95 replies to this topic

#21 NEPHROSIS

NEPHROSIS

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

HOly fuck!

How did I not see this before? Awesome thread man, thanks.

#22 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks. Recovered 8.41 grams from 1kg after 4 pulls...I didn't add 9 oz of lye water before doing the 4rth pull 3 days later though, had I added the lye I might have recovered even more. I did add 9 oz of lye before each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pulls. After adding the 300mL lye water (9 oz of lye slowly added to 1/2 pint hot water with stirring) and 1200mL of xylene, the carboy is then capped and rolled around on carpet pieces off and on for the better part of a day, then let to sit for 2 days undisturbed, then the 1000ml of xylene is pulled from the top of the carboy, then the xylene is dried, then the xylene is gassed, then it's added to a sep funnel, then 1/2 cup of boiling hot water is added to the sep, then 30 seconds later, the water is drained (lower layer) and evaporated off over night. It's always good to add lye before doing each pull 2 to 3 days later because after a while the lye turns into baking soda in the carboy, and by adding more lye you keep the high ph maintained to break down the cactus tissue. Here is a pic of 1 gram of it...it is a white powder with a touch of light cream, taste perfect and has no smell even without an acetone wash, scraped right off the water evaporation dish. It is very "light" and "fluffy" when scraped up, was like chopping shards of air. I'll clean it anyways later, just because I always like to.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01782.JPG

#23 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

Can one of the mods say "archive material"?:bow:

#24 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Yep..Def Achive material...Thanx Tregar for this awsome addition to our extraction pages...
Those crystals are beautiful indeed ..I'm shure you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labour for some time to come..:meditate:

#25 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

P.S. When the calcium chloride pulls the water out of the muriatic in the bottle, it never gets over 140 degrees F, so just wear a good pair of long chemical resistant gloves. I never felt it get hot while holding it with gloves.There is really nothing to worry about making the gas...once you've done it once, you will see just how easy and safe it is so long as you're wearing a mask, full safety goggles, and have a simple fumehood...you could get by with a fume hood with just 2 to 4 fans if you wanted, 6 fans is most likely overkill...but man does it suck the fumes up within a few microseconds--this fumehood could get up and take off like a hovercraft it's so strong!

I'm sure most people with stick with the standard tek, but if you decide one day you want the cleanest possible mescaline hcl possible without any GAK, this is a method of salting for the intermediate or advanced hobbyist.

Thanks Golly & Nephrosis. I'll be trying 200mg in dreams in a few days, I'll report in the trip section. I'm very fond of mescaline, I find it a beautiful, remarkable substance, mother nature gets all the credit.

The time is ripe for the use of psychedelic substances in dreams. This need is connected with the spiritual and material dilemma of our time. It is not necessary to list all of the things that are no longer right in our world. But we can mention some: in the spiritual domain, materialism, egoism, isolation, and the absence of any religious foundation; on the material level, environmental destruction as a result of technological development and over-industrialization, the ongoing depletion of natural resources, and the accumulation of immense fortunes by a few people while the majority become increasingly destitute. A change for the better will come about only when a general shift in consciousness takes place. All means and all ways that will help lead to a new and universal spirituality are worthy of support.

A perfect example of how the environment "should look" imho is santa monica/venice beach...there is a 30 mile bike trail from beach to beach to beach along the coastline with beautiful well-maintained parks on the cliff...but really, only the rich can afford to live there...I would give anything to live there...I visited there and it is absolutely beautiful and rich with activitites to keep you occupied...mountain hiking, biking, swimming, walking, running, surfing, rollerblading, rollerboogie dance center, skateboarding, fishing, outdoor handball, basketball, weight lifting, dozens of volleyball courts right on the beach....if only other communities would put money into developing their natural resources and preserving them...where I live there is no concern for bike paths, building nice parks or providing activities for anyone to do besides shopping! The new houses are being built close together with not a single park or pool or bike trail...wtf? what happened to nature? Store after store...It's urban sprawl gone mad, all to provide money for the man.

#26 Myco-Iggy

Myco-Iggy

Psychonaught

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

Looks like the way to go, wonderful improvision.
All over it next week.

Swim did up some sulphate thanks to Nan and it came out beautiful and white?

Posted Image

Anyone know why?

#27 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

Making the suphate salt of mescaline is another excellent way to go. With the sulfate you get beautiful crystalline pure stuff! NIce pic Myco-Iggy! A good digital ph meter and calibration solutions are needed to check ph to get it exact, which I have...I may give it a shot one day. Nice work...I would love if you could describe your process for us sometime. It is more difficult but sulphate crystals can come out perfect.

Just remember if you use this method, ignore the pics (post #10 pics in the middle) where I filter the xylene containing mescaline freebase thru a buchner funnel and #101 filter with the dried epsom salts on it--instead, dry your solvent using the "proper" method given to me by my chemistry genius friend above--add your dried epsom salt chunks directly to your xylene, swirl it around for a few minutes, then let it sit and settle for 3 hours--this will get it incredibly dry, even drier than I did it, and the drier your nonpolar--the prettier your product in the end--then just decant off the solvent from the rocks at the bottom into a vacant jar, then pour that jar through a #101 filter (or coffee filter) on your buchner funnel, apply vacuum, and in only 10 seconds or so you will end up with filtered and perfectly dry solvent waiting to be gassed--this will be MUCH easier and less messy, plus it filters in seconds instead of 20 to 30 minutes...soon as you have your nonpolar dried, it is ready to be gassed.

If you want, you can collect all your pulls (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and last 4rth xylene pull), dry them all in one single jar with your added dried epsom salt rocks, then combine them all into a single gallon or larger glass jar, then just gas that single container...this will make it much faster too.

The acetone wash should always be done at the end, it only takes about 5 minutes.

This gassing method to get lots of clean beautiful crystals is really simple and fast.

#28 Myco-Iggy

Myco-Iggy

Psychonaught

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Sounds like a bet!
I wanna see what happens with this next try.

Gonna do 1 kilo with the HCl gassing method which sounds much quicker and try it one more time with the S2HO4 salts.

The tek was pretty much to the T on Nans technique.
A couple little changes for a quocker and easier flow.

I will post my methods and outcomes of the future

:weedpoke:

#29 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

Pictures illustrating how to do an acetone wash on your mescaline:

1. Weigh the beginning amount of the mescaline you are going to clean.

2. Put it into a mortar & pestal (about .5 gram at a time) and pestal it for several minutes with ice cold acetone (pull the can out of the freezer when ready to use).

3. Put a cotton ball into a funnel on a buchner flask or jar.

4. Apply vacuum, then pour the solution from your mortar into the funnel. The acetone will go through the cotton along with any impurities and collect in your jar at the bottom. The mescaline will get trapped on top or inside the cotton.

5. Here is a picture showing the acetone that collects in your collection jar...take it and put it aside, it contains impurities that you can get rid of...however, if you let it sit for about 30 minutes, you will see some mescaline that escaped the cotton ball...it will be at the bottom of your jar...it won't be much.

6. The mescaline will have gotten trapped on top the cotton or inside of it, so now go ahead and rinse the cotton in the funnel while it sits on your vacuum flask--pour a small amount of acetone through your funnel about 3 times to rinse it real well, let the acetone collect in your acetone jar once more.

7. To recover any lost mescaline in your acetone wash jar...let it sit for 1/2 hour then just decant off almost all the acetone in the jar into a vacant jar and dispose of it. Leave a little bit of acetone in your 1st collection jar and swirl it around for a bit to get the mescaline off the bottom of the jar, then quickly pour it onto a pyrex dish sitting at an angle...any mescaline will stick to the top and middle of the pyrex dish...the acetone will fall to the bottom where it can be poured from the dish..scrape up the dry mescaline after a while...it won't be much maybe 10 to 30 mg or so.

8. When all the acetone has fallen or been pulled by vacuum out of the cotton ball, just take your cotton out of the funnel and place it on a plate in front of a fan for a few hours or overnight,

9. (picture not shown) When your cotton ball is completely dry, just put it back into a clean funnel, mount the funnel to your vacuum flask, apply a vacuum, and pour about 1/2 to 1 cup of boiling hot distilled water through it (heat your water up for 2 minutes in a microwave). Take the water that falls through the cotton and place it in a pyrex dish in front of a fan overnight, in the morning scrape up your cleaned mescaline--it is now ready for consumption in dreams.

10. Weigh the mescaline that remains along with any mescaline you re-collected from your acetone wash jar--you should not have lost very much...this method only removes impurities.

Attached Thumbnails

• wash.8.JPG
  • wash.7.JPG
  • wash.6.JPG
  • wash.5.JPG
  • wash.4.JPG
  • wash.2.jpg
  • wash.3.jpg
  • wash.1.jpg

#30 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

Myco-Iggy said:

Sounds like a bet!

I wanna see what happens with this next try.

Gonna do 1 kilo with the HCl gassing method which sounds much quicker and try it one more time with the S2HO4 salts.

The tek was pretty much to the T on Nans technique.
A couple little changes for a quocker and easier flow.

I will post my methods and outcomes of the future

Cool, looking forward to seeing/hearing your results in the future!

#31 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

A 5 minute quick ice cold acetone wash on a sample of the product yielded a beautiful nice white to off-white color powder:

Starting weight: 1013 mg, ending cleaned weight: 1004 mg...amount lost to cleaning: 9 mg. The gassed stuff responds very well to a quick acetone wash. Now I'll proceed to wash the rest of it. And yes, when you look at the leftover jar of acetone wash you can tell it picked up a *tiny* bit of color when held next to a jar of fresh unused acetone.

Before and After photos at the bottom of this post.

Breakdown of the tek I followed (very simple, all credit goes to foaf) Acetone wash credit goes to WaylitJim & Ekstaza. The drying, gassing and collection steps at the end are my own. Many thanks to my friend persona for a simpler method of drying solvent.

Summary:

1) 2.5 to 3 gallon water jug (carboy) + 1.5 gallons water + 27 ounces of lye <mix> + 1 kg powdered torch + 48 ounces xylene <mix repeatedly then let sit 2 days>

27 ounces of lye = about 3 and 1/2 cups of lye
48 ounces xylene = about 1400 mL

Mix your carboy by rolling it around on carpet or carpet pieces, back and forth for a few minutes, repeat this a few times during the better part of a day, then let it settle for 2 days at least.

I ordered one of those 3 gallon glass carboys from a beer making supply place--and no, I haven't had any problems with it cracking--it's really sturdy. You will also need a rubber stopper for the top, you can usually get them from the same place.

2) siphon about 40 to 44 ounces of the xylene off the top put into a vacant 1 quart (1000 mL or 1 liter) jar, you can find these anywhere.

Use a long glass pipette and it will take you about 15 to 30 minutes to siphon off the top xylene layer . By using a glass pipette, you will experience no dribble or splashback of get away drops back into your carboy as you are pulling...very effective but takes some time.

3) Add 8 to 9 ounces of lye to about 300 to 500mL of water in a jar, add very slowly with stirring...after it is all mixed, add it to your carboy using a funnel. I like to heat a jar half full of water in the microwave for 2 minutes, then take it out and place it on a cement floor and then add your 8 to 9 ounces of lye very very slowly to it with stirring so it mixes together faster. Wear gloves & safety glasses...it will bubble a little bit in the beginning...just pour the lye in VERY slowly. As the jar cools down, you will be able to add the lye a little bit faster.

4) Now add 40 to 44 ounces (1100 to 1300mL or so) of fresh xylene to the carboy.

5) Roll the carboy around on the carpet to mix everything up real good...roll the carboy around every now and then during the day, then let it sit for 2 days undisturbed (very important).

6) Just pull off the top 40 ounces (1000mL) or so of the top xylene layer and put it into another 1 quart jar.

7) Repeat this entire process two more times, each time adding 8 to 9 ounces of lye to your carboy and more xylene...

8) In the end you will have four 1-quart jars full of xylene containing mescaline freebase.

9) Now just dry your jars (see post #21) Combine your 4 jars into 1 single large glass jug to dry if you want.

10) Now just gas your jars (see post #4 thru #9) Combine your 4 jars into 1 single large glass jug to gas if you want.

11) Bubble air through each of your jars for 5 minutes to "bleed" off any excess hcl gas lingering in the xylene. Use an aquarium pump..connect the tubing to the narrow end of a glass pipette and insert the wide end of the pipette into the jar.

12) Let the 4 jars sit for 1/2 hour, you will see a layer of mescaline hcl collect on the bottom of each jar. Add the bottom containing xylene with the mescaline hcl (decant off most of the top layer of xylene into a jar to dispose of) to your sep funnel.

13) Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup or less of hot boiling distilled water to the sep funnel. Let it sit for 10 to 30 seconds or less...decant off the clear bottom water layer...it contains your mescaline hcl. You can also "shoot" the hot water into the sep to have it forcefully penetrate the xylene by using a water bottle with tip. The faster you collect your mescaline, the better.

14) Put the water into a pyrex dish and put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees F.

15) Pull the pyrex dish out and let it sit under a fan overnight.

16) In the morning scrape up your mescaline hcl and clean it with a 5 minute acetone wash, evaporate water overnight again, then scrape up the mescaline hcl in the morning...it will be very clean now and ready for consumption in dreams.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01782.JPG
  • DSC01796.JPG

#32 Myco-Iggy

Myco-Iggy

Psychonaught

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

The last time swim tried the extraction, swim PCed the powder many times in 5 gallons of acidic water and boiled that down to about 800 ml of thick syrup.
This syrup was a pleasure to work with and decanting xylene layers off the top was very easy due to the thickness difference of the two liquids. Mixing was somewhat laborous until enough NaOH has been added to really break down the syrup.

But Swim is curious if working the goods out of the material via acidic water+heat+pressure, boiling this into a small amount of liquid to work with is as efficient or more than extracting from the powder directly?

2 kilos are avaible for swim's use so if no one can help shed any light, maybe with experiences or anything, a structured 4 part experiment is definantly in need:1 500g HCl based syrup ext. and 1 500g HCl str8 powder ext. first.

One more question if anyone might wnow anything on this.
Does creating a different salt of the same alkaloid proportionately produce different yeilds. I know the molecular weight is different, but if one were to compare amounts of doses, would the choice of salt directly effect the yield?

Thanks a bunch for any light shedders!
:bow:

#33 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well, took some today and the stuff kicks serious ass, I'm trip..trip...tripping...music is a pleasure to listen to...heavenly. I'm in ecstasy. I'm gonna have one hell of an afterglow.

The most beautiful substance to come from mother nature imho...very close to LSD in its effects.

peace out.

#34 Myco-Iggy

Myco-Iggy

Psychonaught

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

KILLER!!

:headbang:

#35 Gringo Biloba

Gringo Biloba

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

Nice work, Tregar. Instead of gassing your xylene (or any other non-polar solvent) containing the freebase with HCL(g) why don't you try titrating it with Muriatic acid (aq.HCl) to a pH of 7 and letting the water slowly evaporate. This is in a scence a recrystalization from water and you should and up with a supperior product (leaving any impurities behind).
I would also like to remind you that what you are ending up with is a mixture of various substituted phenethylamines, not just mescaline. Nontheless, nice work.

#36 Gringo Biloba

Gringo Biloba

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

Also, a couple of hot acetone washes to the final salt should clean it up quite a bit as well.

#37 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Gringo Biloba said:

I would also like to remind you that what you are ending up with is a mixture of various substituted phenethylamines, not just Mescaline

Yes, indeed, a mixture of all the various phenethylamines in the cactus as well as the mescaline. Thanks for reminding everyone of this, I failed to point this out earlier.

Thanks, yes Titration is a great method too. I've done that before, I have a very good electronic ph meter and calibration solutions. Nice clean product is possible with careful titration. This is just an alternative method for the advanced or intermediate hobbyist to experiment with. Three years ago I also did the standard tek without an acetone wash and ended up with the typical chocolate or brown colored mescaline.

I isolated the other assorted phenethylamine alkaloids from the mescaline in one of my earlier experiments by allowing the other alkaloids to fall thru the #103 2.5 micron filter (.85 grams from the 1st and 2nd pulls went back into the xylene, where it was then collected with water). The mescaline held to its own and collected on the top of the #103 filter with heavy vacuum. The alkaloids that made it thru the filter were sampled by two different people at doses of 300mg, 200mg and 60mg...each time a marked sedative/hypnotic effect was noticed at 2 hours that made the investigators very drowsy and sedated, almost to the point of going to sleep. There must have been ittle to no mescaline at all in the sample alkaloids that fell thru the filter, as no tripping or stimulating effects were noted at all.

Other investigators from the past have sampled some of these various alkaloids (from peyote however) such as Dr. Heffter here: http://www.heffter.o...view2/chap2.pdf

#38 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

:thumbup:

#39 Myco-Iggy

Myco-Iggy

Psychonaught

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

Compared to gassing, would the titrating method result in dramatically different yeilds?
And I got H2SO4 already, could one dilute with dH20 and make a gasser with that solution?
Would this still result in mixed alkaloid extraction?
:bow:

#40 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

About the same yields either way.

When you gas, the molecules that are the same and highest in concentration will come together to form the largest crystals... so effectively you get sizable (but not large) crystals of mescaline.

These other phenethylamines are more polar and so do not like to come together with mescaline... and since their concentration is dilute, they don't have time to come together and form crystals that are large enough to not make it through the filter... so effectively, you can filter out the mescaline but not them.

When you do an acid/base, I would think that they would come over into the final product (unless you recrystallize)... but 95% mescaline and 5% other alkaloids, you may or may not notice their effects.

The gasser must remain dry & 100% anahydrous (by not adding water) to be effective or you're simply doing titration in a messy time wasting fashion. This is also the reason why the nonpolar is dried--any traces of water must be removed from the solvent--this is done so that the product comes out as clean as possible.

Here is another tek you could try too: http://mycotopia.net...cl-extract.html

How to do a careful titration. the way to do it is this:

First, dilute your muriatic acid. you want a 1M solution. muriatic is 10 molar so mix 1 part muriatic to 9 parts distilled water. you dont need much of this maybe 200ml at the most. you will also need an eyedropper to add this to your salting solution.

After syphoning your solvent from your extraction vessel, and after drying it with anhydrous epsom salt and filtering (very important steps, as it removes any cactus material that might be in there and any traces of basified water which if left in will become table salt contamination), place it in your separatory funnel (you need one) with some distilled water (say 100 or 200ml depending on how much solvent you have). then add say 5-10 drops of your acid solution and shake the sep funnel. let it separate. let out some of the water into a beaker or cup and test it with ph paper or a ph meter. the ph will be pretty high still, probably around 10. repeat the process until you get between ph 6 and 7. at first it will take a lot of drops of acid, but as you approach neutral ph it takes ALOT less (ph is logarithmic), so be careful. its very easy to overshoot. when you get to the right ph, separate and evaporate the water leaving clean tan (or white if you did it perfect) mescaline. if you overshot a little and its brown (again, very easy to do this) do an acetone wash.

Concerning smacked12's thread on mycotopia: nice results. 3.5ml muriatic to 1 gallon dH20 could be a good ratio. but if you do that instead of a careful titration (admittedly its alot easier) make sure you check the ph of your solution before evaporating. if it is basic, do NOT evaporate yet, add a few drops of dilute acid and repeat the salting process. a basic ph means there might be some LYE in there. this shortcut is easier but with titration to a neutral or slightly acidic ph you can be sure that any lye that might have made it through the separation/drying/filtering (it CAN happen) has been converted to harmless table salt.

The 3.5ml muriatic/1 gallon of water idea in smacked12's thread is good but you should test it before evaporating and if its basic just repeat the salting with a few drops of dilute acid. This could actually be a very good shortcut when titrating as it gets you past the initial stages where you need to add many drops. But again, test your ph before evaporating.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!