• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Moose

Moose

Big Game Shroomer

• Expired Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

Seeing this thread makes me remember my childhood. I was born in Kimberley but moved to Canada years ago. Haven't been back since '99. Was actually planning to come visit in the near future and would love to get my hands on some Transkei mushies! Would be an amazing way to get back in touch with my roots!

Hey manne, ek sien uit na my volgende kuier en rugby wedstryd!

Moose

#62 Getafix

Getafix

Old Hand

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hey manne, ek sien uit na my volgende kuier en rugby wedstryd!

Moose

Translation. "Hey men, I am looking forward to my next visit and Rugby Test match" :cool:

#63 PhungusPhan

PhungusPhan

Scholar

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Hello there fellow South Africans and fungus enthusiasts!
Young newbie mycotologist from Cape Town here!
Have been lurking on these forums for a while now to gather as much information as possible on my first grow endeavour (hundreds of pages of TEK's and threads)!
Stumbling upon this thread led to a prompt registration on my part as I think I could use as much help as possible from my more experienced fellow South Africans in my quest to set up and grow some beautiful specimens (I do not think that networking of (in my opinion) people with the right frame of mind regarding these little gems is a bad idea anyway)!

I was looking for assistance on:

1. Spores (I found someone who occasionally sells them on bob.co.za at a decent price, but would like as many sources as possible to get the best possible specimens and minimize my chances at failure!)

2. equipment suggestions for a terrarium (I've read pages and pages of TEK info, but many of the equipment suggestions are catered to Americans and finding cheap, viable equivalents or alternatives here is proving to be a bit tricky for me) that is as stealthy, low-maintenance, cheap, and efficient as possible (Budget being around R500 for the terrarium set-up - fish tank, humidifier, air pump, heater?) whilst giving me the greatest chance to have a good first go at growing (If anyone has a set-up they would like to sell second-hand I would be very interested in purchasing it even though from posts I have read here it seems that everyone is too much in love with the hobby to let something like that go).

3. Any tips you could provide on our local conditions that could affect growth

4. Any guidance or mentoring possible!

I plan to start my first project around the beginning of June so any help would be much much appreciated as I am very very keen on learning all the techniques and nuances required to make long-term hobby out of this.

Great to be a part of the community and hoping that in time I could become a valuable contributer on these forums (luckily time is on my side and I have years to learn)- thanks to all the posters who have been so kind to give up their time to provide such great information to us aspiring mycologists (been greedily absorbing as much of it as possible over the past couple of months!).

If anyone in the vicinity could help me out or if anyone else can, please send me a pm if you have the time and patience to deal with a noob (I'd rather not disturb members with relentless questions of detail in their message in box unless they could indicate they are willing to do so first). If not, I shall continue grafting through the information and hopefully I'll meet some of you when the spring trance season starts again!:dance:

Thanks again for all the helpful information on here and three cheers to the road ahead! :headbang:

PP

#64 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

hello from the UK. and welcome to the forum fungus phan

i got family some where over there although I'm sure i would have to go back a few thousand years to trace them.

:~}

#65 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

hay phungus phan.

although im not from your area. i can say that as far as a terrarium is concerned your options are only limited by your imagination.

heres one idea i had a while ago that would work fine, although Ive never tried it.

what you need

cardboard box. (get theis from local super markets or where ever you can think of)
black bin bag.
sticky tape of some kind. can be selotape masking tape packaging tape( some kind of tape)

to make

get your bin bag

open out the bin bag as if you were

place the bin bag inside the box.
push the bag into the corners.
selotape the top of the bag around the out side of the box to stop it from flying around.

then using a second bin liner have that loosely placed on top of the newly made terrarium to act as a lid then tape it down loosely. you don't want to fix this in place just tape it down enough so it does not come off.

then simply fill with salt water hydrated perlite or plum in your air pump water stone set up.

and there you have it a terrarium that costs nothing realy.

I'm in a bit of a hurry right now but if your unsure off this explanation then let me know and ill edit it into more of a reader friendly document later.

peace

zodd

Edited by zodd, 13 May 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#66 PhungusPhan

PhungusPhan

Scholar

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hey there!
Thanks for the help Zodd! Although I do very much like the simplicity and low cost of your terrarium suggestion, I can afford something bit more "thorough" than that!

My idea for the terarrium equipment so far involves the following elements:

- fish tank (1m x 30cm)
- 3-in-1 small ionizer/humidifier/air purifier
- plexiglass screen (is this needed if I am not going to be hand misting?)
- heating pad
- fish tank air pump
- home-made terrarium cover

Not sure how everything will be set up yet, but these items are within my budget range of around $80 so that is what I am considering (unless someone has better ideas of how to spend that money?).

I was also wondering how vital an incubator would be for the original colonization of the jars? Could I leave the jars in a box in a 20-30 celsius temperatured room/area or is more attention needed for this part?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

#67 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

thats cool. i was mainly suggesting it because i don't live in your area and i cant vouch for things that will be readily available for you. I'm in the process of putting together a tek for it as i think its a great way of putting together a terrarium at short notice with low investment.

gota love those ghetto solutions.

just a thought but most here like to use plastic tubs over aquariums. the reasons being that they are cheap, durable. lightweight, and can be modified easily. with say a knife or a drill. this last one is important because it is good to have some holes in your tub for gas exchange.

the drip shield is unnecessary IMO. unless you are planning on manually spraying your tubs or your are struggling with condensation issues on the lid. which depending on how you set up your fish pump humidifier may be an isue.

good luck with that dude.

#68 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

i got family some where over there although I'm sure i would have to go back a few thousand years to trace them.

Same goes for everyone else on the internet ;)

#69 Da-1

Da-1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 403 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hi every one, Durban over here I am glade I found this lovely site with all this information on and even better with some fellow SA ppl, spring has just started the season is still dry from the winter but I have been asking locals about mushrooms (amakhowe) I can`t drive to transkie to look for them so I have been looking my own province, I hope I can post all that I want to ask in this tread, I have been looking all over the web and know these specie do grow here in SA, Gymnopilus sp,Panaeolus cinctulus, Psilocybe natalensis, Psilocybe semilanceata, I have shown pictures of all the images I could just about find on these mushrooms to the locals and they have seen them but only when the rainy season starts, but if any else in SA finds please let me know thanks.

#70 davidwillson

davidwillson

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

Has anyone here yet picked any Psilocybe natalensis yet?

mjshroomer

They are in Natal and Pretoria in South africa.

Look like cubes, bno rings or veil remnants and grow quite tall.
pictures can be seen at http://www.mushroomj...org/species.htm

have a shroomy day

That is what is known as a termite mushroom. IT belongs to the genus

Termitomyces titanicus form Africa. I have posted here before a picture of two kids holding one over two feet in diameter.

here it is again,

#71 RichShroom

RichShroom

Former Member

• Free Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

Has anyone here yet picked any Psilocybe natalensis yet?
mjshroomer

They are in Natal and Pretoria in South africa.

Hey Mj,

We're organising a serious hunt this year for Natalensis.

Hope to get some samples, and prepare sme slants to circulate to international libraries and collectors.

We have GPS co-ordinates for the past locations, and are waiting for the right prevailing weather conditions.

It's warmed up enough by the coast (around 150km away), and I'm seeing a lot of wild mushrooms around me, but it is still too cold inland.

If anyone has any tips or info that may help us, please PM me ... Mj that includes you !

Cheers
Rich

#72 MrMerlin

MrMerlin

Chews fingers

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

Care to share those coordinates? I'll be in Durban until winter, would love to go hunting :weedpoke:

#73 grootissue

grootissue

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

hey people! Noob shroomer from bloemfontein. Great to see some sa people. I want to go mushroom hunting in winter in knysna, anyone done it yet?

#74 gardenboy

gardenboy

Fr̸̡e͟a̡̧k̛

• Free Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

Greets from the 021!
Just got my first pachanoi that I am trying to bring back. Keen to try shrooming, so when I have new pups, perhaps fellow members would be keen to trade.

#75 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hey everyone, been on this site for a while now but have never really introduced myself to the international community.

Pretty much I was born and raised South African, however, as im sure most of you understand, I immigrated to Australia in 2008. Originally from Pietermaritzburg, Natal, but I grew up in a small farming community in the Underburg area (Boston, if anyone's heard of it).

Good to see a healthy community presence.

#76 Phlux-

Phlux-

Psychonaut

• Expired Member
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

so a friend found and ate p.natalensis - i will be going to pick some soon as spots have been identified now.
its also season to go picking wild p.cubensis in the transkei again :D

#77 giminiboss

giminiboss

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hey guys I'm from SA cpt I only joined topia abt an week ago so I'm still new to toto this bt anyway guys nd girls I was jst wonderin if any of u could maybe tell mme what's the best spots to look for em magic mushies in cpt itself can be anyone of the species bt it must be a magic shroom pls guys wana start growing my own mushies nd than later share with u guys if I'm sucesful tanx hope u can help me with that guys! Pease out

#78 Phlux-

Phlux-

Psychonaut

• Expired Member
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

finally i have found and eaten em - pix to come when they come
  • Erkee likes this

#79 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Donator

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm from the Overberg in the Western Cape

#80 littlejonny

littlejonny

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

No way bru, me 2!!!!

I have been looking around the area for some local mushies but i have only found some laughing gyms. have you had any luck?
  • AGAMA likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!