• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 02:07 PM

Mojo is huge! Very cool looking. Exactly how do you milk a toad? Always wondered that.

#42 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:09 AM

if you click the link i provided
and read the material
it shows you how, with pix

#43 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

Thnx. No short stool needed.

#44 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image

#45 Guest_dearmrfantasy_*

Guest_dearmrfantasy_*

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

i've recently become intrested in the bufo alvarius toad also know as the sonoria desert toad, colorado river toad and other names also. so i was wondering what type of price range they run. and how many people breed these wonderful toads. thanx

#46 Guest_suckerfree_*

Guest_suckerfree_*

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:22 PM

Bouncing Bear (a sponsor here)... is selling them now I believe...

#47 Guest_polly_*

Guest_polly_*

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:58 PM

they don't breed in captivity and have to be injected with a special hormone to be fertile if i remember correctly.

sorry,
there is a reason they are 300.00 a piece.

#48 Guest_2cedmind_*

Guest_2cedmind_*

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

Bouncing bear has them for $150 for one or $250 for a male and female. I've found a reptile/amphibian breeder down in Florida that had some but he won't be getting anymore until the spring. Yeah, they have to be injected with a hormone...and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

#49 Guest_2cedmind_*

Guest_2cedmind_*

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:19 PM

Traffic is the shit dearmrfantasy

#50 Guest_dearmrfantasy_*

Guest_dearmrfantasy_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:45 PM

thanx for everything guys

#51 Guest_towelie_*

Guest_towelie_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:26 PM

lets just say I will be on the hunt for these little guys next spring.

I got a buddy a few hour drive away from me that every spring these little guys pop up and breed in his pond.

anyone wanna come :P

#52 Guest_2cedmind_*

Guest_2cedmind_*

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:48 AM

I wish they lived around me...I'd have a zoo.

#53 lucysmiling

lucysmiling

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:42 PM

I have a couple. There very nice and i named them tweedle dee and tweddle dum. They just sit there all day long in the tubberware. They havent been eating much at all and it's starting to worry me.

#54 Guest_JT_*

Guest_JT_*

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:47 PM

they live in colorado, new mexico area rite ?

#55 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:01 PM

<font color="0000ff">Lucy, how large (surface area) is their environment? Have you been feeding them live prey (crickets, pinky mice, mealy bugs)? Do you have a pond for them to lounge in? A heat lamp?

Temps and seasons could cause them to fast. Its also possible that they went without food during capture and shipping. They would have been quite hungry for a while after you received them. Now that they've gained some weight they have slacked off for a bit.

Normally they become spoiled and have voracious appetites. Mojo will come to the end of the aquarium and eyeball you when she's hungry. Sometimes she will just lay nestled in the pet bedding for several days, not hungry and only moving to get in and out of her pond and returning to her spot.

When I buy crickets I often put the container on top of the screen cover so she can hear them. Won't be long until she's sitting up staring at it, waiting for a snack. </font>

(Message edited by sweetness on December 21, 2004)

#56 mojorisin

mojorisin

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:35 PM

Sweetness, could you please show me a pic of Mojo's home? You seem to know what you are doing when it comes to raising him, and I would like to see how it is done the right way. Thanks

#57 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

<font color="0000ff">55 gal aquarium
3 bags of repti bark
Water container
Lamp housing (clip on kind found in pet store)
Red heat bulb
Screen top for the aquarium
Herpicare Cricket Dust
Cricket container

Dump the reptibark in. I keep it lower around the water bowl.

Get a water bowl deep enough that the toads can sit in it and be at least 1/2 way covered up.

I have the light sitting on top of the scteen/lid at one end of the aquarium and the water in the middle.

Keep the water container cleaned as often as possible, they use this to excrete as well as rehydrate and adjust their body temp.

Sprinkle a couple of scoops of cricket dust in the container, buy a dozen large crickets and dump them in and shake it so they get coated. Put a few crickets in the aquarium at a time and let them eat. Next day move the bark around to disturb the crickets so they'll get eaten. Don't leave live prey in there to die. Crickets will sometimes bite the toads, they like to chew on things. Another reason not to leave them in there.

It takes a while and your arm may get sore but eventually they will eat food that you dangle above them. And they learn fast. A pinky mouse (live, not frozen) will get their attention pretty fast and is easiest to teach them with.

You can also buy some live mealy worms. I only feed these by hand because they will burrow into the bark/bedding, you can't find them and they eventually die.

So over the course of say, 2 weeks I will go thru a dozen crickets, a pinky mouse and a container of 50 mealy worms. Not all of the worms make it. They don't last long. You can keep them in the fridge and take out a few at a time to warm up before feeding.

How long have you had them? </font>

#58 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:35 AM

<font color="0000ff">Oh yeah, it doesn't say so on the box but don't touch those bulbs with your bare hands. Same as headlight bulbs they'll burn out right away if you do.

Don't have a digi right now, sorry about no pics. </font>

#59 mojorisin

mojorisin

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

Thank you very much, I have a clearer idea of the responsibilites and necessary habitat of the toadies. Alot of work, but a labor of love. I think it would be like any other pet, you need to love them to care properly for em. Thanx again Sweets. Did you have a book, or did you wing it? I suppose previous experience with cold blooded animals is a plus, mine begins and ends with marine fish and animals. Not a good starting point lol..

#60 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:08 PM

I suppose previous experience with cold blooded animals is a plus

<font color="0000ff">I've been married before and dated some so yes, you could say I have some exp.

A friend of mine had a pair and he is quite exp with raising them. Basically gave me the same info I gave you. Have you sexed them yet?

Actually the 55 gal aquarium was what I could get at the time. I would much prefer more surface area.

Please keep us informed on their eating habits. And take pics!

<u>Archives</u></font>

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!