• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phlogiston

phlogiston

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

Here''s something that some of you might find usefui.
Untill a few weeks ago, I was not aware that Wally World carried worm castings. I live in a "major metropolitan area" and none of the stores in the immediate area stock it. I was in a neighboring state a few weeks ago, in a more "rural" area, & stopped in a new SuperCenter. I happened to see a few yellow & black bags in the garden section that said "Worm Castings". Even better was the price, 10# for $3.95. This is way cheaper than any of the hydro stores where i live. So I bought a couple of bags.
I've been looking around since, in the geographical area where I live. It seems that the SuperCenters stock it, as do some of the other stores in rural areas. This is especially likely if there is an agricultural college in town. However, if none of the stores in your area stock it, all is not lost . . . more on that later.
Recently, I was in a town that has a good Ag college. I happened to stop in the Wally World there. Not only did they have several bags, but the price sticker on the shelf was RED. The castings were 10# for $2 !!! I guess that this is one of those "end of season" deals. Needless to say I stocked up. If you use castings, or wanted to experiment with them, this may be a good opportunity. They may not be on clearance in your area, but the normal price is about half that of the cheapest price I've been quoted from hydro stores.
If your Wally World does not have them, there IS hope to get them stocked locally. I know this from forums I frequent that deal with another Politically Incorrect subject (Hunting). People have found that, if your local WalMart does not carry a product, and you know that other locations do, you can ask the manager to stock that item. Corporate policy seems to be that the manager should fulfill such requests, if possible. If you are going to do this, It helps to have all the info on the item. It also doesn't hurt if your friends who are also interested make the same request - create your own demand. Anyway. here is the info on the bags of worm castings:
DMF
All Organic Soil Enricher
Earthworm Castings
UPC 84403-00340
DMF Bait Co.
1180 Sylvertis
Waterford MI 48328
Hope this helps. Good luck & good growing !
------------------------------
"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that don't work" -Thomas Edison

#2 Fun-Guy

Fun-Guy

Always room for shrooms

• Expired Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for tip i will def check it out

#3 Seee

Seee

Ghost

• Free Member
  • 565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

WHOAA!! no way?!
Have you used any yet?
how does it hold up???

#4 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

:thumbup:

Thanks for this post :)

#5 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

Found that same stuff at wallys a few yrs ago, aint seen it again since. I'm in a rural area with 3 supercenters in 45 mi radius, but have only checked the one i found it in.

Great find though! :eusa_clap Maybe I'll take another look.

Fortunately for me, I live near a large worm farm, and I've been able to get truckloads for free. hehe

peace, Foster

#6 stonie

stonie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

ya i've been hunting for casting as well, found alot of other supercake ingredents at a local kroger yet it was in a isle i havn't ever seen in a kroger before so i think i lucked out there lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!