76 replies to this topic

#41 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

hey you never know. it may contam. always expect the worst, and when the best happens, your in shock! lol...that way im never let down really.

ok checked the casings today. had trouble getting to them. but it looks like both of the pan aussie bins are already popping through the casing in a about 20% of the substrate. this casing was layed down on one bin as 1/8" thickness and in the other bin between 1/8" and 1/4". both very thin.

the casing was a 70/30 coir to fine verm mix. sterilized in the pc for one hour. allowed to cool and placed directly on top.

now, when the casing is mixed prior to pc. it is mixed just a bit more than field capacity being the water content. this is bc when its pced it loses a bit of moisture from evaporation. sometimes its tough to gauge. but after a while you can get it almost perfect everytime. if not add a bit of distilled water. this was mixed with tap water. but when adding new ater to any casing aside from dunking it, distilled is used. the tap is only used to dunk and to mix into the subs. then its pasteurized in the oven with the mix or the casing.

the entire point of this is to try and get the moisture content correct when you add everything as opposed to spraying or adding more moisture to the tub, so you don't introduce anything else. ive never sprayed my casings unless they were very dry or past 1st flush. and this does happen. but all the moisture in this bin seems to provide adequate moisture for the casing. where you don't have to spray or add any moisture until after your flush.

#42 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:32 AM

Yeah it might be worth getting a sams club card to get a few bags of that.

#43 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

can you post a link for that tried looking it up my self but couldn't find it

never mind found it

Sam's Club - Mighty Pop Premium Popcorn - 50 lb. bag

huh,
ITEM UNAVAILABLE
at all 5 of my 'local' sam's club locations
:gah:

#44 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:28 AM

lol, damn just your luck huh! see if they can order it for you?

#45 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

checked today. can see some mycelia popping through.

although coarse verm is preferred with the casing mix. this fine verm seems to be a bit more trouble colonizing than the course imho. hopefully it will turn out ok. just assuming the worst at this point.

im loving this corn spawn. its really easy to get moisture content. and even when there is extra condensation on the sides of the jar, a good shake moves it around and solves it. just haven't tested the speed side by side yet for colonization. thats next in line. the wbs breaks up into so many pieces its hard not to like it as spawn. but popcorn has to be the easiest thing to get moisture content correct in. at least that ive tried. just did some rye berry, quinoa, well the above mix and a few rye berry jars alone.

#46 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

injected pan austrailia regular and pan jamaica with lc's today.

the pan goliath is not liking the red winter wheat berries or the popcorn alone. it is really liking this quinoa, popcorn, amaranth, millet mix the best. Seems to not be catching on the winter wheat berries very quickly.

#47 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

looks like you got your hands full with all those pans:headbang:

have a good holiday..... i know i am just got me a electric deep fryer yummmmmy. then i can use it to pasteurize :)

#48 little white rabbit

little white rabbit

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

good luck from here too

looking good :amazed:

#49 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

the two casings were a bit patchy. they were sprayed lightly and patched a bit. one contamed today. it was birthed and the contams were salted. lets hope for the best. the other tray is almost done colonizing.

#50 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

well, screwed up one casing. the other one was birthed today. it was rigged up with the tropic aire and an air pump that feds was using on his bins. it has adjustable valves and a type of spray bar that has holes. this is similar to going in with a pvc pipe and drilling 1/4" holes in a larger automated setup. kinda nice and all inclusive. rigged it up to 2 bins with the tubes. directly through the polyfil and micropore tape. they only had the tape size pieces of microtape. so its double wide on each hole that used to have polyfil in it. here are some shots as follows.
perfer the coarse verm for casing. it really colonizes much better than this fine verm. and faster. its a 70/30 mix of fine verm to coir. kinda sandy like texture to it.
used some of those velcro zip ties. was all they had at the store. prefer the plastic zip ties.

some accidental creeper strain fruit that looks like penis envy. in fact, all the fruits look very much like penis envy. but this has to be the worst fruiting ive seen in cubensis with this strain. it needs work. its about 90% aborts. 10 fat fruits. and they are super slow to maturity. your looking at 1.5 times the fruiting length. you end up waiting around on them. quite annoying.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4286.JPG
  • IMG_4285.JPG
  • IMG_4283.JPG
  • IMG_4284.JPG
  • IMG_4282.JPG
  • IMG_4281.JPG
  • IMG_4280.JPG
  • IMG_4279.JPG
  • IMG_4278.JPG
  • IMG_4277.JPG

#51 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

nice

#52 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

one more. inside with the tube.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4287.JPG

#53 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

They look more like cubies to me than pans
Never grown the red down under, But nice setup. :bow:

Posted Image Posted Image

its creeper strain read the 2nd paragraph. that was just accidentally uploaded and it wouldn't allow me to delete it. the pans were birthed today.

#54 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

looks like the casing needs a misting. going to wait it out and see how this tropic air does with the casing. i think it will be sufficient. going to do a few new test runs soon with no automated fruiting chamber. and without a casing. but wanted to get something going first before taking the chances.
http://mycotopia.net...du-img_4287.jpg

#55 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

just noticed it sorry. that is why i corrected my post edit tag.

#56 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

its cool man i think you were reading while i was editing and adding. its all good man! yeah definitely not pans. but hopefully soon. the casing doesn't look half bad except a little dry.

#57 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

opened up today to contam city. well round 2. gonna spawn some more shit soon! gonna do it in trays and get this tropic aire rigged up and working before hand.

real rusty been 5 years since doing pans. gonna do some pans in some pans lol.. probably cat litter trays.

#58 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:20 PM

what type of contam/s ?

#59 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

the casing wasn't 100% colonized. did this in one day. gonna do it the old fashioned way and use a tray and case it that way.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4288.JPG

#60 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

never fear eatyu is here. just knocked up a bunch of spawn with more rdu mycelia. gonna do this oldskool style with a bin, some seedling flats and the tropic air. wish me luck! so much to work on that this isn't even at the front of the list. hopefully gonna setup to have 50% pan work soon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!