#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

I thought maybe we could have a thread for experimenting with alternative substrates that are not well documented. Don't be afraid to post your failures , that can be helpful to.
I'm going to get the ball rolling with garlic stalk chips. I have a friend who grew a half acre of garlic and had literally tonnes of stalks. The plant is about 6 feet high the way he grew it. My interest in garlic spawned from the idea that it is known to be anti-bacterial and is said to have its own built in pesticides.
I took dried, clean garlic stalks and shredded them in my garden chipper. It made very fine , bright chips. I soaked these chips in bleach water, rinsed and PC'd for 90 minutes at 15 psi.One jar I added moistened verm for rez effect.
I tried 2 things that you can see in the jars. The first was to just drop colonized wbs into the top of the jar (on the left) and let it naturally work its way down. The other jar I shook and distributed the wbs everywhere. The shaken jar has no verm.
I'm happy with the growth in both test jars. The pictures were taken 7 days after a G2G transfer of wbs , Redboy ( ralphster ) is the strain.
Becuase of early encouraging results I will chip more garlic and try further experiments. I plan to mix chips with horse manure and making logs.
myco10.jpg
myco11.jpg
Please feel free to join in this thread with your outside the box substrate experiments. Pictures are most welcome as it aids in digestion...
cheers
H

• Da-1 likes this

#2 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Awesome!!!

Please refer to my Pancake mix thread:

http://mycotopia.net...ancake-mix.html

Good luck with the Garlic!!

Prism:headbang:

Edited by coorsmikey, 05 May 2016 - 12:54 AM.

#3 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Nice Rhizo on the garlic by the way!:headbang:

#4 myco-curious

myco-curious

Mike O. Kuerias

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

here's one I've been meaning to try...sugar beet pulp. Don't know if anyone else has had any experience with it but it's cheap and very "coir-like". Just have to stop at the feed store to pick some up sometime...

#5 cheshire

cheshire

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

used the left over juice you have after cooking rye as an LC sub.. worked nicely :)
  • Om shanti likes this

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

Pics wherever possible are great. Its good to document things from spores to fruit. If its a failure, report that to.

I'll continue the garlic grow here as it progresses. In the works I have buckwheat and an experiment with birch leaves soaked in horse poo water.

More to come, feel free to join in

cheers

H

#7 nepenthes_ak

nepenthes_ak

Wanderlust King

• Expired Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

:eusa_eh: Would the mushrooms have a garlic taste or is that just the GARLIC that has that taste not the stalks?

Hmm you already got me thinking about how to put this into a recipe.

#8 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Garlic majic cubensis dust!!! MMMMMMMMMMMM!!:bow::bow::bow:

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

The chips made from garlic straw do indeed have a "garlicky" aroma. I'm quite certain that won't have any effect on the mushrooms. What may happen which will be hard to quantify is giving the mycelium an advantage over molds like trich. To check i'm thinking of doing up jars of hemp root and stalk and garlic in others and try to intentionally infect them with trich.

#10 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,785 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

I fixed 'er bud. :thumbup: nice thread, btw! :)

fahtster

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

Thanks Fahtster

I felt inspired so I tried 2 other new things. First I took my handy dandy leaf shredder that I modified and super-mulched a bucket of dried birch leaves. Next I soaked those leaves in horse manure soak water overnite, drained well and packed into jars. One of the jars I left as is except for verm layer on the bottom and the other I mixed verm throughout. Both leaf jars I compressed the first 2/3's down tight and left the top leaves lightly packed. I did a wbs G2L (grain to leaf) transfer inside the glove box and shook it into the loose top layer of each jar.

Should be interesting. Have lots of leaves in the yard if it works well.

Second thing I did was buckwheat. It went well , but an early observation is don't soak it 24 hours. It starts to sprout a bit and I think 15 - 16 hours would be plenty. No need to simmer it doesn't look like. Afer soaking its important to rinse buckwheat very well. It has a syrupy liquid like rice or barley after soaking so rinse many times till its clear. Drain till it drips no more...

After PC'ing the buckwheat kernals seperated very well with a light shake. G2G went well and after an easy shake and roll the wbs made it all over the jars. One jar I mixed verm with the buckwheat and the other straight bucky.

I'll put pics here as soon as I have time.

cheers

H

#12 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

That's the thread I've been waiting for. You're the man Hyphae! :)

I have a question regarding buckwheat... what kind did you use? I know only roasted buckwheat (tastes great, BTW), which behaves in a simmilar way as rice. Just need to boil it about 10 mins and it's ready ;). Pic below.

I will definitely try it and maybe buckwheat flour+verm as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01598.JPG

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

I used hulled buckwheat that is still slightly brown. There is a small amount of the "rind" left on the kernel. You can get very clean buckwheat but its a bit more expensive.

Best thing so far about buckwheat is the way the kernels seperate eaily.

The buckwheat in your hand in that pic is unhulled.

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

Most of you have likely already seen the venerable Golly's thread on lawn grass clippings for substrate....

https://mycotopia.ne...-for-substrate/

Edited by Sidestreet, 09 October 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:40 AM

The buckwheat is colonizing, My temps are fluctuating between 70 and 80 so its not ideal but workable. The verm I added for moisture mopup makes it hard to see in pictures. I'm hoping it will start moving now that the RB mycelium is recovered.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1194069601

The garlic straw chips that were shaken are almost colonized fully. I'll blacken out the bottom and fruit them right in their jar. I'm happy enough with the results to try a bag or tub with garlic chips, likely mixed with horse manure. The jar of unshaken is moving along. I didn't take a picture this time but will soon.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1194069601

The leaves are getting ready to do something. The RB myc is recovered and looking for a nice meal.Should know in a few days how well it moves through the leaf medium. As I mentioned above these leaves were soaked in horse manure / compost tea and PC'd.

http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66294&stc=1&d=1194069601

Thats it for now. I'll report back as things develop.

cheers

H

P.S: First pic is pans I just started, I accidently u/l now can't delete

Attached Thumbnails

• new19b.jpg
  • new3.jpg
  • new19a.jpg
  • new1.jpg

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

Poo-soaked leaves , buckwheat :rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• buck1.jpg
  • leaf1.jpg
  • leaf2.jpg

#17 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

Interesting..
I guess, if u can keep the leaves from matting down with the verm ,then the texture should be good..Dead tree leaves are high in carbon and lignin but fairly low in nitrogen.

Are there no grains or other nutes in the leaf jar..?..If not, i'm really interested to see what happens later..
You have inspired me to try a grain free, grass thatch mycobag and see if it can colo n' fruit without the benefit of grainspawn..

Previously , the occasional dead leaf that ended up in the lawngrass subs colonized completely too...So Gluk with that...

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

Thats about all I did was shred/soak the leaves in horse manure water. One jar has verm for rez effect.

thanks golly :thumbup:

H

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:50 PM

No comments on my "weed" jar !? , damn. :rasta:

Wifey gave me that. Its hand-made, and yes I keep my weed in there. :lol: