Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Long term strain/isolate viability/stability?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 vitamin_d_added

vitamin_d_added

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:56 PM

Mushroom cultures will grow old and stop producing good mushrooms when they are held and inoculated over and over on the same substrate. To prevent this from happening, you need only to change the substrate every other time. We do this by bouncing the culture back and forth using PDA and MEA agars. This keeps a good broad based spectrum of digestive enzymes, and keeps it from going weak. slp/fmrc

I have always wanted your opinion on this Steve, uh Mr. Peele; Do you think that substrate rotation is as big a consideration when using multispore innoculations? The infamous "PF" always said that one of his secrets was to NEVER rotate substrates, thus allowing his "strains" to further adjust to the PF method. That Yaj. fellow from a.d.m. always agreed. But the conventional myco-wisdom would sugest we proceed in a maner similar to what you have suggested. I think this is very important. I have yet to talk to ANYONE who has grown using a "closed loop" type of spore supply for long periods (5years+). There are a few anecdotal reports on the internet about potentcy losses with continued growing on BRF, but I put about as much faith in these as I do in the drunken incoherant ramblings of the neighborhood vagrents.
With states adopting antispore laws one after an other, I believe it is only a matter of time before the Federal Government gets involved and we all give this question some serious thinking.

#22 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

Prints, prints, prints, prints, prints.

Do them well and keep them. Hide them from yourself.

PF jars can be used to store strains for up to 8 months in the fridge IME.
Put them in the fridge, wrapped tightly in plastic then foil, right after
full colonization.
If stored properly, the PF cake can be birthed but that often has bad results,
as some areas of the cake have probably died.
It's best to split the cake in half and take a sample from the inner tissue,
and use that to start new jars via mycelia tek.

It's a poor man's tek, and agar is certainly better, but I don't have the room,
gumption, or patience for agar as of yet. Flowhoods aren't really a multi-purpose
item and it they're to be comfortable, they have to be rather large.

:)

#23 vitamin_d_added

vitamin_d_added

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

BUMP

#24 Guest_xxxsevxxx_*

Guest_xxxsevxxx_*

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:51 PM

hippies 100% right takes about a year or 2 for cubbies at least . the cyan’s are awesome in this regard and because of speed to fruiting they take around 6-9 months . i worked with the lgflcys from Brooksville for about a year . cloning only the biggest from each tray for 3 successive times then working with the prints on the 3rd trays first flush .this in theory should help with the senescing that sometimes takes hold after repeated cloning. its doubtful that its needed at that stage of the process. As strain degradation at that early a stage will not be a problem but im superstitious . repeating this process until they took on the uniformity and size i wanted from ms growth . when i seen a 75% rate of uniformity from ms .i called it quits and started printing in bulk for you kind folk here at topia . but when I first worked with them they fruited in clusters with 2 bigguns and a bunch of small ones. i think I enjoy taming wild prints more then anything else In mycology .
later VII

#25 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:03 PM

All mushrooms are variable, like people. Don't be surprised when you see little differences. Spores from the wild can sometimes work fine right from the get go. Our Tapalpa was like that, the wild spores fruited magnificently and all subsequent generations have proven worthy. The Dixieland is also good. On the other hand, the New Orleans Blues, a strain I worked with a couple years ago, never did pan out at all!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!