Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Ever have trouble getting holes in your lids?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lit

lit

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

i'm sure this'll make things easier for the people that don't have access to a drill or don't like the mess. A simple hole-punch works suprisingly well for punching a little under 3/8th holes. It might be a little close to the rubber, but it should work. it was a 1/2 pint tapered jar lid, hope this helps someone :D.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0041.JPG

#2 mark

mark

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thats a bigger hole size than I've used before...any problems with the substrate drying out?

#3 lit

lit

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

at the moment i'm having good success with 4 3/8th sized holes in each lid (i used a drill, didn't think about this then :P) with LGBR and 2 tyvek layers. jars are about 65% colonized, and they don't seem to be drying out, but there's a large verm barrier, leveled off to the top of the jar. although they're only 1/2 pints.. bigger jars might cause problems, but as of now it's working well :]

#4 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

is it easy to punch them? or does it hurt your hand, that type of thing.. /me just realized he may have made himself sound like a wuss. LOL but you know... I think it's a great idea and if it works, why not? You can also get smaller sized hole punches yo.. McGill 401CR: Gem Light-Duty One-Hole Punch | OfficeWorld.com theres an 1/8" punch. :)

fahtster

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Damn, man, that's neato. Who woulda thunk it?

#6 lit

lit

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

haha nope, didn't hurt my hands at all, way easier than holding the lid in place and drilling through.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

i just use an icepick
Posted Image
a buck at grocery store
tap in with hand

Attached Thumbnails

• icepick.jpg

#8 SWIM

SWIM

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

When I'm doing a tek with a verm barrier, I don't use any lid but aluminum foil. Two layers of the heavy duty broiler grade, held down by the standard canning jar ring. I can punch right thu it with the needle of the spore applicator, and unlike some of our early attempts with the PFtek, I never had any leakage during sterilization.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

how high can you stack foil lidded jars ?

#10 ursamajor

ursamajor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

SWIM had some funny problems with this. First he used drywall nails, which you may know have little ridges to help them stick - of course these ridges stuck in the first hole, so SWIM had to use pliers to yank it back out.

Then picture hanging nails were used.

Imagine SWIM's annoyance to discover, after prepping the jars and PCing them, that the syringe didn't fit into the little holes. The innoculation operation then consisted of repeatedly sterilizing a bigger nail, using it to expand the holes, then innoculating. SWIM was pleased that contamination didn't happen (and that the bigger nail, hammer, and pliers for this operation happened to be near where he was working).

#11 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

how high can you stack foil lidded jars ?

That is definitely the killer of the foil idea for most people. Good point.

#12 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

With the foil lid held down by the ring, wouldn't the load of stacked jars be taken by the ring and not the foil? That's th way I visualize it, anyway.

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

nope, jar bottom's slightly smaller on wide-mouth half-pints

#14 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

we tape a 12 pack of lids together than take a drill bit big lil bigger than the needle and than drill them bitches deep. :amazed:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!