#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:04 PM

I have been enjoying pasturizing different materials ever since I read how to do it here. Its a really simple process and can be done right on your kitchen stove, or even better ...outside.

My main interest in using this technique is to be able to pasturize large amounts of materials and not make a huge mess. This means I have to work outside, especially for draining steps. Poo water on the floor is a sin around here.

First step is to get your materials ready. For this post I will be doing 50-50 straw/poo with verm, you can do whatever plant matter and feces you choose. I like to soak my straw and poo separately in bleach water over night, add lime if necessary and drain well in morining. Next its mixed in a large tub and verm is added.

past4.jpg

I like to get very hot water from the bathtub to start. The reason I do this is i'm trying to use the large pot in the kitchen the least amount of time possible. Again this is because of past issues with scratching the stove with my pot/pc (note tinfoil under pot to lift).I take the hot water and dump it into the large canning pot. Turn it up to high. The handiest thing to have is a thermometer when pasturizing. Its key to knowing whats going on with the heat.

past6.jpg

I get the water to higher than usual, about 185 F and then dump that into my waiting bucket. Lid goes on to retain heat. Next I repeat the process to fill the canner with hot water and put it on high again. This whole process takes about 20 minutes and allows me to "not get caught".

past7.jpg

Now the canning pot is up to 175 F. I take the pot water and dump it in to the large tub with the material in it. Next I dump in the bucket which has cooled down 10 degrees by now. Lastly I put the screen to hold down the straw/poo and put a weight to submerge.

past9.jpg

I purposesly leave a bunch of space to add more hot water later. Every hour you want to pasturize you can put in 2 extra gallons of 175 F water. It cools down instantly to more like 165 F. You can check with your thermomter how its going and whether it needs a shot of hot water.

Some do longer, I do approximatley 2 hours + . After the time I put a bungi-cord over the tub and lid. This has done me very well. I love my bungi ! Dump some water out slowly until you can tip it on its side. Prop it up on an angle and let it drip until its completely done dripping. Ring it out if you want, I don't, but thats just me.

past66.jpg

past77.jpg

After the tub is drained and cooled you are ready to mix with spawn. Now you can make logs, tubs, beds and whatever else you can think of. Just make sure its completly cooled before inoculating.

Best of luck pasturizing.

H

Attached Thumbnails

• past8.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 09 October 2016 - 03:29 PM.

• Frequency and CatsAndBats like this

#2 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

nice:bow:

#3 LocoH

LocoH

The Sage

• Expired Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

very simple write up

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

:thumbup:

#5 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

great photo log

#6 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

Great post.. Im planning to pasturize some straw and poo soon so these posts help out alot.. today i got 1 bail of straw,a bag of lime>>> yeah and a question about this<<< they didnt have the powder they had the pelletized garden lime>i figured this would be fine.what do you think?A bag of cow poo,verm and some brf..Now i need a big thermometer.. I had some questions about humidity using bulk subs..but ill wait on that.. Nice post and Appreciate the help in explaining how to pasturize the other night in chat..

#7 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

:bow:

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

simple steam set-up
wall-paper steamer
feeds steam thru hole in lid
of metal garbage can
sitting in metal tub to catch any drips
DSCN0383.jpg

#9 saico

saico

Cut to the chase!

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

Yeah this method is probably the best method and no adding extra moisture after pasteurizing. It's also the cheapest method I'd bet. A rubbermaid tub and a big pot and you can pasteurize as well as an autoclave haha.

Nice tek hyphaenation and much props for investigating the versatility of rubbermaids. They can survive voodoo's oven for a night surely they can survive some warm water. The third piggy shoulda made his house outta rubbermaid and skipped the masonry.

If it were a hyphae nation we'd have armored rubbermaid limo's.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

speaking of heat
don't try steam in regular igloo-type cooler
it'll melt/warp interior/lid plastic
'tis why my indoor set-up is metal
[outside i use a plastic barrel but too cold out now to keep heat]

#11 bb4

bb4

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Free Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

hey hip,

is that to say the wagner steamers in the vaults are not a good idea in those big coolers? i'd been hankering to build one for straw pasteurization, but am a bit confused now...

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

I'd say the wagner-can has me beat especially outside in the cold of winter. This method I decscibed is a 3 season deal.

#13 MrMycelium

MrMycelium

Custom Title User

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

nice thread

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:57 AM

hey hip,

is that to say the wagner steamers in the vaults are not a good idea in those big coolers? i'd been hankering to build one for straw pasteurization, but am a bit confused now...

correct
use only the syrofoam-type
if using steam in coolers

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:41 PM

Its nice to have options when your load is done. Today i'll make my first dub-tub as well as some logs and a mono-tub.

Some day soon i'll be doing a load this way with horse manure for pans.

:rasta:

#16 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

hyph, your idea would still work for all 4 if you have a basement and a drain just keep it off the cold floor

#17 dumbfounded1600

dumbfounded1600

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

Leaches Nutrients..It draws gnats & is messy.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

messy ?
no shit.
:lol:

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff