• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

hey guys, i remember reading a thread and someone was doing a straw bath in a tub, and had this heater thing in it. it looked like a curling iron or something. and they said it was made for heating water.

im not sure of the thread, or what it is. anyone have any idea? and where to get one would be good info also. thanks

#2 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:00 AM

There is a submersible water heater for heating up liquids(normally to drink or cook food with) but it is generally only used in small containers.
The only water heater tek I have heard of is to increase the temps of your home water heater and use it to pasteurize your straw in the tub.
You have to be careful you don't get scalded with the water out of the tap otherwise though.

#3 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

BTW any store in the travel section or small appliances section should have them.
Along with the travel coffee cup heaters and coffee cup warmers.

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

actually i think i know the thread.... its the one where he cut 2 holes in a glavenized trashcan and put a electric hot water heater element in each hole and caulked it up and wired it to a plug. I remember a electric technician saying the job was very sketchy and dangerous to operate! I just wrapped a trashcan in that alluminam bublewrap heat shield stuff and turn my hot water heater up full blast and add a pot of boiling water and it works slick. Water is still hot as hell in the morning (I let it soak overnight...no real set time) and just dump it out and drain with a peice of window screen tied over the mouth of the can with the can tilted a little as to drain for like 4 or 5 hours and presto!

#5 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

Im not sure if this helps or not, but I know that there are submersable heaters that are intended to keep water from freezing for cattle and whatnot in large containters. It was determined that with a small adjustment to the element, this heater was capable of sustaining 165-170 for any period of time in a container say 35 gallons in size. I have not seen a thread pertaining to this, but I am working on an easy way to mod the heaters for this application, a small tutorial will follow at another time. Attached is a photo of a simmilar unit.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15N.jpg

#6 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

I hate to double post and all, but also check out this bucket heater! It says it is designed to get and keep 180 submerged.

http://www.vittetoei...showheaters.htm
(bout half way down the page)

Interesting...

#7 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:56 AM

heres a pic of my foafs pastuerizer.

Attached Thumbnails

• past.jpg

#8 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:24 AM

I've not done it but read posts where people have used one of those stand alone roasters you can by at Wally world for around $30. They are only 18 quart though... but you can use it for your culinary pursuits as well!

Attached Thumbnails

• roaster.jpg

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

thx for all the replies
i think it may be something like a bucket heater. or maybe he mentioned a cattle thing.
i know it wasnt what sandman was talking about, i dont recall reading that thread.
it was in a thread and someone saw it sticking out of his straw bath and then asked what it was.

i wonder if you can get bucket heaters locally.

#10 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

lol glad to be of help!

#11 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

its appreciated. so far my friend has used the bleach/lime straw pasturization method with ZERO (knocks on wood for her) contams. but i figure if there is a heater thing that can be put in the tub too, why not, ill tell her to buy it.

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

My next project is going to be a large tub with the guts of an old hot water heater. Possibly an old large washing machine in good working order with the guts of an old hot water heater. LOL!

#13 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

neither she nor i know anything about electronics or plumbing or heating. so she isnt going to do any wire splicing or adjustments to any electronics. but if there is a product out that is made to heat a good amount of water to 160+ degrees she has no problem scooping one up.

good luck with the gut of a heater idea. be safe

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

There are covers on your hot water heater that have 2 screws in them. Smaller heaters may have one, but most now have 2. Behind them are temp controls for the elements. Adjust to the temp of choice with a flat head screw driver. Turn the breaker off for the hot water heater if not experienced in electriconics.

#15 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

Google "drum heater". They're a bit pricey, but can safely bring 55 Gallons of water to pasteurization temperature and maintain the temperature for as long as needed... Safely and in the comfort of your own home.
They use these things to keep water from freezing and all sorts of other shit.
I dream of owning a drum heater of my own someday... Maybe even a 55 Gallon drum to go with it.
Never to use my propane burner again unless I'm brewing beer :))

#16 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

I use a similar device to the one Laughing Dog posted.
It is large enough to handle a 1/2 a pillowcase full of straw.
Used with a cheap candy thermometer and a spoonful of lime, it is a very effective tool.

Attached Thumbnails

• straw pasturizer.jpg

#17 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

can a drum heater be used with a plastic tub, dont want to melt the tub with the heater thing.

#18 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ssPageName=WDVW

here is one i found on ebay, do you just toss the whole thing into the tub? or wrap it around the drum?

#19 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

The heater wraps around the drum. It heats from all sides. Plastic barrels and plastic barrel heaters are available and can achieve pasteurization.
After researching these heaters rather extensively on the net and visiting a drum distributor I would have to recommend metal for pasteurization purposes.
I would also recommend going with a 55 Gallon metal setup. After looking at various sizes of drums at the distributor I came to this conclusion. 32Gal, 55Gal, they're all pretty freakin big. 55 doesn't take up all that much more space, is the most common drum size (easier to find heaters and parts), and can pasteurize a shitload of anything with zero hassle.
If you decide to go this route, you can purchase a "bottom bunk" barrel. "Bunk" is apparently the drum industry's term for a hole with a screw-in plug. You supposedly need a "bunk wrench" to unscrew the plug. Vise Grips work just fine.
You can get all sorts of things to screw into the bunk... Water spigots with on/off, etc. That's the first time I ever typed the word "spigot". Doesn't look right, but I'm almost certain on the spelling.
I'm rambling. That must mean I'm done.

Peace

Good Luck!

Here's a link http://www.bascousa....EPARTMENT_ID=42

That's a pretty good site to gather information.

#20 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

The device you purchase or are about to has an 800 # on it, call for specific applications FROM A PAYPHONE! And please use a gfi outlet, water + 110 v = human christmas tree all too often. Silicone, high temp type, is suitable for your application, and I would feel comfortable doing it because I know what I'm doing. If someone does not know what they are doing they generally know it, or find out the hard way...There are also teflon or plastic bushings for sealing purposes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!