• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

This mushroom was collected in Georgia on sandy soils in October 2001 by Shroomery member Lizard King. I haven't heard of any new collections since then and Lizard King himself has since has gone dark. I've tried to key it out but it doesn't match any of the mushrooms I have descriptions for. It is in the Section Mexicanae but the spores are large and the cheliocystidia are irregularly branched.

There are few newly described species it might be but I need to get the taxonomic papers.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lizard King Unknown.jpg

#2 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

Very cool find. I'm really quite blown away by all the new active species turning up of late. Lets hope it keeps up which I'm sure it will. :headbang:
Great lookin shrooms. :loveeyes:

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

Do you know the region of GA it was collected in? Deep South? Does it produce sclerotia?

#4 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

I am not certain of the details, but there are many collection posts by Lizard King at the Shroomery to glean information. I am pretty sure the range overlaps that of Psilocybe weilii since there were mixed collections posted. It is currently unknown if it produces sclerotia but I am going to try and find out. I can only hope that my 6 year old spores are still viable.

#5 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

atlantis would make sense without looking at the spores.

#6 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

Dammit! I just found my misplaced copy of Mycotaxon 86 which has the description for Psilocybe atlantis. That is exactly what this is. Now I am wondering if what I have been growing as Psilocybe atlantis is actually that species. Guzman seemed to think it was something else when I sent him some early cultivated specimens. And now, foolishly I haven't saved any cultivated specimens to check. But I do have spores, so I can at least compare the spores. Crap, I hate posting mistakes. I shouldn't have been so eager to post the microscopy without complete research.

Attached Thumbnails

• P_atlantis180.jpg
  • P_atlantis181.jpg
  • atlantis1.jpg

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

posting mistakes proves your honest.
respect.
:bow:

#8 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

Knowing you, you will have it all figured out very soon and the results posted :bow::bow::bow:

#9 prankster239

prankster239

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:05 AM

:headbang:

They really look like mexicana.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!