• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 darknezz7

darknezz7

Mycoentrepreneur

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:08 AM

My wbs jars are colinizing fine, so far, but they look very dry. I blame this on my heating method up til I built my heatbomb incubator, I had the jars in a tub in front of a heater in an 85 degree room.

So will they still colonize with little moisture, then I can dunk them, or are they gonna stall on me? Will now having them in a proper incubater make them moister?
I'll get a pic tomorrow, to tired tonight.

#2 goldenteacher1163

goldenteacher1163

myco guru

• Free Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

some pics will help
unless you are using wide mouth jars with a full filter disk or the jar lids were very loose allowing lots of moisture to wick, IMO they should be ok if still growing well.
If the moisture level is low most of the time the
new growth will start looking kinda wispy and not so dense.
Sometimes giving grain jars a good shake can help mix up the dry seed with the wet and help it along some.

#3 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

dont rehydrate wbs jars..
once your growth reaches 30%, shake once to distribute the myc all around the jar..
then wait til it fully colonizes..

too much shaking (more than 2 or 3 times) causes myc to stall and stop growing..
no need to rehydrate.. better dry than wet
and you'll be bringing in contams..

#4 darknezz7

darknezz7

Mycoentrepreneur

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

well this morning, before I read this, I shook them, alot. I had to break up the chunks, so I hope I did'nt just ruin all of em. Heres a pics.

#5 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

Shaking is overrated IMHO...I've had stalls too many times to justify the few days quicker they will colonize (even with 1 shaking occasionally). I find it's better to just make the spawn a bit dryer than normal and pump a crapload of LC in there and shake that, then let them be.

#6 darknezz7

darknezz7

Mycoentrepreneur

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:07 AM

i wish i had lc but every time after weeks i just get some blobs of whitish/grayish crap

#7 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:38 AM

i would recommend only shaking :
- after inoculation and
- when it reaches 30%

those look ok dark :)

#8 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:17 AM

not tryin to steal the thread but im pretty sure thats a lc your working with bro i got the same thing in my jar, but maybe im wrong only 1 way to find out knock a few jars up.

i wish i had lc but every time after weeks i just get some blobs of whitish/grayish crap

did you put marbles or broken glass n the jar if so shake it.

#9 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

i would recommend only shaking :
- after inoculation and
- when it reaches 30%

Agreed. :thumbup:

#10 darknezz7

darknezz7

Mycoentrepreneur

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

^^

its been like 17 days for my lc and the blobs are very small just around the spore clumps. Thats what I allways get. I say a lc tek I wanted to use but now I cant find it. It was something like "dank karo dextrose potato water lc" I'm gonna make up some new ones this weekend.

oh and that is the only time I shake, I just had to shake it alot to break up the chunks.

#11 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

It's possible that the LC is too nutrient rich if you're only getting small little clumps. I don't bother with potato water anymore...karo and/or dextrose work just fine. But if you do use potato water, make sure to dilute it, a lot. You just want the mycelia to have enough nutrients to live, nothing more. That way they are thin spindly fibers, which fills up the LC faster, and also are easier to suck up.

Another thing you can try to eliminate the small blobs is using more spores to innoc. Case in point: I was making some LC's of pan goliath a few months back, and they kept giving me blobs. On a following attempt, I forgot to release the vacuum of the LC (airport jar) before I stuck the spore syringe in, and as soon as I pushed it took off on me. Grabbed like almost 6cc's before I realized what the hell was happening. But the culture is definitely not thin :) That's another good idea if you aren't already, use airport jars. And shake them, alot. Helps break up the mycelia, and it oxygenates the liquid as well.

#12 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

i made pdf's outt of both of coastalite teks

Attached Files

#13 darknezz7

darknezz7

Mycoentrepreneur

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

thanks, coulda just sent the link though. I found the dank-ass lc method yesterday however, after i made a new lc...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!