one above will keep the lid of the one below nearly free of condensation (the dish on top will still have some, of course). Waiting to pour until the agar is almost cooled to where it begins gelling greatly reduces condensation as well.

if you want to use agar and rye substrate , do you only need to cut a little piece of the Mycelium off of the agar and put it into a 1L jar filled with PC'd rye ? seems too good to be true, that's why i'm asking...seems like you could do like a hundred jars from one syringe

That's the classic agar-wedge technique, which does work but takes forever compared to LC's or g2g transfers, and everything must be absolutely perfectly clean. Most innovations in home mycology have been attempts to improve performance over the wedge method, and are much more efficient.

A drop of spore solution to LC to a whole grain spawn master then g2g inoc of more grain jars is a way to extend a syringe very, very far and will be much faster than spores to agar to jars. My syringes stretch so far that after a year, a 10cc syringe can still have 5cc's left, and by then I prefer to make new ones.

Adding a stainless steel machine screw or nut or something like that to the LC before PC'ing (or boiling) is one simple option for helping to break up the mycelium when it's time to use it (just shake/swirl the LC and the screw breaks up the myc for drawing into a syringe).
  • souravhajra5 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!