35 replies to this topic

#21 nepenthes_ak

nepenthes_ak

Wanderlust King

• Expired Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

Hippie,

they are tropical species they cant survive in houses lol. Unless they made it into a special kind of GH you have in your house.

#22 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

Do I see a nepenthes in that last picture?

Good eyes :eusa_clap

I was thinking about to start a colony Pachnoda marginata. The toads like the fat maggots.

The food in your link is really cheap, here in germany it is pricy.

#23 nepenthes_ak

nepenthes_ak

Wanderlust King

• Expired Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

:eusa_sile

Forgot you weren't in the States! Try Ebay.uk you might be able to order from their? I'm not sure if Frogs need fat in their diet. Maggots have allot of fat, and meat to them.

#24 sugoimonkey

sugoimonkey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

Those look fucking awesome. I would love to take care of a few myself. I'm enjoying the meditation qualities I find in my Koi, though. =) Sweet deal though.

#25 NEPHROSIS

NEPHROSIS

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

The pic with your cat staring at the frogs made me lol

Your frogs look good :thumbup: ... I would like some of my own one day.

edit - Are you going to milk their venom?

#26 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:17 AM

edit - Are you going to milk their venom?

No

#27 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:10 PM

The toads do very well here. They eat like hell and are really interesting to observe them.

I try to get a cam the next time then i post some videos.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3257.jpg
  • DSCN3255.jpg
  • DSCN3254.jpg
  • DSCN3248.jpg
  • DSCN3244.jpg

#28 norcal21

norcal21

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

LOL
that's a no-shit comment if ever i saw one.
i got a 'colony' right here that raised itself...

LMAO...thanks for the laugh hip.

cool toads i also am into retiles and aphibians alike.....havnt had one for quit along time but hope to get another soon.

take care
norcal21

#29 Shrooms&I

Shrooms&I

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

prankster; hello, I am new to this site in terms of using these forums. I am wondering who you obtained the Bufo Alvarius from? I have had the same troubles searching for these amazing amphibians indeed. The same I believe is here for Canada as well. Seems to me that bufo alvarius is hard to come by. I have searched many places in person and continue to do so, hoping that at least two Bufo Alvarius can be found. I am hoping to obtain male and female; I live in Vancouver British Columbia, Canada. Please let me know of the source to where you have ordered them from. They look very healthy and well adjusted into their new home.

I am receiving some great input in the "market place" side of this forum. But have yet to determine a trusted found source where I can obtain the ones i am looking for. Otherwise food sources, and vivarium (terrarium) glass tanks can be found along with bedding "substrate" and such. Can be easily found here just the toads are a real challenge.

How long did you have to wait for shipping?

==================================================

#30 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

I get my toads from an US reptile vendor. He bring them to a reptile contest here in germany to me. The vendor isnt a sponsor here so i dont link him. But BBB sell them also.

Self importing is difficult. First the minimum order to europe is 1000$ + shipping. The the toads come to a national airport where you have to keep up the toads. The cops can make troubles. So im very thankful that the vendor bring them to the show.

Canada isnt so far away from US then germany so i think it is much easier to get them there.

How long did you have to wait for shipping?

8 Months :mistrust: till he come to the reptile show.

Only the smallest toad make troubles after a few weeks. He dont eat for a time so we gave him Bioserin. Now he is ok and healty but much smaller then the other ones.

Here are some new pics there you can see the size different between the small toad and an other. 1 toad is also always angry when you open the cage (in the night not then he hunts), he blow up very much.

Bevore i forget it, im unsure weather anybody can say to you what is a male and a female. I think you can only see it when the breed.

I read that males "bark" when you hold them. 2 Toads of me do this the other ones not. I see also that one toad try many times to grab an other one in the typical toad fucking style.

I keep them at the moment very dry but when the summer begins i try to breed them. But first i have to ask weather some zoos want small toads.

</IMG>

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3358.jpg
  • DSCN3357.jpg
  • DSCN3354.jpg

#31 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

Articles I have read also say that the females blow up more so than males.

#32 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

Oh thats interesting.

#33 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Those are so lovely.:bow:

#34 Shrooms&I

Shrooms&I

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hi Prankster: Thanks for the information, was the personal transport difficult regards customs in your country Germany upon arrival depending on current laws that are in effect? I guess when it comes to certain live animals that is often the case. Always good to be aware here regards customs or other agencies what they are looking out for. I am continuing to do the research as much as I can. A friend of a friend is a herpetologist in California who I know of. But like with other animals or hard to find items in life. I have found its all in the planning / timing / and sourcing out the proper and reliable information may they be a vendor or person. I am glad the toads are doing well:). Again thanks.

PS: I take it Bioserin is a type of multivitamin for herps/frogs/toads? I have some two very beautiful green and black dendrobates auratus bread locally but their wild habitat would be in Panama. Also called dendrobates auratus "Panamanians". I feed them occasionally a calcium-Vitamin D based supliment along with Fruit flies being their main course hence their small size.

They seem very healthy...

#35 TopZigZag

TopZigZag

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:00 AM

Man, your toads are so cute. im really jelous

#36 Guest_Jony 8)_*

Guest_Jony 8)_*

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

one of them looks like Cartman from southpark :)

i realy think you should let them breed ...

try everithing heating mat .... a biger amounth of coir so they can dig themselves into... and a large pool vith waterplants and a waterheater ...

after they lay the gely eggs you must take kare froglings like they were fishes and feed them with alg or salt worm (little crab like animal)

maybe one day i can try to breed them too ...:amazed:

I live in europe :rasta: und ich habe freunde in studtgart ...

Peace man!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!