- - - - -

Woodchip Information Thread

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

SuP fellas

I'm using some 100% Hardwood Pellets ment for a pellet burning wood stove. Add water and you get some nicely damp sawdust. I"ve mixed it with verm/coir/poo and some P. weillii. I'll let ya'll know how it does.

#22 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

lol those fuel pellets were a mess.

My favorite brand of woodchips are Luhr Jensen Little Chief.
They're just the best for building spawn.
The chips are tiny, clean and colonize extremely fast.

#23 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

From my experience, Aspen pet bedding didn't colonize very well. Aspen is a hardwood deciduous tree, so it should support woodloving fungi. I just didn't have much luck with it. I prefer beech, hickory and alder.

I tried using that aspen pet bedding for my oyster grow. It all colonized well, but I couldn't get it to fruit. I wouldn't recommend using it. I firmly believe had I used straw I would have had fruits.

#24 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

Waylit,Where do ya get...

"My favorite brand of woodchips are Luhr Jensen Little Chief."

I always use smokesalmon.com stuff.

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

As far as oyster's are concerned, aspen works fine for me. I've never tried to use it for anything besides those though.

#26 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Waylit,Where do ya get Luhr Jensen Little Chief."

LUHR JENSEN & SONS 9780 "LITTLE CHIEF" ALDER WOOD CHIPS 1.75Lb.

#27 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Waylit,

Oh King of woodlovers...

All I can get here for hardwood is the stove pellets. Got any advice for using them? I have syringes of blue oyster and shiitake on the way. Aspen bedding is available too.

A local lumber yard says I can have all the sawdust I want... but I have to call every day to see what they are sawing, and go THAT afternoon...

Some thing like the pellets I can always get. I bow to your wisdom...:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Catdaddy

#28 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

Ok, Waylit, I read back over your woodlovers Tek- again- and it's perfect for the large wooden trays I have to fill with substrate. I'm all for using the right materials, it's just that if I pay freight, I want to buy in bulk large enough to make it worthwhile.

Where did you get the big bags of alder chips? That strikes me as more efficient than paying three times for freight for a 2.99 bag from ACE- no ACE hardware stores around here.

Please forgive my noob questioning. I hope to eventually make a retirement business out of this- I already have lots of shelved space, and the cost of fuel is ruining my bike salvage business.

Thanks again, Jim.

Catdaddy

#29 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

Awesome thread!!:rasta:

#30 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

I mixed the hardwood pellets with water til it was field capacity

mixed with equal parts werm/poo/coir

This stuff is gettin ate up like choclate at fat girls party

the supposedly slow Wiellii Myc is moving rather quickly, my sub is at better than 70% only after 10 days. The top is almost entirely covered and soon will need to be cased with pasterurized cactus soil.

At this point, the fuel pellets seem to be doing a good job 4 me

#31 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

LUHR JENSEN & SONS 9780 "LITTLE CHIEF" ALDER WOOD CHIPS 1.75Lb.

:bow:Thanks!

#32 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hey FP ..Do those pellets dissolve into sawdust when soaked or do they remain intact..?
The ones i have seen locally ,are all made from hardwoods and look to be a perfect medium for W loverzzz...

#33 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

golly,

the pellets I bought turn right into saw dust ( albiet wet ) when you add water.

#34 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

Is wood that is chipped from small branches just as good as the chips you buy? Usually branches of up to 3 inches or more are used to make commercial chips. My chipper can only handle something like 1/2 inch maximum. This means the branches I take are quite young and would have a larger bark content.

Assuming I take the branches late winter (now) before leaves set in, are slender branches going to be okay for chipping into bed material ?

thanks

H

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!