• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 btb103

btb103

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

New mycotopia member here. This is a thread about my current grow.

I inoculated 8 WBS jars with Golden Teacher and another 8 with PF Albino (bad choice, sort of).

Colonization took a rather long time from multi-spore but I had no contamination in any of my jars.

I spawned all of the jars to 8x8 Glad Ovenware trays. Bulk substrate material is made up of poo/straw/coir. They are cased with a 50/50+ peat/verm mixture with 10% gypsum by volume.

I misted the trays with a low concentrate H2O2 mixture and then incubated them for about a week (I think the H2O2 slowed them down but I was feeling very paranoid).

Things are going very well now. I'm not getting the pinsets/canopies I hoped for but it is multi-spore and my substrate is not very deep.
The Albino strain is a very slow and strange fruiter. Fully matured fruits from this strain have not exceeded 4" for me and the stem bodies are very hollow. Overall, a disappointing strain if you're looking for yield (I didn't do my research). Still, they look neat and bruise blue very heavily.

First flush isn't quite complete but I'm up to ~730 grams wet.

A couple of monsters. Foreground: 49.1, background: 38.1 grams (wet)
Posted Image

My best looking canopy
Posted Image

Shrooms picked, drying on day 1
Posted Image

Shrooms picked, drying on day 3 (today)
Posted Image

Close up of a couple of the albinos (center of frame)
Posted Image

A photo of my fruiting chamber/closet. At the bottom is an ultrasonic humidifier that runs 24 hours. Just above that is a pitcher of water with a fish-tank heater to maintain optimal fruiting temperatures. (74F-78F). An aquarium light is mounted on the door and runs on a timer 12/12.
Posted Image

Thanks for stopping by!

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Nice, clean set up. Looks great

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

Boom boom boom...Nice....:eusa_clap...!

#4 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

nice drying setup.

#5 btb103

btb103

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks everyone!

#6 btb103

btb103

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:11 PM

UPDATE:

I'm up to 1178.7 grams wet - still first flush. Based on what is still maturing now, I predict about 100 more grams before all of my trays are done with first flush. Some of the trays that finished earlier have been dunked and are developing pins now. Hopefully flush 2 will be as bountiful!

Picked a really nice clump today that was 120 grams. Today (the fifth day) has actually been the largest harvest day of any (289 vs 274 on Day 2 - and I'm not done yet!)

Anyhow, here are some photos:

Couple of these goofy little albinos at full maturity - this is about as big as they get
Posted Image

Picked, drying shrooms (day 5)
Posted Image

EDIT: Also, would a mod mind moving this over to the Pics & Logs forum for me, please? I don't really know why I posted this here...

#7 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

Good job! I moved it for ya.

#8 xerimyco

xerimyco

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

I spawned all of the jars to 8x8 Glad Ovenware trays.

Did you pasteurize in the oven? Do you make holes in the lids? If you do oven-pasteurize, do you make your sub extra wet to offset drying?

Bulk substrate material is made up of poo/straw/coir. They are cased with a 50/50+ peat/verm mixture with 10% gypsum by volume. I misted the trays with a low concentrate H2O2 mixture and then incubated them for about a week.

The way you worded this makes it sound like you cased at the same time as you spawned, instead of after substrate colonization. Is this what you did? Or did you colonize the sub, case it, then waited 1 week after casing to fruit?

Looks really good, by the way.

Thanks in advance,
xerimyco

#9 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

are you running your humidifier 24/7? and does it introduce high volumes of air movement?

if so, then i would suggest only running it about 15 minutes every hour or so. you may be having some issues with too much air movement drying out your casing layers if you find that the coir looks a bit light colored.

i found this evident using a similar setup.

and the humidifier doesn't need to be running 24-7. you can get away with a simple 20 minutes of running time for every two hours of timer. this is about 10 minutes of fresh air per hour.

#10 btb103

btb103

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

Did you pasteurize in the oven? Do you make holes in the lids? If you do oven-pasteurize, do you make your sub extra wet to offset drying?

The way you worded this makes it sound like you cased at the same time as you spawned, instead of after substrate colonization. Is this what you did? Or did you colonize the sub, case it, then waited 1 week after casing to fruit?

Looks really good, by the way.

Thanks in advance,
xerimyco

I microwave pasteurized, according to the tek of member "agar" on the shroomery. Also, per his tek, I put 5 1/2" holes in each lid covered with micropore tape. Next time I'd like to use shower caps or something so there isn't as much pressure on the casing/substrate and more air exchange.

After I added the spawn, I incubated the trays 5-7 days before adding the casing. I waited another 3-4 days to fruit from that point. Some of them could have had a little bit longer to incubate after the casing was added. All in all, I think the substrate/casings are technically pretty good.

are you running your humidifier 24/7? and does it introduce high volumes of air movement?

if so, then i would suggest only running it about 15 minutes every hour or so. you may be having some issues with too much air movement drying out your casing layers if you find that the coir looks a bit light colored.

i found this evident using a similar setup.

and the humidifier doesn't need to be running 24-7. you can get away with a simple 20 minutes of running time for every two hours of timer. this is about 10 minutes of fresh air per hour.

The fan is really slow but I think you are right about running it less. I don't know where to get a timer that would work on that kind of schedule, though. Could you point me in the right direction?

#11 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

home depot has digital timers that run about 20$. you can set a weekly program or set it for every day of the week. this has capacity to do timer setting several times a day. its quite nice.

#12 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

brand name intermatic.

Intermatic Timers - Consumer Indoor Timers - Digital Timers

this one is the one i have

Intermatic Timers - Consumer Indoor Timers - Digital Timers - DT17C

14 on and off programs per day. should be plenty. essentially you only need 12 per day. had an old setup like yours and ran it for 20 minutes every two hours. 10 mins per hour.

#13 i.p.freely

i.p.freely

Wordsmithartclown

• Validating
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

could u elaborate further on this microwave pasturization tek please. this is something i have a great interest in..since i don't as of yet have a pc...also that terrarium looks nice. i worry about using one though; because it would seem to me that u would run the risk of contaming everything everytime it's opened up. how do u minimize these risks with a set-up as nice as that?

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

BTB

Please upload your pics to here. The management wants it like that. No outside linking to pics.

Nice pics BTW

Thanks

H

#15 btb103

btb103

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Sorry about the pictures. I don't see any way to edit my post at this point?

#16 orchid

orchid

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

thats such a nice job. gts are lookin great!

#17 Joe Balls

Joe Balls

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

If you like the digital timers... I think that a cycle timer like this will make you much, much happier... No programming...

Art-2 and Art-3 Recycle Timer

far more constant hum. and temps. than the ups and downs of 20 min/hr cycles...

#18 btb103

btb103

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:08 AM

Final dry weight for first flush: 151.2g = 5.4 oz! Woo! Dried to more than 10% (or my wet measurements were off). Anyhow, I'm super pumped. The albinos turned out to be more fruitful than I expected, coming in at 41g. These will be preserved for my personal tripping stash. :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!