• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Twisted

Twisted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

So, I was lazy with one of my first cakes. I needed the lid back, so I set it down on top of some cardboard, and put that on top of the perlite. Well, it turned out to seem like a better idea than I realized. The cake started to colonize the cardboard! Plus, the cardboard wicked up a bit of water from the perlite, but not so much as to be excessively wet.

Anyone seen this before? I can't be the first.

I'm trying to upload pics, but the upload thinger won't work. I'll try again tomorrow.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

interesting...

#3 Twisted

Twisted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

Right... Pics were too big.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2064.jpg
  • IMG_2063.jpg
  • IMG_2062.jpg

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

bravo
:eusa_clap

i see nothing wrong with it,
pretty decent idea actually, imo.
:bow:

#5 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

ideas of using that cardboard to colonized a bulk substrate comes into my mind? possibly could cut it up and drop into some popcorn or wbs?

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

well, it would presumably not be sterile

#7 Twisted

Twisted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Yea, it seemed neat, so I put little circles of cardboard in under my cakes, above the verm for my recent dec's. I couldn't guess at what kind of a difference it might make, but it can't hurt!

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

cf. http://mycotopia.net...loning-tek.html

#9 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

well, it would presumably not be sterile

mayb a peroxide dip would fix that, if it was all done in a glove box?

#10 nepenthes_ak

nepenthes_ak

Wanderlust King

• Expired Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

Maybe you got a bad ass cake (assuming you used the PFTEK )? Shit ton of fast colonizing mycelium, and what not, this could be an option for ( cloning / isolating ?) couldn't it? Or would the Multi Spore play any part in it. Does one dominate mycelium take over the whole cake or is it shared?

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

we're still arguing about that...

#12 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

10 bucks says shared XP

#13 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

Wood will grow green mold when it gets wet in a warm, humid environment. I know, I've done it in my FC by mistake.

I'm glad you are trying it but I suspect that you'll find that you grow mold as well.

I'm not sure what the advantage is that you gain since you don't want to increase mycelium growth at this stage, rather you want your cakes to fruit.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

#14 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

I tried a similar thing months ago, except it was a casing in a cardboard box. It started off well, but eventually turned slimy on the bottom and all the pins failed to mature, except for the one big one. (http://mycotopia.net...rd-box-tub.html)

It is definitely an intriguing idea, but I couldn't think of any way to tweak what I was doing that might work. Also I'm too easily distracted, work too much, and don't have enough time to play around and experiment the way I'd like.

I'll definitely watch this thread to see how everything turns out. Seems like cardboard has a lot of potential to help in this hobby.

#15 Twisted

Twisted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

I harvested the cake in the picture 3-4 days ago, shortly after the pics were taken. I thought it had green mold on it, although in retrospect, it might just have been bluing/bruised. I dunno. Never wet my finger and rubbed the spot to test for trich.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried mixing sawdust with their vermiculite when doing a dec? Seems like it might be helpful. I'll try it with my next batch.

#16 Twisted

Twisted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Can anyone tell me if the 1st pic above looks like trich or bruising?

#17 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

Can anyone tell me if the 1st pic above looks like trich or bruising?

It doesn't look like trich to me. It looks dry to me, dehydration can cause that bruised appearance

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,994 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:07 AM

A self-regulating wick would be nice! This thread gave me an idea; maybe a small disk of cardboard could be cut that's slightly smaller than the jar diameter and placed on top of the substrate but below the dry vermiculite layer. Do this before PC'ing, of course, then when birthing just dump the verm and set the cardboard side down on some moist perlite. Might be good to poke a bunch of little holes in the cardboard before putting it in the jar in case the cardboard inhibits gas exchange in the jar too much. Just a thought...

#19 Twisted

Twisted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

Yes, I think the water-wicking potential would be of much greater benefit than any nutrition the cake might get from the cardboard.

I like the idea of putting a cardboard circle inside the jar before pressure cooking. Problem is, you kinda need to set the cake on top of something larger than the circumference of the cake itself. If you're going to do a dec, there needs to be something to put the verm on top of for the bottom half.

Maybe if you took a square piece of cardboard, cut out the circle and put it in the jar before PC'ing, but KEPT the remainder of the square... Then when you birth the cake, you can set the cake with its colonized cardboard circle back into the perfect fit hole in the middle of the square.

That was too much geometry for me. I need to smoke a bowl...

#20 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

I did the cardboard thing a year, year-and-a-half ago. It worked great for a while, then the cake contammed. The myc colonized the cardboard like a mutha, and the first flush was good.

However, I think that the cardboard allowed the cake to wick up too much water and the anaerobic nasties inside the cakes got realy happy. Doom on myc. There's mention in an old thread somewhere.

Glad to see someone going further with it, I think it has merit. Maybe some tape on the underside to limit the amount of water wicked?

Based on some old threads, cardboard seems fairly resistant to contamination. Probably no sterilization necessary. And a healthy cake can kill off the competition pretty easily.

Anyhoo, g'luck.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!