• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Physalia

Physalia

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Hey Ramp, a very simple way to use the tyvek system is as follows: Prepare rye/grain as per instr., have on hand a 16 penny nail, a large head regular screwdriver, tyvek squares large enough to cover lids + 1inch overlap, jar lids, rings, foil and clear fingernail polish. Prepunch two holes in the lids (1 w/nail...this for enoch, other w/screwdriver and ream round..,this will be your air exchange), fill jars 2/3 w/grain, place lid so burrs from holes are down, cover w/tyvek and tighten ring. Cover w/foil and autoclave per inst. After cooled you enoch by inserting syringe in smaller of two holes and sealing with a small dab of fingernail polish, making sure to sterilize your needle between uses. Small dot bandaids work also for sealing the hole but at times will peel back, inviting contam. Hope this helps ,Physalia.

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

you do grain so it's simple-
2 holes in lid.
fill one with silicon for injection,
glue tyvek over the other for air.
don't poke holes in the tyvek so no silicon there.
just a smear of elmer's glue around the hole to hold on the tyvek.

Posted Image

#43 Guest_RampoMarty_*

Guest_RampoMarty_*

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

I find it hard to ingect LC though the needle. I was thinking of opening the lids one by one in a GB and direct injection into the jar and seal it nice and tight and incubate. I plan to make 50 1 pint rye gars of spawn using 14 1 pint jars falf full of LC

of topic
when I LC I shake and wait and such up the mycelium in one 60 cc lump. I always wondered if i should shake and then such up the LC.
That way maybe I could get more bang for my buck
whould this work just as well, if maybe i lossen the lids for FEA, and incubate in a rubber made container.
what im worred about is the fact that the incubation/walk-in closet is heated by a hot coil fan set up kind of like a hair dryer and I doen't want the Spawn dry up.

Final comment: I learned with PF-tek that thier has to be FEA, but PF has a verm layer, I thought that rye jars had thier own magical atmosphere, dang ,

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

any air getting past a 'loose lid' is un-filtered, dirty.
not the best for colonizing grain.
a filter is essential, keep lids tight.

#45 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

thats alot of grain to PC in jars. Mabye try and do filterpatch bags with silicon ports with lbs of grain next time. I find it easier to do alot more rye in bags in my PC at once than jars. Just a suggestion or feel free to call me an idiot:eusa_shif, thanks.

#46 Guest_RampoMarty_*

Guest_RampoMarty_*

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

hoPicture 042.jpg w big should the hole be for the tyvek vent in mm in diameter???

#47 joecoolatc

joecoolatc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

i use a 16 penny nail. about 6mm. others might be different.

#48 Tactile Tunafish

Tactile Tunafish

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hi! - I posted this over on the other board, but it quickly got buried...your thoughts please?

Having a hard time trying to decide what to do next - get crops now, or maximize yield?

These jars are the result of extra material that wouldn't fit in the bigger tubs once all the junk (BRF cakes using PinkBflo, hpoo, coffee, coir & eggshells) got mixed together. Since there isn't anything at all poking through casing layer yet on the larger tubs, I didn't think very much was happening with the jars (the fruits are probably one-day old). There is lots of knotting.

What would be the best course of action at this point that wouldn't destroy the progress so far?

It's been at least a month since the last crops were harvested and the cupboard is dry, so we could really use them right now, however, it seems such a waste to not maximize what we got.

Any ideas on how to best proceed next? Thanks for your time !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3285.jpg
  • IMG_3289.jpg
  • IMG_3279.jpg

#49 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

well, since you already have invitro pinning
pick that when you are ready
then i'd recommend you try
>> rez-effect <<
[click it]

#50 Tactile Tunafish

Tactile Tunafish

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

Awesome, Hippie -

Thanks ever so much for the speedy response and steering me in the right direction ..

Its nice to get a little bit of both now and later with regards to approach - its exactly what I was hoping for !!!

:)

much appreciated..
TTF

#51 saico

saico

Cut to the chase!

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

I am curious about this because I have just spawned 2 pints of 2 month old wbs spawn to a monotub and I'm wondering if it has exhausted it's energy because it hasn't been refridgerated. I also have some yellow liquidy spots which I have heard are "myc piss".
reez-efect-projeck-1-029.jpg
It is not exactly colonizing in a rhizomorphic fashion like it did with a previous monotub of the same spawn used fresh. Although I have used half as much spawn in the process it took me only a matter of days to rip through the previous monotub. It was done as a casing. This latest tub in the link below is a bulk substrate (coir&verm) spawned at 25% WBS.
http://mycotopia.net...-specimens.html

Any thought's on the subject are appreciated greatly.:rasta:

#52 kingkc

kingkc

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

I've heard that the spawn can be old and of less value , and I've learned firsthand that if unrefrigerated pan spawn will seem somewhat spoiled. However, it seems that the spawn is working just fine. Spawn of pans is somewhat stinky it seems ...even the fresh fruitbodies.

#53 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:49 AM

colonized spawn for me lasts as long as it does not begin to pin and fruit inside.. that being unrefridgerated..
if its in the fridge, then it can last quite long i think..

#54 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

I am about to start new projects, and I am wanting to try new methods of spawning, since trich is getting the best of my projects :( I have read that poo seems to help against this, so I am gonna give it a go. ( I know poo is no substitute for proper sterille environments....)

I am using WBS as my substrate. Here is my list of possible ingredients and materials to grow in......

Premium Composted Poo (as seen in the pics)
Bed-a-beast coir
Peat
Medium grade verm
Pickeling Lime
(i can get some straw if needed, and chop by hand)

I have sterlite tubs (from 18 gallon to 30 gallon), turkey oven bags, 2.5 gallon and 1 gallon zip lock slider bags, aluminum bread trays, small lasagna aluminum trays, and aluminum turkey pans. the trays/pans will be placed in tubs for proper humidification.

I am using one of 4 choices of LC's I have ready....
B+, puerto ricans, gulf coast, and Hawaiin. I was thinking of either GC or B+.......

If using the composted poo, for pasturizing i am trying to find the oven tek used in this thread http://mycotopia.net...-ddd-style.html as I have the proper materials to do this, however I cannot find the actual tek in the vaults for the life of me.....

I am using a coolmist humidifier with aluminum flex tubing to pipe in to the FC's.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4949.JPG
  • 100_4954.JPG

#55 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

Doc's Wild Bird Seed Tek + underbed tray Tek = Bulk success IMO

changes/poi

1. use simple polyfill/teyvek tops for spawn jars
2. use 4 quarts of spawn per tray

The above two links lay everything out in super simple terms. I Hope this anwsers some questions. Write back if this wasn't what you were looking for .

:reb:
FP

#56 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

In a nutshell..Your gonna premix and hydrate your substrate, so it's ready to go once cooled..
Fill the ovenbags n' tie 'em closed..Really need to keep oven temps below 212F so u dont lose moisture ..I set at 185F They have to cook long enough that the core temp reaches 160F for an hour..This can take 3 hours or more depending how much stuff u have..

To help beat contams - spawn liberally for a fast finish..

#57 myco-curious

myco-curious

Mike O. Kuerias

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

for what it's worth, if you're getting trich before your first flush, nine times out of ten the contaminate was transferred along with the spawn (it was already in your jars) and you should look to improve your inoculation and incubation processes.

#58 viewer6922

viewer6922

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

here are some pics of my h-poo/straw/coir spawned trays, cased with 50/50 verm/coir....released to FC about 3 days ago, how does my Rh look, what do I need to do for maximum growth? I know I have read the vaults and read and read....I think all is well but I want to be sure all is great! Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• dec07spawn 004.jpg
  • dec07spawn 003.jpg
  • dec07spawn 002.jpg
  • dec07spawn 001.jpg

#59 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:41 AM

those are nice and evenly colonized..:thumbup: good rhizo. it's hard to tell but it looks like there is some knotting. a good sign that things are just fine ;)

what strain or strains?

#60 MushroomJoe

MushroomJoe

Mycotechnician

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Donator

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:55 AM

Looking good.. Can't wait for photos of the pin set!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!