84 replies to this topic

#61 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

good stuff, golly.
open air, that's the ticket to beating contams.

Day 18 ..The papertowel sub has the best pinset with almost no maintenance in open air -no dunking spraying ect.
The grocery bag sub also pinning well, after one quick 10 second dunk every day then placed back under the bag.
The cased Sub has pinned much more slowly and may, be because its trying to colonize the casing layer added last week -although its hard to tell at this point as it has completely covered it now...
I'm def gonna try the wicking tec again but with toilet paper instead, as sometimes the pins need help breaking through paper towels..I will try that for the second flush also...

#62 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

Day 20,,, about harvest time for the wicking sub ,which is about 1 day ahead of the other two -proly cause it has more hydration..
So I'll clean off all pins and repaper the surface for next flush..
The next experiment is with a pan Cyan wicking sub -Toilet paper,,now at day 3 in open air...

#63 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

forgot the pix -gotta have pix

Attached Thumbnails

• 55.jpeg
  • 77.jpeg
  • 44.jpeg

#64 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

nice flush :)

#65 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:53 AM

Thanx ..Interesting to note that the most productive Sub was the one that retained the most moisture ...the wicking sub lost only 40 grams befor harvest
........................the dunked grocery bag Sub lost 230 grams
,..................the sprayed/dunked casing lost 250 grams water and so far is the lowest producing of the three...
Sooo i would say that even if the substrate always appears moist - it may still be losing crittical moisture, nessessary for a good pin set.
Being as this thread has morphed from wax paper to toilet paper,, i will start a new one if this "wicking" idea continues to prove succsessfull...

#66 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:20 AM

it's using, not loosing, much of that water.
i think one should consider dunking before initiating pinning
for bigger yields

#67 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:10 AM

wow man i really like paper towle/TP action. It seems to have done good. I got questions fer ya!

How did you elevate the substrate above the water body? How much of the paper towels is actually in the water? I guess the water is about 1 inch deep or so huh.

Did you add any peroxide or bleach to the water? Think it may be beneficial or negetive impacting?

Reason im all curious is my foaf has a log that looks kinda dry that was just birthed, and it is just starting to pin. Maybe it could benifit from this TP wrapping/wicking action. I was thinking to use a kitty litter tray as a resevoir for the water and elevate the log somehow and wick that way. Whatta ya think?

#68 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

I just used whatever was handy to elevate the sub,, in that case -an inverted cereal bowl..U don't want anything that would cause the excess water to pool below the sub...
I did add about 1:600 bleach to the standing water to keep it from stagnating..
A log shaped substrate would be much easier to cover imo than the dome i did.
Water will only effectively wick so high depending on the thickness of the wick ,so if your log is'nt too fat it should work..So yeah a cat litter tray and an inch of water with the log base just above that height and the paper just extends to the tray bottom...gluk...i'de like to here how that turns out if u do try it...

#69 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

Game on! I hope this didnt take the post too off topic but it seems like it went away from wax paper bricks a while ago ;)

This little loggy is gonna look like that poor ol lady down the streets trees that one halloween...

Think i should use 1 or 2 layers of TP?

#70 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

Use the minimum amount -2 layers of single ply or one layer double ply ..mist the paper after u put in place ,so it forms to the shape of the log...to increase wicking add an extra layer ..u may notice the paper turning yellow in spots ,but its no big...
thanks for trying-never used straw logs myself...take a pic if u can...
As for the Hyjacked thread, I apologize, but we did determine that Wax paper is at least good for the early spawn running stage as a semi-breathable membrane...

#71 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

here she is!

Attached Thumbnails

• blubber 001.jpg

#72 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

very nice...the myc will slowly grow into the paper and feed on the moisture..The pins should be able to burst through on their own except for that one already showing ,might want to make a little hole for him...gluk...

#73 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

Just a quick summary..
Wicking Sub produced 312 grams wet in 18 days
Dunked Sub in grocery bag 229 grams in 20 days
Traditional casing in chamber 201 grams in 23 days.
The regular casing was never dunked ,just misted...The dunked sub had one 12 hr and daily quick dunks when knotting was first observed -but could never regain its original water weight...Subs are starting second flush cycle..

#74 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

great stuff Golly :)
over 1/3 more weight from the wicking substrait then the traditional casing
this could be a killer discovery
open air fruiting of bulk substrait
combine that with a bleach dunk
and this could be huge
no complex fruiting chambers
no misting
no fanning
a true bulk neglect with great results
i'll be keeping a close eye on this thread :)
and sandman i can't wait to see how the log goes
i have become a big fan of straw over the last few months
and if this method could eliminate fanning... well shit
keep up the good work guys
LOST :)

#75 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

any updates sandman?

#76 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

well, that one shroomy that you saw under the paper in the above pic has gotten much larger and is just about ready to "de-veil". There was only 1 other shroom that grew since birthing the loggy. .. The loner biggy has grown much larger than this strain has previously performed on a log. Hopefully after a dunk this log will pin better...

#77 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Thanx for the nod "Lost". The Pan Cyan Wickin sub is pinning now, but no sighn of pins on its cased counterpart yet..,Pins r also breaking through the toilet paper much easier than with the paper towels as they go into the second flush with the Cubs..
Sandman..if your log was on the dry side when u covered it for wicking,,it may take along time to rehydrate..The main thing that wicking does,is preserve the water already in place...To increase the wicking -add another layer of TP....Gluk..

#78 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:04 PM

Ps..Remember to add a tiny bit o bleach - 1 tsp per gall to the resevoir...

#79 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

hmm I was considering pouring a shit load of water (bleached) over the log repeatedly and then covering with more tp... This log may have other problems that would make it a bad candidate for testing, thats why he didnt hesitate to experiment with the log. No visable contams, the log just took a long time to colonize.

#80 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:20 PM

Well the second flush is near harvest after getting a fresh layer of T Paper.
There are fewer but bigger shrooms this time and they have a much easier time pushing through this paper than with the p towels.
So this thing has just been sitting in the middle of the dining room table for a month now -its kinda nice to just watch em grow in plain sight.
Next test is for a log shaped version, using paper strips instead of completely covering every inch...
Gonna post an outdoor version of a Shiitaki log which just fruited with the wickin tec..

Attached Thumbnails

• a.jpeg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!