• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

From off the news wire:

Mushroom pickers hoping for continued mild weather as season starts early
09-07-2004] By Ian Willoughby

After a few hot summers in the Czech Republic, most people are wondering if we will see a sustained period of hot weather at all this year. But one section of the population - houbari, or mushroom pickers - are hoping for more mild, wet weather, and a much better crop than last year.

The Czechs are said to be the most enthusiastic mushroom pickers in the world, and most people could immediately identify many different types of mushroom, having learned about them from a young age. The most 'hardcore' 'houbari' are already combing the country's forests, and report that the number of mushrooms to be found is much higher than usual for the time of year.

The picking season has begun a month earlier than usual, thanks to rain, changeable weather and relatively small differences between night and day temperatures. And some very rare types have been spotted.
But how many mushrooms are to be found depends on where you are in the country. The richest pickings at the moment are in north and west Bohemia, and in the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands.

But it takes considerably more time to fill your basket if you are scouring the forests of central Bohemia, or the southern Sumava region. One man from Sumava told Czech Television mushrooms were growing there, but "far apart from each other".

Last year's long dry summer led to the worst season in living memory, with reports of some enthusiasts going mushrooming abroad, in places such as France and Croatia. This year, however, Czech mushroomers are hoping - if the weather doesn't change - for a long season and a bountiful crop.
And they may get their wish: weather forecasters do not expect a long dry period this summer. Bad news for the rest of us perhaps, but very welcome news for the Czech Republic's many 'houbari'.

Attached Thumbnails

• houby1x.jpg
  • houbyx.jpg

#2 5thHorsemen

5thHorsemen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Wow that shroom would feed my family for a couple days

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:28 AM

any czechs here ?

#4 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

pindulinka is. I know he has had some real successful hunts lately. Hopefully he'll stop by soon. ;)

#5 little white rabbit

little white rabbit

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

any czechs here ?

i'm from austria and am often in czechia and picking shrooms there has been great every autumn. when i was last up in czechia, just some kilometers above the border and 5 minutes after we came home to him the guy we visited came back from hunting with about 20kg shrooms.
his wife was just angry and said if he comes home onece more this week with so much shrooms she would kick him out ^^
the next day i found about 15kg in a bit more than one hour. it's been just great

#6 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

I am Polish, and Czech Republic is our neighbour. In the middle and eastern Europe there's a great tradition of mushroom hunting, but usually 'mature people' go hunting :]. Younger ppl prefer Ps. Semilanceata hunting, rather than edible mushie-hunting ;].

BTW: Pindulinka is a female-nick (due to the letter -a at the end).

#7 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

I'll be sure to tell him that!

#8 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Now you're just confusing me :D.

We have to wait for Pindulinka to make it clear for us :).

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

We'll ask him when he chzechs in...

#10 pindulinka

pindulinka

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:16 AM

Hey guys... Ive noticed tons of people on the trams with bushels of boletus and chantilly. I even saw a guy with oysters and herricum. Its a real mushroom bonanza out here to be sure. But its the cleaning of mushrooms that bumds me out more, Ive been doing it my whole life so a boletus that size just makes me sigh, chop chop chop, trim trim trim LOL. Ill even post what this summer did with my outdoor garden of mary jane... really stunning. (sorry for the thread hijack)

The arcanas could start popping anytime soon I think with the period of low weather that weve had.. Ill do a photoshoot on that for you guys to see. I think theres something on here from last year??
http://mycotopia.net...3-p-arcana.html
and check this post out, I can try to send out some colonized sticks like this one http://mycotopia.net...html#post399926 out to europeans if youd like.
Pindulinka is indeed in the feminine tense due to the suffix "ka" at the end, the suffix also denotes a small thing, polish is quite similar to czech as are all slavic languages. I can even understand croatian pretty well because of this.
Its the word my daughter used to describe her "wee-wee" when she was a baby.:eusa_sile I am otherwise her loving father :loveeyes:
:eusa_clap Koldj, youre the first to ever notice it.... seriously, Ive been using it about three years so far on line.
pin

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0659.jpg
  • IMGP0661.jpg
  • IMGP0662.jpg
  • IMGP0663.jpg
  • IMGP0667.jpg
  • IMGP0666.jpg
  • IMGP0672.jpg
  • IMGP0671.jpg
  • IMGP0675.jpg
  • IMGP0678.jpg
  • IMGP0682.jpg

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

plz upload pix here directly instead of IMG linking to photobucket.
nice plants!

#12 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,644 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

Psilocybe arcana by my friend and colleague Jan Borovicka.

psilocybearcana1

mjshroomer

good luck on shroom hunt when.

#13 pindulinka

pindulinka

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

No, to jsou oni!! (those are they!!) I actually used that photo to find them believe it or not. Im just a canadian living here that heard about them so I went looking. Let me virtually shake your hand and send my regards to Honza (jan):bow:.
What a great site this is!
So sorry about that one Hip, its happened before and Im a dumb pothead. Sorry again. The plants are crazy nice bro. Ive got a matanuska TF x BOG x Tom hill in there and a ton of Esben stuff from Denmark. I can hardly move my hands from clipping.
Pin.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

some awesome christmas-tree colas,
nothing beats outdoors in full sunshine
:bow:

#15 pindulinka

pindulinka

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:59 AM

So heres what Ive found in the last couple of days, heres a couple of shots of the arcana habitat and the forest floor. Its been raining the last couple of days so the caps are browned from either the moisture or the impact of raindrops.
Now if anyone could give me some advice on a simple way to print these caps I can make them available for yall here. What about serility.. do I need a flow hood to print?
P.
Hip, I have a ton of photos from the forest Im sure youd love but it doesnt let me post more than 4? any way to fix that? Im a really photographic guy lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0731.JPG
  • IMGP0730.JPG
  • IMGP0728.JPG
  • IMGP0727.JPG

#16 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

are those magic mushrooms in any of those pictures? or what kind?? Nice fucking plants too..

#17 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Hey Pin nice pictures. i nominated the one on the right end for picture of the month
As for the printing part you could check out
Mycotopia Web Archive: Spores, Prints & Syringes
But i would have to say no you dont need a flow hood

#18 pindulinka

pindulinka

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

Ok heres some more, these are a bit more recognizeable.
P.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0797.JPG
  • IMGP0720.JPG
  • IMGP0723.JPG
  • IMGP0714.JPG

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

to post more than 4 pics
don't use the paperclip icon
instead scroll down page a bit
see box labelled
manage attachments-
use that and your can upload as many as you want.

#20 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

Well, they may be not the most handsome psilocybe, but I love seeing them grow in this dense layer of leaves. They look so innocent :D.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!