Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:51 AM
I am just looking for a simple Karo tek....
And also a tech for Lids for my Qt grain and also a resealable lid for my Karo jars.
I am a lil drunk so this will not make much sence so any help is wanted\
Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:00 AM
Mycotopia Web Archive: <b>No PC Honey/Karo Tek</b>
Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:05 AM
Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:17 PM
attached was this note:
1.Drill a hole in the plastic lid. Hole should be small enough for a tight fit so you can barely get the rubber stopper from a vacutainer or other test tube stopper to squeeze in.
2. Use any kind of rubber stopper you can get. Look on ebay for real cheap expired vacutainers. All you need is the stopper.
3. Should have to use pliers to get the stopper in snug.
4. Here is the lid all ready to go. Just a plastic canning jar lid labeled "NOT FOR PROCESSING" on the box, but who cares about that. Available at any grocery store or wally world. I think there may be a source for pp5 deep lugged lids somewhere but i don't know I just use these. Works fine.
5. Gather your Karo light, measuring cup, quart jar, lid, magnetic stir bar, coffee filters and rubber bands.
6. Pour the karo straight from the container into the empty jar.
7. Eyeball the amount of karo. Just cover the bottom.
8. Measure 250 ml of water
9. Pour the water into the jar
10. Plop in your magnetic stir bar. You've got a magnetic stirrer right? Look on ebay. Don't forget the bars! The ability to stir 24/7 will reduce your colonization times.
12. Put the lid on with just enough of a turn to where the lid doesn't fall off if you pick the jar up by the lid. Just barely one turn or so, you want the lid loose so gas can escape.
13. Add 3 coffee filters and secure with rubber band over the loose lid.
14. Put it in the nuker. I have a major big microwave so your times will vary.
15. I like to use full power for the first blast to et it up to boiling for a minute.
16. Which is like 2min30sec for me
17. Then after that hit the microwave to half power for about 3 minutes
18. After its done you must use a pot holder in one hand to hold the jar while you tighten the lid with your other hand through the coffee filter. Then remove from the microwave.
19. Then it should be nice and clear still.
20. Prepare a airport syringe which is just a syringe with polyfil stuffed in it where the plunger was. Wipe alcohol 70% with a cotton swab over the rubber stopper. Prick the airport into place. You will hear an immediate release of pressure if you listen closely. Leave the airport in for it to cool. Then remove.
21. Thats all. After its cool you are ready to roll. Inject spores through the rubber port after wiping with alcohol.
- Doctor D, GLP, MicroMycoMan and 1 other like this
Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:20 PM
Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:48 AM
Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:04 AM
In my own experiments, I've come to like honey over karo and use 2cc of honey to 100ml of water instead of 4, the lower amount of sugar seems to make the mycelium grow a lot faster
Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:10 AM
As far as the ammount of sugars, i just eyeball it. The mycelium isnt too picky.
Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:14 AM
- KennyB likes this
Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:18 PM
Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:55 AM
I like to use 1/2 pt jars (easier to get the myc with the syringe) with 2 holes covered with silicone. Then you can use Hips bubbler airport with it. I've had awesome success with this method.
Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:35 PM
Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:54 PM
Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:23 AM