6 replies to this topic

#1 insomni40

insomni40

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:56 AM

Hello everyone,
It all started on a trip to Amsterdam back in July of 2007.. I was cruising by the flower markets and I happened to see a cool little cactus with something that was about to bud on the top of it.... Upon further inspection I noticed it was a peyote cactus.. The diameter is about two inches... So I purchased it and a few other little plants and managed to take them back with me... Problem is that it didn't come with instructions and I need help so I can care for it properly... I don't know how much to water it, if it's suppose to be in the shade or direct sun, or anything like that..... The flower never bloomed so there is some dry debris on the top.... What am I suppose to do with that? Lastly and most importantly, the cactus looks very dry and ashy "it looks like it has talcom powder over it... and near the dirt the cactus has what appears to be some yellowish stains on it that weren't there before..... I was watering it twice a week for a while and giving it some sun but not direct but it's still ashy so I water it a little more often... I've never owned my own cactus and thought it would be an easy deal since in general cacti love lots of sun, hot weather and minimal water "perfect for the desert I live in." Any and all help is appreciated.... I've been researching the net but all I can find is how to start from seeds and I need care instructions for my cactus.... Thanks in advance....

P.S
I feel embarrassed but I'm running out of options and I don't want the little guy to die.....

Insomni out 1

#2 Kadass

Kadass

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:21 AM

they are pretty easy. use a very well drained soil...i use sand/grit and add slow release fertilizers. Using a black pot or clay pot is good for letting them dry out quicker.

you can put them in direct sun if you do it slowly, mine are all in full sun about 10 hours a day. but some shade is also good....don't want to risk burning them. keep them warm and bright. fell them, if they feel fairly squishy then water. if they are firm, you don't need to water. they should fully dry out between watering.

I prefer to water at night. many cactus that get watered in the full sun will get damaged, or worse, split.

hard to say why the skin changed to a yellowish colour at the base...perhaps its the water. i have seen peyote change to a brownish/yellowish/greenish tint with some kind of wacky water. if you get acid rain it will also do this.

#3 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Free Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

here bro check this out. lots of good info.

http://mycotopia.net...williamsii.html

#4 insomni40

insomni40

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.... As for the water, I only water it with Culligan sodium free purified drinking water... I don't trust the tap water here... But I'm really confused as to how much water I should give it, when I should water it and if I should use a spray bottle? My cactus is about 2 inches in diameter so I guess it's at least a year or two old.... As for the color I'm worried about fungus or root rot.... Would a picture of the lil guy help? I'm going to check the link now...... Thanks again everybody :bow:

#5 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Free Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

:meditate:a picture speaks a 1000 words. also, check the archives for tons of info. theres a section for cactus/succulents that can answer all your questions. :D

#6 rod

rod

Mysophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:48 PM

good score , just make sure you have a good draining soil and pot, a pot with several holes, and a good layer of larger rocks on the bottom is good.
Full sun once established, and watch the water,
better to give a large drink sometimes, than little drinks often.

good luck

#7 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

sounds like you maybe watering a bit too much. they can take a lot if environment is hot and dry, and if it's in a clay pot. a lot less if conditions don't allow it to dry out fast.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!