8 replies to this topic

#1 MrMerlin

MrMerlin

Chews fingers

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

Goodday friends!
This girl I know has had some great success growing edibles on various mediums, yet can't seem to fathom the dreary attitude of her newfound cake enterprise. You see, they just don't want to pin aggressively, even after two weeks.

Apparently from the attached pics this isn't entirely so, as a couple cakes burst their pettycoats a few nights ago and a couple good sizers picked, but this is all she's seen so far of the total 6. Think its something to do with the hydration of the little buggers? They've not been dunked, only double cased with regular FAE. Oh and the mix is PFtek with fine grade verm, strain unknown.

Ta

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0211.JPG
  • HPIM0208.JPG

#2 MrMerlin

MrMerlin

Chews fingers

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:19 AM

a few crumbs of condolence anyone??

#3 iShroom

iShroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:35 AM

doesnt dunking induce pinning?

#4 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:14 AM

I think it they are double cased the problem may be not in the hydration but in the FAE.
Sometimes cakes only get a few shooms per flush and then sometimes more.

#5 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

They look healthy enough. What is the RH in your FC? What is the Temp in your FC?

#6 lardnar

lardnar

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

They look happy enough. Sometimes it takes a long while for them to pin, you start frettin about it, then they just explode :D

I suggest injecting some water into the cakes to let em know they got plenty of water to spare on fruits. Put a jar in the microwave with an inch of water in it. My microwave starts boiling the water after 40 seconds and I let it run for a minute just to make sure I'm not injecting my myc with something that has a chance.

Then I stick the needle in the cake so the tip is approximately in the center and *slowly* add water. It will be hard to squirt the water in the first pump most of the time because the needle gets clogged with verm or mycelium, but don't squeeze too hard to get it loose or the water will just come out of the hole from the needle. Add 5cc or so, stop when water starts coming out of the sides of the cake.

I do this when I birth the cakes and before each flush as the first pins form

#7 MrMerlin

MrMerlin

Chews fingers

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:09 AM

Thanks Lard, will convey that. The lady's crumbled a couple of the slackers to case so we'll see how that goes. BTW humidity's at 95-100 and temps at a steady 21, no cold shock. Could it possibly be something to do with the fine verm?

Thanks again guys!

#8 pneuma9

pneuma9

Resident Deviant

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

what are you going to case with, exactly? Let me know how it goes. I've got some slow fruiters too.

#9 MrMerlin

MrMerlin

Chews fingers

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

Only got verm in the house lately, since no stores dare stock anything more interesting during winter. But you shouldn't worry too much, verm'll make them sprout neverthless

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!