LC contam detection?
Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:06 PM
Reason being, I have some vendor syringes that are 2 for 2 growing trich. The first one was lucky... it also grew robust myc that obliterated the trich and ended up with successful cakes, but the second syringe was a total failure.
With 3 syringes left, I don't want to keep knocking up good substrate only to be disappointed again.
Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:12 PM
Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:16 PM
If you have a syringe that is suspected of contamination, an agar plate might help you isolate a clean culture. But it's a matter of your technique, then you won't see much difference.
I'd suggest trying to take a successful jar, and start an LC from there. At least then, you have some idea what you are working with. Once you have a clean culture, LC is a powerful tool- it's worth the time it takes to do it right.
Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:03 PM
... of what appears to be cobweb.
First pic: nocced with LC grown out from vendor syringe, it *looked* like myc in the LC, anyway.
Second pic (for comparison) is WBS prepped exactly the same way but nocced with a standard syringe of spores from a print FOAF took herself.
Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:39 PM
a mess.Now I take a pint or half pint jar of cheep millet that
was PC'd and left to sit for 7 to 10 days to be sure it's
clean.Then hit it with 1 cc and let it go to see what happends.
If its trec it will go off and with in three days it will be green.
If after a week it's still clean I use a couple cc's to make LC
and knock up the rest of the jars.
This is what bad LC on millet looks like and after only three days.
The man stood good for it though but set me back a week or so.
Will see how the next jar goes.
Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:58 AM
Eventualy the peroxide breaks down to water anyway and I have had great results with this way of doing things. that's just my experience though. I will admit that not every LC I did this with always kept it from contaming, but more survived than were lost. It works in my opinion.
But the mycelia does suffer somewhat of a "burn" from the rinse. I've noticed some LCs losing their vigor more quickly than others but there could be other variables at play too or in combination with this.
Also, I believe that too much peroxide and you will suffer pink/red mold, but that is just my theory through from my experience...
Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:24 PM
lc is so easy to get a large amount
might not be worth that 'heroic' measure .
i suspect mixing with a 200:1 water:bleach solution would also help in cleaning up mildly contaminated lc solution before use.
some good contam pix & info herein
Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:41 PM
This is just something that seems to work for me, but as you said, bleach may be more efficient for this.
Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:09 PM
Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:17 PM
Hippie is right, a test jar is the best way overall, but there are other methods that work without using this one imo.