damn they are pricey

#22 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:15 PM

thx for the help
shes not buying the one that was linked, just an example. didnt know if they were waterproof. she cant use a metal drum, she only has room for a tub.
so i guess she will have to stick to the bleach water tek until she can find a device that is reasonably priced that will work in a plastic tub.

thanks for the help though

#23 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

The Hippie hooked me up with this link http://mycotopia.net...s/5/109874.html It's more than just a composter. Seems closer to your requirements. The hardest part is drinking a 4 Liter jug of wine to get the necessary gallon or larger glass bottle.
They're less expensive when filled with cheap wine than they are empty.
I later realized that I didn't even need the extra jug of water that is required for composting.
Composting takes a few days.
Straw takes a few hours.

You can presoak in a hydrated lime bath and put the wet straw in this thing.

#24 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

thx for the help altered. its a good tek you linked me too, and appreciated. a tad bit more than she really wanted to venture into. but its good to have options. and again, it is appreciated.

#25 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:46 AM

There are covers on your hot water heater that have 2 screws in them. Smaller heaters may have one, but most now have 2. Behind them are temp controls for the elements. Adjust to the temp of choice with a flat head screw driver. Turn the breaker off for the hot water heater if not experienced in electriconics.

FOAF turned his apts. GIANT boiler to "HOT" 170F! no kiddies in thbldg so don't yell. Well one day he comes home and the pressure reliefe valvae had blown 300-ish galloons of smoking hot water all over all of his shit.

nice.

#26 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

HIGH TEK SHIT YOU BOYS HAVE HERE...

Wet Pasuterization (cooler TEK):
1. Get GIANT cooler or more. (MAKE SURE THE DRAIN PLUG IS IN!) i makey hot messy.
2. put dry subs in sacks.
3. Put boiling water and sack in cooler(s).
4. close cooler.
5. wait
6. hang sack to dripp

"Dry" paswtuerization
1. put substratein big pan.
2. cover big pan with foil tightly as possible, no biggie you can add water later.
3. put in oven @ 170.
4. wait

#27 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:09 AM

Yes... No such thing as too many options.
You're welcome.

Peace

#28 mad_messiah

mad_messiah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:50 AM

it's called "treveller's heater" or boiler, look for it in a depot store

best wishes

MM

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0857.jpg

#29 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:57 AM

FOAF turned his apts. GIANT boiler to "HOT" 170F! no kiddies in thbldg so don't yell. Well one day he comes home and the pressure reliefe valvae had blown 300-ish galloons of smoking hot water all over all of his shit.

nice.

Yikes! That's not good. I turned mine up to 165 and the water that's comming out is 158.8. I wonder if I should turn it back down? I'm going to call someone that knows about them before I fuck somethin up.

#30 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:11 AM

mm
a travelers heater? what is it generally used for? and do you know the max temp it provides?

#31 Invader Zim

Invader Zim

Cisco Certified Stoner

• Expired Member
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

ok i found this out in my garage was curious if it could be used to pasturize large amounts of straw? it says 190'F on the front of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• waterheater1.jpg
  • waterheater.jpg

#32 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:39 PM

what the hell is that thing?

pastuerization temperature is 140-160, 190 is too hot but i would test whatever it is with a thermometer and see...just cause it says 190 dont mean anything.

#33 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:57 AM

Those are very popular in Europe. They are as they say: instant hot water. Most (every one I've ever had in my house) are a gas blast furnace, though I hear in the US there are electric models. I advocate these to my American friends (environmentally friendly), but I found out that American natural gas lines are generally not big enough to provide the fuel needed. Something to watch out for.

BTW: that avitar just showed back up, I had nothing to do with it.

#34 Invader Zim

Invader Zim

Cisco Certified Stoner

• Expired Member
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:51 AM

i know what the temp for pasturization is sand but thx :) i didnt word it well enough. see my hot water heater in my house wont get above 148'F so im thinking if i could hook this thing up to a faucet or other water source i could use it to fill a tub with just the right temp water. it has a temp knob on it from low to high. just kinda curious if anyone has seen it used like this before? still trying to figure out which nozzel is in and out heh.

#35 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,856 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:46 AM

Interesting...take some more pics of it in action. Also where did you get this thing?

So let me get this straight...you plug one end to a faucet, and then the water that comes out is hot? So in theory, if your hot water from tap wasnt hot enough (like your spek) then this could give it the extra boost to make pastuerization super easy? Sounds like a winner to me.

#36 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

my buddy has one of those things built into his kitchen sink at home..
just press it down and hot water comes out..
fucked myslef up good one night b/c the thing looks just like one of those built in soap dispensers... lol
was expecting soap and got some 150 water instread... ouch... lol
like touching the stove when i was little.. that is one mistake i will not make again
as far as using it to pasturize stuff i guess it would all depend on how much stuff you were trying to pasturize.. those things only have limited outputs so it would have to be something of the smaller size
but i don't see why it wouldn't work well..
i would just make sure to get my bath to a proper temp.. maybe a little hot before adding the sub.. which will knock it down a few degrees i'm sure..
give her a rip and let us know how it goes.. :)
LOST

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

interesting, i've seen similar but never used one.
heat looks adjustable, nice too.

#38 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:55 PM

one place i worked the boss had installed a Braun instant hot water thing,it worked great for endless supplies of hot water I'm surprised more people don't use them in their houses around here but i have seen them in home depot,seems more economical than heating up a large tank of water continuously. Can you adjust the temp on it? my boss told me they are common in europe

#39 IntheJungle

IntheJungle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

What should someone do if their way of heating isn't working properly? She is using the heat bomb method with a 120 or 150 watt fish tank heater in a Propell Gadorade(sp) blue bottle trying to heat a 55qt tub with only 6 or so 1/2 pt jars (which are crowded around the heater).

She says the heater is cranked up to about 90 F and said the thermom. says 73 F. She needs it up to about 76 F (the lowest) to about 80 F the highest.

:mad: :confused: :(

#40 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:48 PM

73 is perfect IMO. If you want to get it warmer, you may need to up the wattage with a different heater....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!