• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

These are Maz "center" TX "left and right" They have been cased for nine days. I have no pins yet but hope to see some soon. One of my concerns is high RH. I try to keep it in the 70s but I notice the casing layer dries out quick. I have been doing this by cracking the chamber cover.

If I don't the RH goes up in the 80s to 90s. One other concern I have with the Maz is showing myc growth through the casing layer and the TX are not, but when I mist it is matting down the myc.

I have a sprayer that has a fine mist. I also mist not douce the casings. Why does this happen?

LOST the TX casings and pic of the cake are from the print you had sent me :D

Thanks
The Chef

Attached Thumbnails

• TX cake.JPG
  • TX Casing 9ds L casing.JPG
  • Casings nine days.JPG
  • TX CAsing 9ds R casing.JPG
  • MAz Casing Straw Poo 9 days.JPG

#2 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

Any day now PJB. RHs are good as my friend allows his to cycle without perlite in a tub from the 70's to 90's between fannings keeping temps at 70-72.

#3 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

Just to add a note to this. The casing had been made in the following way.

A layer of straw/poo a qt of Substrate, a nother layer of strw/poo, a nother quart of substrate. One more layer of straw/poo was laid down with a casing layer of peat/verm

So it is OK to let the RH be in the 80s? It is usually in the upper 80s.

I have a PC fan running 24/7 and the RH is that high because I have 6 13x9x2 casings in a 48gal rubbermaid container.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

it's ok to let the rh swing up a bit
as long as you see no condensation on the casing surface

#5 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

No condensatoin Hip. I guess from reading that high RH will cause cobweb, make deformed shrooms and over lay. I was / am trying to keep it down. Also reading that evap helps trigger pinning it was a concern to keep RH down.

Thank You for Your reply:

The Chef

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:36 AM

Chef, I too have maz and tex going. My Maz off of a quart of pcorn was just cased, and it pinned in 10 days. However, they are way small. Smaller than the ones that come off poo. Spawning to the poo and straw will add some time. My tex straw and tex casing haven't pinned yet either. I'm guessing they'll go when they're ready. I hope my tex aren't as small as my maz. I'm going to experiment with the small maz and try a couple cloning teks just for fun to see if they have the great pinning but grow bigger when mixed with poo/straw. I keep the humidity for my casings at about 80-85. I fan them a lot too. Do you notice that the tex sux the casing layer dry. I've been fine misting it daily till I see pins. I'm afraid once it does pin and fruit its going to just suck the casing dry. We'll see! Good Luck Friend!

#7 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:17 PM

Freak

Thanks for sharing. The Maz I have growing are from a spore print I got off my original grow back in Oct. I have never had anyones other grow to compare to. My Maz rarely ever got bigger than a bic lighter. With about 1 1/2 - 2 inch caps. My second or third flush I did get a few big guns or what I think are big guns Six inches with about 3 -
3 1/4 inch caps. Beleave me it was only a few one or two per casing. I also just did simple casings verm, substrate, then a casing layer of peat/verm.

About the cases getting sucked dry. Yes, my casings have shrunk a bunch. If and when I get a flush I intend to do a bleach dip and then a dunk. Well its been ten days now. Still no pins :(

I have read that doing the straw/poo thing would add on some time for pinning. I would like to know a rough estimate of how much time?

Well I'm going to get going for now.
Thanks
The Chef

#8 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

HEY HEY TEN DAYS.

I thought I was going to get my Maz first but it was the TX. LOST your spores beet mine. HEHE. Well I'll post some pics later. I'm late to work

The Chef

#9 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:21 AM

Right On Chef! My tex straw was standard 14 days to pin! Like clockwork. They came on 4-20! The tex casing still has no pins though. The tex and mex pal I did were cased same day, and inoc'd same date. Different subs for both, but I flushed the mex today and still no pins on tex! At least I can be happy for your tex! I am keeping vigil and waiting it out. 10 days is great for you! I'm suprised they beat the mexpals. To me the mex are quick pinners. They invitro on me before I get em birthed usually. Can't wait to see pix!

#10 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:55 AM

wow my first tex pins are 4-20 babies too, lol

#11 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

These are updated pics of the TX casings.

I noticed the mutated pinset in the morning. Now I look on the sides of the trays and I can see a bunch of pins. This took 10 days from spawning. The pins are of my TX. Maz still show nothing:(

I bet if I turned these casings over I would have a buch of pins on the bottom of the tray ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00209.JPG
  • right side of left casing.JPG
  • front side left casing.JPG
  • right tx casing.JPG
  • DSC00210.JPG
  • mutated pinset tx r casing.JPG

#12 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

It is possible they are getting more fresh air around the edges lettin em pin there and not on the top due to slight suffocation... or more water. :) Tex odd.. pins with little to no light.

#13 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:59 PM

Should I remove the casing layer considdering I did the straw/poo spawn? I beleave I was told after I put the casings together I didn't need it.

#14 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Well I decided to take the casings out of the pans because the amount of pins on the sides. I think one of my problems is the size of verm I used. It is a fine granual. It just might be suffercating the top myc. I am going to use the scots brand again. It is a larger granual. Here are some updated pics. Let me tell you I have a whole bunch of pins all around the TX casings "to small to pick up with cammera. The Maz still has no pins or noticeable knotting. Well time will tell.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00196.JPG
  • DSC00193.JPG
  • DSC00194.JPG
  • DSC00195.JPG

#15 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:18 PM

i see a few pins coming through the top of the casing. maybe its too wet? or matted down? or you just cant see the pins quite yet under the casing?

#16 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:29 PM

i see a few pins coming through the top of the casing. maybe its too wet? or matted down? or you just cant see the pins quite yet under the casing?

I think its matted down. Verm is to fine I think. I'm almost to afraid to touch the worthless casing layer I put on them. I don't want to destroy any pins that might be there creating them to rot. After this first flush I am going to remove the peat/verm layer.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:02 PM

did you add lime to offset the peat's ph ?

#18 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

did you add lime to offset the peat's ph ?

Yes Hippie. I did add lime. My PH is 7.0
I hope this is ok. I don't know why its only reading 7 because I did add a bit more than what the aliens tek calls for. I am making a referance to the peat/verm method.

As for the straw/poo. I beleave I made notes of it above.

Thank You Hip for replying you have always pointed me the correct way to go.

The Chef

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:00 AM

Chef, As far as verm goes I like to use the FTD kind. It works perfect for me for pf jars, casings, etc. It seems to be just the right size. I've never seen Scots brand verm. I'll have to check it out. My tex aren't pinning yet in my casing but taking over on the straw. Maybe tex don't like casings. If my casing doesn't do anything in the next week then I'm making a small straw log with it. Hope it pins on top for you! I can't believe your mex pals haven't pinned yet. Best of luck!

#20 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:34 PM

I had to give the digi back so no pics for now. I did decide to scratch and remove the casing layer on my MAz. The surface myc was not showing any signs of growth. We shall see if this works.
I do have a 5lb block of MYC/STRAW/POO

The Chef

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!