13 replies to this topic

#1 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:01 AM

I have some questions.
the overlay in the first tub (first 4 pics): is it a sign of a bad substrain to have overlay? The mycelium is from multispore. And although it colonized rye quite quickly it was fluffy growth (more like paneolus mycelium). I spawned it to coir and cow poo. Because of the overlay i scratched the surface and put some turf/verm on it. Now i also fan 2 times a day (because of the heavy condensation and the absence of more ventilation then the two holes in the top of the container). Can i still expect some pins or is this a weak substrain?
The second tub is also multispore, but in this case pf cakes. It surprised me how so little of the cut up pf cakes actually start growth. There is some spots with some nice rhizomophic growth, but the rest seems dormant. Since this tub has a lot more ventilation, less substrate, little condensation, and little growth, i decided to put on a casing of mostly coir. Now i decided to mist it to add some moisture. I feel this tub might have a better future.
The last little tub has some weak growth and overlay, same as the first one. I added some turf and verm as casing and also scratched it. What should i do with it now? throw it out or put it in a fruiting chamber?
How come monotubs i have seen on this site don't overlay?

#2 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:14 AM

hmm when i try to add pictures i get a message that i am refering to an invalid post. When i try to edit the first post and add pics i get a message i dont have the privileges...

#3 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:56 AM

with less attachments it works. Allthough none where above 700 kb so it shouldn't matter. oh well

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2762.JPG
  • DSCN2761.JPG
  • DSCN2756.JPG
  • DSCN2758.JPG
  • DSCN2750.JPG
  • DSCN2754.JPG
  • DSCN2748.JPG

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:31 AM

Those are tough to assess. I'm not sure I'm even looking at mycelium in the first tub. How do the tubs smell? Are they unusually hot ? (I mean the substrates- do the bins feel a lot hotter than the room air?)

Assuming it is just a bad case of overlay, they may be suffering from too much attention. It's a common problem; growers tweak something in the grow, see some changes but not quite the desired changes, then do something else, etc., and the substrate never gets a chance to switch gears and fruit. If left alone, most casings (including multispore) will colonize the surface and begin pinning in due course unless some parameter is way off (too wet, too dry, stagnant air, too hot, contaminated culture, etc).

If it's not contamination, I'd try scratching the first tub's casing. Just a roughing-up with a clean fork is plenty (making sure to not scrape down to the substrate- just scratch the casing).

Another thing I'm growing very fond of is clipping a window screen over the top of a bin and covering the screen with a wet towel (leaving some screen around the edges exposed for greater air exchange). No fanning is needed this way, and humidity is maintained as long as the towel is wet. This is the simplest way I've yet found for giving cased trays enough fresh air (which is key) without a complicated automated setup. Casings don't need 95-100% rH, in fact that level encourages contamination, so I'd worry more about fresh air than humidity in a monotub.

One more thing: The working surface of your laminar flow bench should not be made of exposed wood. It should be something non-porous, like plastic or metal. If you have to use wood, coat it with several layers of polyurethane (like 4 or 5). Alcohol or lysol aren't going to clean bare wood sufficiently for tissue culture work.

Good luck, and post some updates when you can (I'm curious to know how they turn out)...

#5 Seee

Seee

Corn Commander

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

that really looks like some sort of contamination...

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

maybe not.
just matted from condensation.
need to stop that ASAP,
after misting w/ peroxide just in case.

#7 Seee

Seee

Corn Commander

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

Yeah i agree hip, cause there are no black pinheads

#8 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Thank's for the feedback. The surface in the first pic is before casing.
Here (first pic) is another pic of the same overlay without flash.
Hip: do i mist with straight 3%peroxide or with some dilution of this? And if i get it right, the most important thing for the first tub is to reduce the moisture and stale air in the tub by fanning?
Some pics of the casing 3 days after applying.Some white stuff is coming through.
Some pics of the coir casing of the second tub. No mycelium has penetrated this casing yet. Does it seem moist enough? In some tek it said it should be glistening slightly. I don't think it is that moist yet.

#9 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

first is tub one three days ago. second third fourth is three days after casing tub one. the last one is the coir casing of the second tub.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2780.JPG
  • DSCN2787.JPG
  • DSCN2785.JPG
  • DSCN2786.JPG
  • DSCN2751.JPG

#10 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

thats not mycelia! toss it. and don't sniff it either that can be dangerous.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

I'm guessing you're trying to grow cubensis?

If yes, that appears to be another species of mushroom that has taken over the substrate, or was introduced during inoculation of the spawn.

#12 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:00 AM

Ok thank you for clearing that up.
It doesn't smell weird, but i will toss it out.
Any idea what kind of contam this would be? A fungus or bacteria?

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

Looks a bit like cobweb, but that usually adds an interesting, distinct, and unpleasant "bouquet" to the room it's in. :drk:

If you toss it (and I'm just not sure enough, though the second pic looks very cobwebby) I'd suggest putting it out under a bush and watering it with the hose if your area is too dry for mushrooms. A hard rain might do it really good, and give you a nice flush. Cover it with a little straw to protect it from drying out, but not so much that it encourages the possible cobweb to keep growing.

Good luck and keep at it!

BTW: Don't spray the full 3% peroxide on it. I'd cut it to about 1% when spraying a probable contaminant, which is still pretty strong if the peroxide is fresh.

#14 smartshop

smartshop

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Well although it didn't smell at first. It did smell a sweet smell when i cut it up an dumped it in a trash bag.
Looking at Stamets's book i think you guy's are right and it is cobweb. It probably started with the first tub being so moist and having little ventilation.
The second tub is now also showing a bit of the cobweb. Dammn:mad:. So now i sprayed it with 1:100 dilution of bleach. But reading stamets i should have used salt, baking soda or something caustic. I will see what i can find in the archives.

Some smaller containers also had the cobweb. I threw them out. Too bad.

Just two more pics of what it looked like before i threw it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2826.JPG
  • DSCN2823.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!