84 replies to this topic

#41 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

second flush then (fingers crossed)
Although I don't know if it'll even colo completely which might lead to a difficult dunk

#42 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Hip, if your hope is to b able to fruit inside the wax paper log in normal room humidity levels , then A LOT of spraying would b needed....I decided to put an inverted plastic grocery bag very loosely over top to slow the loss thru the wax paper...I will lift the bag twice a day and mist as needed -i would have to dunk before the first flush if i did'nt take this measure.
Presently they are both growing super well on the surface..

#43 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:28 AM

dunk before the first flush

that was actually part of my 'plan',
to max out h20 content for
1st flush.

#44 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

Okeedokee..Well moisture loss has been reduced to an acceptable level..growth is very strong and rhizo, thanx to capt. Max's spores.
The inverted plastic bag appears to create an ideal environment when loosely fitted as it stays inflated all by itself.

Attached Thumbnails

• mmm.jpeg

#45 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

any chance of updated pix ?

#46 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:50 PM

Although this experiment has drifted away from the wax paper idea ,i believe it's still in the theme of fruiting without specialized equipment..
This pic is the sub on a dinner plate with grocery bag lifted for viewing.
i double bagged to make it more ridged and cut a small vent in the top.
When i see sighns of pinning i will dunk.

Attached Thumbnails

• ppp.jpeg

#47 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

This one was the foil kiss, but i had another idea for a low maintenance method to fruit, using a wicking tec ,whereby the sub is elevated above a resevoir [fryingpan] and water is wicked up on a paper towel over the sub.
Slits are cut in the towel for air...This pic shows one of the tabs pulled up.
This setup should require no maintenance for long periods with a minimal moisture loss..

Attached Thumbnails

• ooo.jpeg

#48 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

Along similar trains of thought I made a couple of small 'bricks' in a berry toting container. I'm sure you all know the type; plastic mesh one pint container that you get when you go to self pick bluberry or strwberry places. Each one was half a pint of colonized rice and about the same amount of castings n coir. they are both wrapped in wax paper like christmas presents now and should be about run through now. I'm gonna take one out and put it in a plastic conatiner that you would get a cake from the grocery store in (clear lid) to fruit and leave the other one in the wax paper. One will end up like Golly's somewhat except with a cake container instead of a plastic bag. The other will hopefully have enough room and humidity in the wax paper to fruit invitro. I'll prolly losen the paper considerably when I take it off to see if its completely spawned. They're both 'sealed' with tape now. Both were made out of the same strain that came from a one pint jar of rice so we'lll see which one performs better.

#49 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

lookin' forward to this.
:)

#50 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

any more updates?

#51 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

The grocery bag sub has had an overnyt dunk after having lost nearly a cup of water to evapouration.
The wicking sub still has very vibrant growth with sighns of knotting and little water loss.
The control sub has been cased..

#52 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

pics?

#53 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

w/o going into details I am sorry to inform that my grow was compromised and I had to dispose of it. it was promising though, the cake container one had a very good pinset before its demise. The waxpaperwrapped one got dry pretty quick which is the only real problem I think with your idea hip, it almost could have used a dunk pre first flush. Good luck with yours golly, you'll have to pick up the slack for me as I prolly cant contribute for awhile :)

#54 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:52 AM

a pre-flush dunk might be the thing then.
thx
hope you ride the storm out ok

#55 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

Sorry to hear that Vrooota..
My two subs R pinning now but the cased casing has not..
The sub with the grocery bag was dunked again ,but only briefly ...
The wicking sub is still very well hydrated without any maintenance in the open air
and i should note that the RH. has been very low last two weeks, like 20-30%
I'll get some pix out by tommorow...

#56 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Day 18 ..The papertowel sub has the best pinset with almost no maintenance in open air -no dunking spraying ect.
The grocery bag sub also pinning well, after one quick 10 second dunk every day then placed back under the bag.
The cased Sub has pinned much more slowly and may, be because its trying to colonize the casing layer added last week -although its hard to tell at this point as it has completely covered it now...
I'm def gonna try the wicking tec again but with toilet paper instead, as sometimes the pins need help breaking through paper towels..I will try that for the second flush also...

Attached Thumbnails

• 33.jpeg
  • 11.jpeg
  • 22.jpeg

#57 vp7

vp7

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

if you're looking for an easy/efficient way from rye spawn to fruit, coir is the way to go. i found a great way to do this with those disposable tupperware things you can get at the store. fill one of 'em with some coir, and a spoon of lime. set the lid on and microwave for a couple mins. when cool, mix in rye. it'll colonize pretty quickly. i then use another container with a couple filtered holes taped on top like the double tub thing. they're pretty easy to make, can be stacked, fruit well, and don't need to be sprayed or anything. just thought i'd share. ;)

#58 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

so straight coir makes a decent substrate ehh? Would it be beneficial to add some poo or castings to the mix?

#59 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

I've just recently did 2 coir/compost/coffee pasturized with a 1/2 cup of lime, spawned with 4qts. of wbs in tubs. They're looking really nice. Coir is great for numerous things. :D

#60 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

yes yes and yes that is exactly what my project was (castings n coir)except I spawned from rice
when I find the software for me digi I'll post the few pics I had of the fated projects pinning

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!