WBS jars not colonizing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bw86

bw86

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'm having trouble recently with innoced wbs jars not colonizing....at all. I followed Docs WBS tek and I've done wbs before with great success, but the last two times I've tried the jars wont colonize at all; not even a contam. I squirted 2 cc's into each jar. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Pennington wbs brand and the jars have been kept in the dark at a constant ~75F in a tit. The jars are quart sized and I'm using tyvek envelopes over the ring disc with a 1/4" hole. After innoculating, I place a strip of micropore tape over the needle holes. Also I'm flame sterilizing the syringe and then wiping it with rubbing alcohol before each jar.
Could it be the spores? I got them from a friend who said he ordered them online (I don't know the website). They came in vaccutube things which I've never gotten before.; heres a pic of it and how I'm getting the spores into a syringe.:
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1190572610
Also, the syringes came sealed up, I don't have to sterilize them, do I?
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1190572610

Attached Thumbnails

• syringe2.jpg
  • jars3.jpg
  • syringe.jpg
  • jars2.jpg
  • grain.jpg
  • jars.jpg

#2 bluefungis182

bluefungis182

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

dull spores

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

have you opened one of the dud jars yet and inspected/smelled the grain ?

#4 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Sealed syringe is sterile, don't do anything else to it.

My guess on the WBS: too wet. You have to get it really dry, or just use measured amounts of WBS and water. You didn't mention how long it had been- spores can take 4-10 days or more to start showing growth.

Like Hippie said, a little whiff of the jar can tell you a lot about it. Don't sniff- just whiff.

#5 bw86

bw86

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:54 AM

It has been 10 days since I innoced them so thats why I posted & this is the second time this happened. I don't think the wbs is too wet, I opened up some of the jars and they're completely dry and they smell like wbs. What should I be looking/whiffing for? The jars don't need a lot of FAE do they? I have them in a TiT with the lid on the top chamber, so no fresh air is getting in; could that be a problem also?

#6 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

Don't need much air for jars, but you do need some. I use little polyfil puffs in the lids.

If they don't smell sour/fermented, then you are on the right track. Next guess has to be the spores, probably. Or the temps?

#7 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

Don't need much air for jars, but you do need some. I use little polyfil puffs in the lids.

If they don't smell sour/fermented, then you are on the right track. Next guess has to be the spores, probably. Or the temps?

wbs smells fermented after the soak, do they not smell fermented after pc'n?

#8 bw86

bw86

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, I have cut up tyvek envelopes as filters.

The temps are a constant ~75F.

This is really bugging me. I don't want to buy more syringes just so they can go to waste. I hope its not the way I'm preparing the wbs.

This is what I do:
Soak wbs for 12-24 hours (take out all floaters)
Drain & rinse it completely
Simmer it for 15-20 min
Rinse and drain it completely
let it dry for 30-60 minutes
load up the wbs into the jars
pressure cook at 15-16psi for 1 hour

#9 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

Guess it depends on your sense of smell and your methods. I don't soak, so I can't comment on that, but bad grain has a distinctive smell, ime.

@bw86: Guess it's the spores. Maybe try them on some agar or LC to see if they are even viable. Or just get a new syringe- frustration and confusion vs a few dollars is an easy choice.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

spores proly settled out and are stuck to the walls of that test tube.

#11 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Your jars look pretty good to me...Best bet, is to find another spore source imo...
I could send a fresh print if interested...

#12 bw86

bw86

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:47 AM

spores proly settled out and are stuck to the walls of that test tube.

hmm, could this have happened to all 4 spore syringes I tried? B/c I have about 4-5 more vacutubes.

Should I even try them?

#13 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Shake the piss out of them before you try again

Bear

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER