34 replies to this topic

#21 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:39 PM

your first and second parts of that question are now in the works as this is the first time I've done this. as for the colonization times.. I think it was a little slower maybe, but took about 10 days.. I wouldn't say it's THAT much slower than breaking up the cakes.. pinning might be quicker.. and it's definitely quicker than setting up a cake bin.. no perlite to deal with.. you do have to pasteurize substrate tho.. but as far as breaking up the cakes goes, I used less substrate total than I think I would have with if I broke them up. theres about 20 lbs divided between the three bins for total bulk substrate.. whereas with three bins using broken cakes I probably would use 10 lbs per bin... So I may get less total fruits in the end, but then again, I didn't spend time chopping up the cakes or pasteurizing 10 extra lbs of substrate. give and take I suppose. I think it's a little safer as you aren't cutting into the healthy myc. I like this too because I get the safety of a bulk sub on the outside (doesn't contam as quickly as a cake) with the center of some high nute sub such as brf. :) heres how they look only two days after the casing was applied...

sub 1... still looking the best.. most even so far.. these larger fruits are just the early birds I'm guessin.. It's been my experience with this strain that it throws a few early ones out... or at least this sub-strain.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1191865567

sub 2...

sub 3... the large fruit in this pic is of the same pin in the pic in last post..

:rasta:

fahtster

Attached Thumbnails

• 3rd.jpg
  • 2nd.jpg
  • 1st.jpg

#22 lovesshrooms

lovesshrooms

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Wow thats starting to come on. Heres to hoping for a sea of shrooms:thumbup:, its going to be imtresting to see how this turns out.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

my thinking is that this is a bit like an iceberg,
much of the substrate is submerged
and can't fruit.
i'd like to suggest a follow-up,
combining this with
the_jesus' wafer cut 'disk' cakes
Posted Image
http://mycotopia.net...-brf-discs.html

#24 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

I agree... I actually thought about doing TJ's disks... cut four disks out of one cake and use about 4 cakes per layer and layer the substrate and disks.. I think it'd work very well.. we'll have to see how this goes.. I was just too lazy.. burrying them sounded easier than slicing each one up. lol but these really aren't burried more than an inch, which isn't that much really.. I think these will still put out a good amount.. we'll see in the next few days eh. :)

fahtster

#25 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

and I totally get what you are saying about the icebergs, but I think this is a little different only in the idea that if you were to consider the cakes the iceberg and the bulk substrate water (?) that would seem more fit, but the cakes (iceberg) take the bulk sub (water) and turns it into more Iceberg (cake) making one bigger flatcake... or do you think that bulk allows less fruits when the fruits are allowed to fruit off a good portion that is Hpoo/straw rather than grains? I hope thats not too confusing lol :)

fahtster

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

the last time i saw this done
the fruits grew mostly off the intact cakes,
in little circles, very clearly the cake itself.
not much off the 'water'

#27 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

ah. i see.

I guess the real intent here is to get more fruit weight with the same amount of cakes... normally these 45 (actually 48 when I do the cake bins) would be made into two bins that on average give off about 5 dry ozs.. (just talking about weight here in terms of getting every thing out of the myc. possible.. other than that weight means nothing to me). So if I get around that amount from each of these three bins, I'll have accomplished my goal since it was a lot less time needed to make these bins than that of just a cake bin. The final weight is going to be the real decider I guess. :thumbup:

fahtster

#28 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

ok.. so it looks like you're probably right hip... (you're probably like "duh, thats why I'm the man" lol) But I guess it's not over yet.. I got really busy these last four days so I just let the bins sit without airing them out... that probably had an effect as well. I'll have to get that mycopore tape so i can neglect my bins a bit more. That tyvek just doesn't cut it for leaving the bins sit.. even with a fan blowing over the tops of them. oh well.. live and learn. I did leave the bins open for about 45 mins to try and give them some extra air... they didn't smell great when I opened them up... I was hoping you would be wrong, hip.. just for the ease of not having to slice and/or dice all those cakes up. I'd stick to just rye but I really don't want to throw out all this brf.... anyway, heres what they look like today:

sub 1..

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1192155792

sub 2...

sub 3... this one is really disappointing.. I think I used too much bulk substrate and just kind of slopped it together.

I'm going to give these subs a dunk and take a little better care of them for round two.. hopefully things improve. :)

fahtster

Attached Thumbnails

• PE3.jpg
  • PE2.jpg
  • PE1.jpg

#29 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

That first tub is wicked :thumbup:

Good shit Faht :bow:

-feds

#30 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

Not bad for a being lazy ;) j/k faht, those look good. I think I might try a tray like this with the discs and worm poo. I'll let you know how it goes. :headbang:

#31 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:41 AM

well... the other bins did perk up a bit and ended up looking pretty close to that first one.. the total of all three bins dry was about 200 gms. definitely less than projected. You would think that by now I would have learned to not count my chickens before they hatch.. it's just so hard to do when you are excited about something.. well, me at least. oh well.. they are being dunked right now. we'll see what second flush has in store. :) just got done ordering mycopore tape, so we'll see if that makes a difference. :thumbup:

fahtster

#32 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

looks like you found the cock fahtster! congrats!

who ever knew a guy finding the cock would be exciting...lol..:headbang:

nice work!

pm me i got my old tex strains going again!

#33 i.p.freely

i.p.freely

Wordsmithartclown

• Validating
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

the evil verticillium has invaded...big ol fuckers tho...nice work:headbang::headbang:

#34 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

yeah, these PE's have a virus or something like vert for sure... can't get away from it... at least the ones that I have. second flush is drying right now actually... probably something alongs the lines of 4.5 - 5 ozs dry for all three bins together. I was thinking that maybe if one did want to do something like this, they may be better off leaving the tops of the cakes exposed. I got about the same as I would with just doing regular cake bins but it was easier to dunk and dispose of the substrates and to make the bins, but they are pretty much done after two flushes... mine anyway. :) no complaints here... just not exactly what I expected, but thats my own fault for expecting anything. :thumbup:

fahtster

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

so it looks like you're probably right hip... (you're probably like "duh, thats why I'm the man" lol)

:teeth:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!