• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos

Chaos

Mocksvillian

• Expired Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

I haven't posted in a long time so here is my "Myco engineered" stir plate .

For the chasse I used my super bad 1980 something compact disk player.

I found a 115 volt fan and hooked it up to a motor speed controller. I then mounted it to the disk tray wich is suspended on rubber vibration isolators.

I could not find a good bar magnet so I used some toy magnets that are pretty strong.

Well they werent strong enough, so I cut a hole in the metal cover and glued a pice of plexiglass in its place.

I wired the original power button in.

The pic of the back shows the knob of the speed controller.:pirate: It is the second screw in the emerson label.

I owe all of this to Mycotopia:bow:
Hippe posted a thread on the subject and I just had to make one!

The last pic is just to show off my new lamp:heart:

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2661.JPG
  • 100_2650.JPG
  • 100_2652.JPG
  • 100_2640.JPG

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

sweet!
:thumbup:

#3 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

A couple of really good threads about homemade magnetic stir plates finally convinced me to make one of my own.

I used two 2qt plastic containers as a project box, with one trimmed down a few inches and inverted inside of the other to make a platform for the PC fan and magnet assembly I use to drive the stir bar. I also wired in a switch, and pot for speed control to finish the it off. Attached is my schematic with parts list and pictures to give you an idea of how everything fits together.

I hot-knifed the openings in the front of the box with my soldering iron and hot glued everything in place after wiring it all up. The jar lid on top of the magnet acts as a flywheel and really helps with vibration. My stir rod is just a 1/2" of paperclip and it works fine.

This was a really simple project and well worth it, so if anyone else wants to try this for themselves I have two sets of fans and magnets to spare. They are the hardest parts to find and everything else can be picked up at RadioShack and Wal-Mart for less than $10, as long as you have an old 12v power supply hanging around to run the whole mess. PM me with a safe address and I'll send them out this week to the first two people I hear from.

Attached Thumbnails

• stirplate.jpg
  • 9-29-07-12.jpg
  • 9-29-07-11.jpg
  • 9-29-07-04.jpg

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

merged since both posted today